SOLVED rF2 keeps minimising to taskbar while playing.

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Justy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Justy

Justy Registered

As the thread title says, rF2 keeps minimising whilst I'm playing. It always returns back to game when I click on the rF2 icon on the taskbar to bring it back.... usually with my car embedded in the barrier or similar. :rolleyes:

I've only noticed this problem recently, although it's difficult to say exactly when it started as it seems to be completely random when it decides to do it. It did this in build 300 at least but don't recall it doing it before. I only have this problem with rF2. It can happen both offline and online; with ISI content, as well as third party stuff. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I have other applications running at the same time, or not. I have tried a fresh install of rF2 and I've also tried setting my firewall in "game mode", still the problem persists.

My specs are..

Mobo - ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2
    CPU - AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3ghz
    GPU - AMD Radeon HD7950 @ 1000 core and 1500 memory (Using Beta Catalyst drivers 13.11v7, however I had same problem with official release drivers too)
    Memory - 16gb RAM
    HDD - 2TB SATA
    O.S. - Win 7 Professional 64bit
    Anti Virus - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Firewall - Comodo

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated. :)

Regards Justin

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Another application seems to be stealing focus. Try running rF2 in window mode (which will be a fullscreen window, looking the same as fullscreen does). rF2 should then be able to continue when it happens, and also you might get to see what is causing it.

3. Justy

Justy Registered

Ok, I guess it must be something running in the background that's causing it. Thanks for the suggestion, will try that.

EDIT: Meant to mention in my OP, that this only occurs in rF2. I can run other applications full screen with no issues.. but maybe rF2 is more sensitive to background processes?

4. Justy

Justy Registered

Update: Well running rF2 in windowed mode seems to have done the trick and... as an unexpected bonus, seems to have given me a very small FPS boost in the process. Thanks for the help! :)

2nd Update: Ok, although I could have sworn I'd tested rF2 with no other apps running at the same time, that might not have been the case. I'm pretty sure its either Skype or Google Chrome which are the culprit(s), but need to do more experimenting to be sure. I would've stuck with windowed mode and made do, but rF2 doesnt seem to run as well (small stutters all the time), even though my FPS is slightly improved. :confused:

Aren't PC's funny things... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  5. Justy

Justy Registered

Think I've finally figured the problem out now (yay me! ;) ). Been playing all night with rF2 in fullscreen mode with no issues.... so far at least... but normally it would have done it by now. The problem was that I have a Microsoft XBOX 360 controller, which I occasionally use for other games. When I first got it, all I did was plug it in to my PC and allowed windows to install the drivers for it automatically, I didn't install or download any other software for it and the controller worked fine, so I assumed that was all that was needed. Bizarrely, the fact I didn't install anything extra is why rF2 and indeed some other fullscreen apps can minimise themselves whilst you are playing.

Thought I should post what I "think" is the problem; as no doubt other people will have an xbox pad they use with their PC and could run into similar issues.

Link to discussion I found about this ----------> http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1774796/game-auto-minimizing.html

Link to Microsoft downlaod page ------------> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Since Build60 on my 24" I have used full screen (1920x1080) in windowed mode.

Flawless multitasks in rF2, you can have apps on top.

You do not see any windows borders.

Why would you use full screen would be my question.

7. Justy

Justy Registered

Well as I said, windowed mode seemed to create more stuttering for me and when it did try and minimise itself, I would get a much bigger stutter/pause and the windows border would appear (quite distracting) so I really wanted to get to the bottom of the problem. I might try windowed mode again now I'm 99% sure I found the root of the problem.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk now Free

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

2 days earlier:

Please Durge... please read before you post. (and hey, I use windowed mode too, but this guy had issues with it... so let's not assume he should do what we do, eh?)

Justy, look forward to a post in a few days with still no issues and glad you've (fingers crossed!) found it. And would like to thank you on behalf of anyone who cares that you've taken the time to update the thread in case anyone else has a similar problem and finds it in a search :)

9. Justy

Justy Registered

Cheers Lazza, I certainly hope this relatively easy fix is all that's needed... So far so good anyway. I'm actually quite surprised this appears to be a fairly isolated problem. A search of the forum prior to me starting the thread didn't really give me any answers and there were only a couple of threads I found with similar symptoms but no solutions other than check your anti virus and firewall software.

I will report back at the weekend with how rf2 has behaved.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did he say it was FULLSCREEN window ? well ? what am I a mind reader ? Get a Life you read whats posted properly.

and it does not stutter with single 1920 in fullscreen window, that is bs, get a decent PC ! sorry ???

Look below why would you want to use that poxy ALT-TAB

I am in room talking to you edit screens and 5 other things have not left the room does not pause when you switch tasks . lol alt-Tab lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Cant do this fullscreen

:confused:

:D

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I have a life, and he said when he ran in windowed mode and the mysterious task interrupted it the window border appeared - which certainly suggests to me he was in fullscreen windowed mode. No psychic ability required.

Your self-assuredness is remarkable, I'll give you that much. The 2 posts above are completely pointless by the way, but don't let that slow you down.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Glad you found out the cause, as well. All very well having a fix, but not knowing can be annoying as well. ;)

15. Justy

Justy Registered

You do all that and drive at the same time? :confused: