rF2 Lite...Likely or not?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Knight of Redemption, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

So, I have found rF1 lite invaluable and wondered if there are any plans to have the same for rF2?

2. Type-R

Type-R Registered

Right now we have rF2 lite, since installation comes without mods/tracks.

3. Knight of Redemption

Yeah...Well lets say I'm thinking ahead shall we?

4. MJP

MJP Registered

Well I imagine you could always make your own like you could in rF1 and do a better job of it, I know I did long before rF Lite ever saw the light of day. The rF1 Lite caused a lot of problems due to it missing quite a few default files that some mods required, it only came with 1 track/car and just the files needed for that.

5. Knight of Redemption

I have never had an issue with rF lite, and it's value in being able to use it for League mods that could sometimes clash with others had been a godsend. Keeping the full program for official ISI mods and rF lite for other mods means no clashes ever.

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Good thinking Knight... rf2 Lite would be good to have and hopefully it`ll come along. I also never had any problems with rf Lite...

7. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I don't understand - what would be included in rf2 lite? rf2 has by default no tracks or cars so rf2 is lite by default or am I missing something?

8. Knight of Redemption

Well yes, you can have as many Lite installs as you like, without it effecting the core program...maybe rF2 will be like this because as you say it has by default no cars and tracks...has anyone actually got more than one install on the same HD with different mods installed? I see no mention of it and am disinclined to experiment.

9. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Yes you can install into separate Core (Core1, Core2, ...) and Data (Data1, Data2, ...) folders.
    Currently the problem is that in the Mod manager you can "Set Mods path..." but it seems this value is shared between installations (but installed data is not so you can have 1 packages directory and many Data directories). In the end you don't even need Packages (after you install them).

10. MJP

MJP Registered

As Abriel says *at the moment* we have "rF2 Lite" already but come gold time rF2 will come with cars and tracks, it just depends how ISI is going to do it. Thinking about it a 'full version' could easily be 4 or 5GB so I think it'll be pretty much as it is now you install the required base content then hopefully can choose from a menu which cars/tracks you want to install because ISI said they were going to make the cars and tracks separate without any dependencies like there are atm.

@KoR I currently have 12 rF2 installs spanning B49 to B118, I really need to tidy my rFactor2 folder up but when you've got a 4TB hard drive its not really a pressing concern lol.

11. Knight of Redemption

Heh I have just one and it works so I am very disinclined to tinker...I did try two installs once and ended up with two non working versions LOL so I deleted them both did one full install that went flawlessly and worked, so heaved a great sigh of relief and have not messed since :)

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The installer *is* rF2 Lite.

13. Knight of Redemption

Okay, safe to assume then things will improve in the whole installing of mods into different installs of the program, at the moment it is a lot less instinctive than rF1...not that that was instinctive now I think on it LOL Just got used to it I guess.

14. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Just to throw this out there.

But why will you need multiple installs of rF2 ONCE it goes gold (not the once it goes gold part there as I assume most of the issues will be resolved).

Let me explain. I currently run separate installs for rF1 for general use, F1 league, F1 League practice, Beta Testing (about 3 for that), Mod Creation and just a couple of backups.

rF2 doesn't require those.

Mod Dev is for the BETA/Mod creation/testing.

With the vMod system I don't NEED all of those other installs (of what we have been told and predictions of where it will be). Mods can be installed/uninstalled from the main menu, and with some forethought and planning ALL content should be released and installed as components with only vMods linking the content for each use.

I just do not think we will require as many installs (if more than 1) to be able to organize etc. Probably wrong and some assumptions made on proposed changes by the ISI staff (for example the Skins component) and some thought and guessing based on what I can see (ie The Folder structure allowing for the possibility of new update not replacing files but being used instead).

Of course, that also depends on what modders are able to change etc and the imagination they come up with including plugins etc.

15. schuee

schuee Registered

Well it gets tiresome having to reset my wheel settings for everymod......

16. Knight of Redemption

Well apart from the fact we already as has been pointed out we already have the equivalent of rF Lite...obvious once it was pointed out. My reasoning was this, come Gold there will be many mods and if as in rF1 sometimes mods conflict with each other, or with plugins you may use, then it would be necessary to have a separate install. Now as you say maybe this will not be so prevalent in rF2...Just seemed a good idea at the time, and as a result of the post I learned a couple of things that had passed me by so it's all good ;)

17. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yeh sweet. Your question just got me thinking that was all :)