rF2 and the look of it - Where will we go?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by GTrFreak, Jan 20, 2012.

1. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Hi guys,

First, a small introduction. I'm F. Koop from the Netherlands and have been a simracer since GP2 by Geoff and throughout the years I've played the GP Series, F1 'xx series, Simbin titles, LFS, a little NetkarPro when the demo came out and ofcourse rF1. I'm an owner of a G25 which does it's job fantastically after my other Thrustmasters were dying on me. I've raced in some leagues and enjoyed it as well. I'm not really someone with the skills to contribute mind-blowing stuff to the community but I do like to be part of it as someone who can help others or just race with other simracing enthousiasts.

Where's this post about, I hear you say. Well, I have been following the development of rF2 from the beginning. I was one of the first who downloaded and installed it and I'm already loving the base rF2 has. There's something I have to get of my chest, though. Don't get me wrong, the feeling of the game is excellent. I mean, it is believable, drive-able (?) and a lot of fun when you have made some adjustments in those .plr, .ini -files. Also the fact the whole scene is dynamic is just amazing! The '60s cars a pleasure to drive/drift and slide and the historic tracks are amazing. As some of you I do think the other cars lack in quality. Now, don't flame me for saying this, I know it's just a beta and I know it will be better in the future. But tháts something I'd like to ask/discuss in the thread: Where are we now, and where will we end up in lets say.. 2 years from now?

I understand lots of you will say it's impossible to answer but let me explain my question a bit further.

When I started up rF2 and drove my first laps, I was blown away with the potential I saw already. I enjoy every dynamic bit in rF2. But there's a downside. However it is fantastic that the weather is finally there and in combination with the dynamic time of day it's a huge challenge to drive, I am a bit worried about rF2
    Again, it's in its beta stage right now but I keep looking at the lighting bugs (sun, shadows, lights casting over shadows, weird lighting at véry specific times of day).

Look, I do know things about computers and I know every little bit of information in a game has to be processed by the computer I am a bit worried about where we are, right now, 2012. I do see the potential, I do see it needs to be finetuned and I do think it can look a hell of a lot better than it's looking right now but do you guys get my point? I'm a hundred percent sure it will be an awesome simulation but for me graphics are important to immersion. This is the main reason I left rF1 alone I think 1,5 years ago. I hoped rF2 looked better and it does! But I find it a bit dissapointing.

Now my main question for you guys: What do you think about the graphics at this stage, when compared to other recent titles? I mean, I do NOT want to compare rF2 with other titles because I think rF2 is a genre on its own. But I do think graphics need to improve. I'm no programmer so I don't know anything about shaders but I've always been critical about how things look and I love realism and therefor I find it amazing how for example Project C.A.R.S. looks. For me, graphics like C.A.R.S. isn't nessecery (?) at all but the basics of the graphics (shaders) of rF2 need to be correct, which is not the case right now. I do not like blur, motion blur much at all, because the main reason for much games to use it is covering up imperfection but I do like a correct and realistic image. And I'm a but worried that no matter how much work is being done to this (I think) last version of the GMotor Engine the looks will not be of this time anymore.

What do you guys think? What would be interesting is to get some thoughts of someone who is specialized in shaders. Sorry for not remembering this a hundred percent but I think it's someone of SimRacingPL who made an amazing set of shaders for rF1 changing the whole atmosphere and got me firing up rF1 again, at the time. What would be the possibillities of rF2?

Also a little thing: I think this will be fixed in the future but I can't find anyone mentioning this before. It distracts me quite a lot. The look of the horizon when its getting dawn. Especially with fog the horizon is looking really sharp and doesn't blend very well. Also, the fog in the rain only influences the ground surface, and again, this doesn't blend with the sky. And finally, when in overcast conditions, the clouds move in quite nicely but further in the distance the sky is clear and blue, as if the clouds appear at the edge of the 'box' of the track. I think the clouds need to be drawn infinite into the distance, untill it hits the horizon.

Sorry for this long post and my English but I hope you understand all of this and happy to give your thoughts about this all.

Edit/ I thought I selected the main Beta forum but I was in the Problem Report forum instead. When possible mods may move it to the main rF2 Beta Forum

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I don't like to compare one title to another either but I will say I like the graphics of rF2. The dynamic shadows, trackside objects, THE TREES!, graphical tire flex are all very nice imo.

I am like you as I can see rF2 for it's POTENTIAL. The sim will be improving for years to come.

The one thing that has really impressed me lately is the directional sound with headphones. Awesome, awesome job. I can really pick up which tire is scrubbing with headphones.

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

I tend to agree CDNRacer...

The sounds OMG..amazing. Especially in the Meganes around Mills, coming past the Fence at pit exit, I was looking around going...what the hell is that...and I have cheap dodgy headphones.

Graphically...I LOVE rF2...already. I head people comparing to other games...so I went and tried them...yeh well...graphics are opinion based on what my eyes see is different to yours etc.....but I reckon they are BRILLIANT...far better than anything CURRENTLY on the market :) and rF2 is in BETA>..which means it will improve.

EDIT: Let me elaborate a touch. I take Graphics as an overal effect CAUSED by the graphics. So atmosphere, style and "clarity". Combining all together GOLD....

Where do I see it being?? Dunno....but I want to be there for that ride :)