NEED INFO rF2 crashing with new GTX760

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Galaga, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Build 342 has not crashed once on me until yesterday after I installed new GTX760. It is EVGA overlocked version. Yesterday rF2 crashed about 5 times mostly right after loading a track IIRC. All is fine after simply restarting rF2 and re-loading the track. So my concern is does this indicate a hardware problem with my card? Is there anything I should be doing or change? I personally don't mind it crashing since I don't change tracks that often at all. But I do want to know if there is an issue with my graphics card in case I should take in back within the return period. Thanks.

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Re-install the game. Delete you .PLR file and reconfigure the game after.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Did you have an AMD card before? If so it could be a conflicting driver issue.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You did properly uninstall old drivers and reinstall new ones, etc, right? I doubt crashing of just rF2 would be hardware, more likely driver software.

5. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

May I add, I have a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB and the new 342 build and latest nVidia driver (as of 28th october) and my rFactor 2 crashed once after the loading bar for silverstone had completed. It did not happen again after that, but it was the first time I experienced this with any build.

6. 88mphTim

Hm, you should have more than enough vRAM to run Silverstone as well. THANK YOU for posting that. :)

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK I will try this if it happens again. Interestingly I have not had a single crash for the last two days. Weird.

Yes you are correct. I did uninstall the AMD driver but now that you mention it it reminds me of the clean utility or whatever that is that completely removes the drivers so I can try that also if it happens again. Also I failed to mention that I was also getting video freezing for between sub-seconds up to 5 or more seconds but this only happened a few times which is probably why I forgot because it stopped happening. The small amount of research I did do on that problem had some people indicating possible overheating but not sure why that would go away.

Yeah good idea. Also I did uninstall and reinstall Nvidia drivers and also later upgraded to newer drivers to test shadow play so maybe that also helped. One thing I probably need to do also is re-configure all the Bart S settings in inspector if those are no longer there........or not! Hmmmmmm.....

Anyway, you guys gave me plenty of things to check and I thank you for that.

Tim, also I like the [need more info] in red in the thread title. Nice.

8. oqvist

oqvist Registered

I have similar issues. I have had issues for a long time with getting one CTD at every other rfactor 2 launch. I have had to do 5-10 attempts to get into a server. Once into a server never a problem.

But now I just can´t for my life get into either sp or mp. Two days ago it ran normally not done anything since. First I could get to the lobby but after fiddling with settings I get absolutely nowhere. Doing the trace=100 thing it does stop at Vidman but I run the same GTX 580 as always. I tried older drivers that worked before as well as the latest.

Absolutely naked Rfactor 2 installation but there is no way to get the game to launch.

9. 88mphTim

How many screens are you running? How much vram?

Sent using Tapatalk - excuse the short post, etc

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

When I switched from AMD to Nvidea I could not get rid of CCC. It was there like a virus and had to reinstall Windows.

11. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Just a singel monitor on my Gtx 580. Started a new thread been running my sig on this build before so why it would be impossible now

12. coops

coops Banned

This happened to me 1ce and i had to reset the nvidia settings when i did a build update..so now i do it every time just in case.

13. Bart S

Bart S Member

Tim I think I also suffered the same fate only on this new build and latest nords, crashed immediatley after getting into lobby CTD. It was fine the second time.

14. Bart S

Bart S Member

Guys the best way to get rid of your old drivers would be like this

remove nVidia or like this remove AMD / ATI

do not use any driver sweeps, eventually you will corrupt your registry, I have been there done that.

As those two sources are getting old things may have jiggle about abit but the principle of searching and finding is the same.
    Do not remove anything you arnt sure of in the registry, there are things like AMD labels references that need to be there.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have a 760 and I get CTD when I try to launch big tracks for the first time. It just happens a lot. If I try to launch a mod that is resource hungry at a big track- like Silverstone or Ring_Tourist the game will CTD at least on the first attempt to load every time. Usually I restart the game and get in fine though. But if I run BES + Ring_Tourist it's a no-go because it just won't load most of the time and if it does it runs like it's stuck in molasses. Howstons at Silverstone can be pretty tough too.

16. 88mphTim

Anybody new into this getting this, see if deleting the old shaders from:
    \Documents\rFactor2\UserData\Log\Shaders
    ...helps.

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

define old? There are 85 items in there with the oldest being from 10/24/13

18. 88mphTim

If you don't mind the sim loading a bit slower next time, delete them all, if you're being affected by issues with a new gfx card.