rF2 Tire Model Kicks Arse.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamie Shorting, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

A'ight, who registered as Jamie Shorting and what have you done with the Jamie Shorting everyone knows?

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

It's quite tough to say without looking at motec. At LRP I can get the fronts up to 90C on the end of the straight on lap 25. If you look at the data of lap 5 on the same area of the track, that same tire is 30 degrees cooler. :) The biggest difference I see is driving style. The race I did yesterday another vette driver had to pit for tires because he was clearly over driving/sliding the car. He would have made it if he just let the temps settle down and started to drive the car properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
  3. Jamie Shorting

Hi Matt. :)

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Definitely seen it at Sebring and Poznan (non-ISI.admittedly) but am pretty certain at Silverstone too. Will check when I am home tomorrow.

5. C3PO

C3PO Registered

BTW, I am going by the tyre temp indicator you see in cockpit.

6. Jamie Shorting

From what I can tell those temps are an average of I/M/O.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Holy crap, we agree twice now!

The new tire model, flatspotting and tire wear ramp up the intensity of longer format and mid-length format races like no other sim. It's amazing how much races change when they are long enough that the tire wear becomes an issue.

8. Jamie Shorting

According to the known issues readme it's an unfinished tire model. Temps it seems in motec are surface temps and I can only guess that temps shown ingame are carcass temps since the "middle is always hot" issue is not there looking at data. Again, though just a guess since no dev has actually said that.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I rather have a sim chassis and tyres feel great then accurate data, besides, there were no HUDs in the 1960's.

lol :)

10. Jamie Shorting

Here's an interesting bit on this years F1 tires. After reading it you might not want to make blanket statements on tires anymore. It's an interesting little read. Fun Fact: Teams don't know what compounds are used to manufacture the tire.

http://techpageone.dell.com/technol...sis-gives-caterham-f1-advantage/#.Uu8JB_ldVRy

"We try to do as much science as we can, but at the end of the day tires really are a black art."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

one thing I have noticed is that on a parade lap, I'll warm up the tires but when I get to the line and the green drops, my tire temps are always very low according to the HUD- but according to the grip I get from them, they are warm. So I am not sure what temp the HUD is showing, but it has to be surface. The carcass of the tire and wheel assembly retain heat that the HUD does not show. So is Motec reading this same temp?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

With the game only providing one set of temperatures (inside, middle, outside) and the TGM specifying a depth which is pretty much at the surface... I would have thought the game provides the surface temps only. I can't quite remember if I checked what the game said against the data/motec log, though.

13. JuGo

JuGo Registered

Wear simulation

And it is a pretty good performance considering the layout (about 60 "hard-on-the-LeftFront" laps).
    rF2 is awesome : I just can't drive anything else since the end of september 2013.
    I bought it in April 2013 and I remember how I was cooking the Maro tyres in only 5 laps @ LimeRock-NoChicane...

About the tyre model, I wonder if the wear is simulated for the Inside/Middle/Outside separately (or even more precisely !) or if it is only one calculation for the entire tyre ?
    I have the feeling in rF1 it was only 1 value.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, seemed in rF1 it was just a global tyre value that affected the whole thing.

Keep in mind in rF2 you can have several flat spots on a tyre. These aren't 'canned' flatspots; you can put them anywhere on the tyre, and if you drive along very slowly you can see the individual flatspots as the tyre rotates, and see the suspension movement as each one is reached and passed. The vibration you feel when you're going fast with them isn't a "we have a flatspot, turn on vibration" 'effect' - the tyre is out of shape, that interacts with the road surface, the whole road-tyre-geometry interaction is affected and you have an impact on suspension deflection and steering arm feedback.

So I'd almost bet my left one there are multiple points across and around the tyre. Is it every TGM bristle around the tyre? Is every node across the tyre stored? Who knows. But given tyres are a pretty major part of the car behaviour it wouldn't surprise me.

The funny thing is when the tyre model is discussed you end up with people talking about how cars 'feel', or talking up games that ultimately are based on the rF1 model. Of course feel is important, but you can make a good model feel bad or a bad model feel good. If you look at the technology, and the potential, it really seems like rF2 is a step ahead.

15. MJP

MJP Registered

It's been like this from the very start yet there's been little discussion about it, the only way to get the inside temp higher than the middle is to slap a load of -ve camber on it. Perhaps it's just coincidence that some of the cars affected by this drive like they have overinflated tyres. Whatever's going on though the temperature information acquired by Motec isn't anywhere near as useful in rF2 as it was in rF1.

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Most people don't understand that this tire model is most of the reason rF2 frame rates are not as good as games with similar looking graphics. The PC is doing a lot of work back there just figuring out what the tires are doing.

I'm looking forward to when we have PCs that are powerful enough that AI can run with the same tire model humans do. As it is now, we are limited to the AI using the old .TBC model like in rF1 while we (humans) use the newer .TGM tire model. If the AI used it and we used it, our PCs could not handle it. I don't know what'd happen but probably your PC would just lock up when there were too many tires for the machine to calculate.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My i5-2600K runs about 30% with zero AI cars and the framerate capped at 60fps. rF1 runs at about 24% with zero AI and also capped at 60fps. The tire model is very complex but most of the calculations are done with the +ttool in devmod. It tests the tire at various slip angles, temps, pressures, loads ect ect and puts the results in a lookup table (which is why TGM files are so big). So when you are in realtime the tire model looks at all the variables and then queries the lookup table for what the grip level needs to be. So really there isn't much calculating going on. The +ttool takes hours to run depending on how much detail you want in the tire. If the game actually calculated all this stuff in real time we really would need supercomputers.

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

then why does the AI use the older tire model?

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The AI uses rF1 player physics to reduce system usage obviously.

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Read up a few, Tim. Keep up with the conversation. I said the same and was corrected