RF2 Online Driver & Safety Ranking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveMack, Dec 11, 2023.

1. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Hi,
    I don't know how everybody feels about it but buying the cars and tracks and then getting demoted by this ranking and not being able to race what you paid for is something to talk about.
    For instance, I ran off the vir track, flipped and I didn't know it, but a wheel came off, I limped back to the pits thinking I had a flat, I overshot the pit stall because the brakes were shot, I finally got it to go in reverse and started backing up to the stall, before I even make it to the stall I'm Disqualified and put in last place, then I lose my Silver safety ranking and now have to drive a bunch of beginner races again to make that up.
    If someone wrecks you.
    You lose your rankings, am I right.
    I don't have a suggestion at this point to change it to, but once you move up you should be allowed to stay there from your experience. I do realize it's a way to keep the racing clean, but to lose your ranking for a slight error or somebody wrecking you is (I don't know).
    What do you think about it.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Sorry, but backing up on track with a wheel off, that's totally your fault. Not knowing a track and going on a race is also a big fault.
    Learn from it and never do it again ...

And also, think it different, if somebody has a high rank he can do whatever he wants and stay high ? That's not how it works.

You need to maintain your level and not only gain it.

3. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

It's a no fault system. You don't have to run a bunch of rookie races to get back to silver, just a couple I'm sure.

4. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Second online race at the track, practiced online and offline at the track a number of times before. Backed up in the pits.
    Didn't say or think you can do whatever you want.

DanRZ likes this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You crashed, by your description it was your own fault. Safety rating drops. The DNF, would have happened anyway. (no wheel)
    Get in there with the kids and boost yourself back up. It's racing either way, isn't that why we are here?

pkelly and Allwin20200 like this.
  6. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

This says it all really.

If there was a better system Im pretty sure all sims would use it.
    Ranking works over time and isnt something designed to work on a race to race basis so Im guessing you were just barely silver?
    If you always drive safe and have the occaisional crash I doubt you will get hurled back into rookies.

7. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Your right, I just got the silver and was on my second race with the silver.
    I am also of the thinking of finishing the race so I am not out of control but cautious.
    Yea I am sure I can get to the point of not getting Hurled :)

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  8. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I like that, get in there with the kids, that is funny You made my day!!!:D

Lazza likes this.
  9. Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood Registered

There are race starts that go completely wrong at T1 or T2 and several cars are collateral damage. But it seems that you are penalized whether you 're the victim or the culprit.

Will that ever change or get refined?

PH

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Other than requiring human stewards, I can't think of a way for a Computer to resolve issues like that. The cost in manpower would make a human solution unlikely.

Paul Harwood likes this.
  11. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, I don't see how that could be refined unless you have a human checking every incident, which is not done in this kind of competition system. I guess in the future we could have some kind of AI that would judge incidents as good as a human, but don't think we are quite there yet. iRacing has more or less exactly the same penalty system.

12. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I am with you on that, I actually believe it can never be the same as humans watching over the race and watching every car as they do at races today.
    The real only way would have real humans watching every car at every race. It's not that big a deal in real life but online it would be monumental.

13. Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood Registered

Hey Dave! Lou Magyar says hi! Long time since D3D and Daytona '06!

I would imagine an AI app could be trained to act in place of human realtime stewards ... eventually ...

Cheers!
    PH

p.s. Lou said to invite you to race GPL with LoPeN on Thursday nights!:)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

D3D was an attempt to build a full pay mod for rFactor1. About 30 of us went to Daytona from all over the world for a chance to take photos, record sounds, learn physics values, in the end it failed....but what fun!
    IF I remember correctly, Lou was the one who got me out to the bus stop chicane during the night while the race was underway Right out there on the grass while the cars came bouncing by. WHAT and experience for a small town Dad from Eastern Washington! We almost got kicked out of the circuit on Thursday when we got too close to the trackside fencing. The Wayne Taylor Suntrust DP crashed directly in front of me when Emmanuel Collard was driving. EXCEPT...I chose that moment to move 10 feet from one side of a pick-up truck to the other. By the time I got back to the fence, the accident had happened, all I saw was the scattered debris.
    We sponged off the PRESS and ate at their cafeteria for days. Got up on top of the roof on Friday....SO many memories.
    Please say hi to Lou, I'll always be grateful for that week. Right now my wheel is boxed up as I'm getting ready to move for about the 12th time in 8 years....and GPL??? You can probably find my name on GPL Rank, IF you have an hour to scroll down near the bottom...LOL!

Paul Harwood likes this.
  15. Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood Registered

The Bill Tillman/Lou Magyar-led D3D team had all-access credentials for every part of the Daytona road course for the entire week. It was a total blast. My room mates were Andy Driscoll and the late Sean Edwards, European GT racer. I will always cherish that experience.
    I will relay your comments to Lou. Best of luck on the move.

PH