Replay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Is there or would it be possible to get a random camera function, that would change the camera angle and a car it shoots when viewing a replay in random giving it impression of having a director?
    Maybe it could go to action scenes like over taking, battles, crashes etc... if there is any happening at the given moment.
    I believe this function was in one of the Grand Prix games, dont remember now which one did it first but anywhoo... it was great fun to just watch races. I enjoy watching races in rFactor2 and this would drive it to another level altogether.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's already there, somewhat. We have track camera groups. You can cycle the groups, or you can select a group which randomly selects from the groups for each shot as the cars drive around. Focus on battles, etc, isn't there yet.

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Thanks for the reply.

You said "yet", I hope you mean it :p *x fingers*

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it was Grand Prix 2, fantastic bit of code that was called "Directors Cam" or something like that, it would automatically pick up on battles and switch to a car spinning or a crash then go back to the battle or another. I used to watch that whilst having my dinner!

5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

would be very useful if the server's replay displays the number of the lap that is being viewed and not only the number of total laps of race (and race's total laps number is wrong).

would be very useful also a counter race time.

bye!

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

OMG I was going to say, Grand Prix 2 lol ;)

I think the director mode automatically changed cameras depending on where the close battles where, and it would cycle between all the different cams, all the different onboards, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong though, didnt it always use the same set/group/folder of trackside cams (in tv view) for each corner? I believe it only had one set or group of tv style cams, I could be wrong though.

That was awesome, the automatic cam changes, and the automatic car changes depending on whos battling, and stuff like that.

I loved grand prix 2, I used to play it with a keyboard and I used to play live in the tv cam hhahah, it really felt like I was watching an F1 race. Where as RFactor has more of a "actually being in the grandstands/trackside" look to its replays, Grand prix had more of a "watching on tv" look, I dont mean the graphics and overlays, I mean just the way it looked. Probably a combination of camera distance, zoom and FOV settings, but im not sure.

I gotta stop blabbering on and changing the subject in my posts, sorry, again lol

P.S. .....

I forgot to say, having tons of different tv style cameras would be AWESOME. You could have 3, 5, or 10 or however many different cams for lets say, the group/folder of cams for corner 1 or cam 1, then another group of cams for corner 2, and so on and so on. Just like it does now in replay mode, but it will randomly (or in order) choose 1 of the cams in that corner's or section's group/folder of cams. As we have now there would be a button to change cam (while staying in tv view), but there will also be another button added, a button that cycles through all the different cams in the current cam's folder.

That would be soooooooooooo awesome to watch, now combine that with hopefully further physics fidelity being applied to the cars visual graphics, and being kept there in replay mode (is it just me, or does the replay have even less physics being graphically representated than in live mode), and then the replay viewing experience would be awesome!!!! OMG now imagine on top of all that they improve the core sound engine.

Man, im dreaming.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012