rF2 Help

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Michael Eyres, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Michael Eyres

Michael Eyres Registered

Hello,

Wondering if I can get any help as the normal rf2 discord hasn't helped
    I recently reinstalled RF2 since getting a new PC and upgrading to triple monitors however my game is crashing any time I press ESC or sometimes randomly when driving.

My specs are as follows:
    i9-9900k @5ghz
    MSI RTX 3090
    32GB Ram

I do not believe this to be a performance issue as when I use the in-game monitoring the CPU (purple) bar is very low indicating no issue and the green bar is full, also indicating no issue.
    Everything I have tried so far.
    Verifying game files
    Reinstalling rf2
    Checking driver version
    Reinstalling driver version
    Changing all graphic settings to low
    Turning off all plugins
    Changing from fullscreen > Borderless > Windowed
    Turning off nvidia surround and only running 1 monitor
    Enabling trace files (Although I'm quite technical I cannot see any alarming issue that would cause the game to crash in the trace file however another set of eyes might be helpful)
    Changing car/track combo (Official content and non official content)

I have uploaded 5 of the most recent traces where they all crash but I cannot find anything that is causing my game to crash. - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wrK4X6bjjakEcFQD1FRv25Q8ExxYorFf?usp=sharing

Any help would be really appreciated. I can be contacted on discord under the username 142778614822338560 or Michael Eyres#0033

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When you reinstalled rF2, did you delete the install folder before reinstalling?

And have you tried running it from drive C: rather than R: ?

3. Michael Eyres

Michael Eyres Registered

I have deleted the folder before reinstalling. I don't see how changing the drive would matter steam is on my R: drive

4. Herve_Versabeau

Herve_Versabeau Registered

Delete USERDATA and restart game

5. Michael Eyres

Michael Eyres Registered

This would have already been done when reinstalling the game. Would have been a fresh userdata

6. Herve_Versabeau

Delete UserData\Config_DX11.ini and restart

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Should he also delete his shaders and cbash???

Do you understand that all these files are in the rF2 installation folder, which he deleted when he reinstalled the game? They're all fresh...

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

rF2, at it's core, is a VERY old game. Drive letters using all of the alphabet were probably not on the original programmer's minds when they began working on the sim. So that suggestion about trying a different drive letter has, in the past, helped users. (it does not mean this is YOUR solution, just one thing to try)
    Next, when you use STEAM to un-install rF2, lots of folders and content gets left behind, Steam only removes what it put in. So there is a strong chance whatever was causing the problem was left behind. To properly remove rF2, first use the Steam un-install, then use windows explorer to delete ALL the folders & files inside rFactor2. (If you have created wheel/pedal profiles, back those up before doing any of this).
    Once you finish re-installing, even though you have previously done it, do the file verification.
    Finally if you can get rF2 working again, thoroughly test it without any mods. Use either ISI or S397 cars & tracks. Only after a good solid testing of stock content should you begin to add back other items. (which means you should probably delete as much as you can from the workshop prior to all of this ...again...sorry, things just pop in)
    So start there. Change to a much lower drive letter, I would suggest H:\ or lower, completely remove rFactor2 and all it's folders, then re-install and verify again before ever trying to launch.
    Good luck...let us know how that progresses.

9. Herve_Versabeau

I understand that, but sometimes it can still solve a problem

10. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

It probably has nothing to do with it, but cull through the other programs that may be running in the background. I know if I have Teams or Zoom running from work and then start RF2, I have all sorts of terrible things happen.

11. Michael Eyres

Michael Eyres Registered

UPDATE:

After some more testing I fount in event viewer I was getting a pid.dll error. When trying to search this on the forums I came across said post: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/pid-dll-crash-64bit.54579/

It seems that when my Direct Drive has a Firmware upgrade this caused the refresh rate of the wheel feedback to be too high for what the wheel could actually handle and was causing the game to crash.
    Downgrading my firmware found that the game no longer crashed when escaping to the garage or resetting the FFB on track.

Such a bizarre issue but this post has been available since 2017. You'd think the developers would put some sort of FFB refresh rate task into the game that you can adjust.

Anyhow like anything reported they'll look into it...

Thanks everyone for helping

davehenrie likes this.
  12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The FFB rate in rFactor 2 is nothing unusual. That post says the issue is a flawed USB controller in the motherboard. If that's really your issue, the possible solutions are looking for a BIOS upgrade that might solve the problem (if that's possible) or install a USB PCI-E card that doesn't suffer this flaw.