Replay functions - more tv like

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by mfaarup, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mfaarup

mfaarup Registered

Apologise in advance, I know there are other Replay wish list posts...

I am one of those geeks, that love to showcase a great race by producing a nice replay after the event.
    The replay system in rFactor1 is fantastic for this, but I feel it can easily be improved in rFactor2.

Here is my wish (which may not be an original idea!):

1. Can ISI combine information from the race log with the loaded replay in interactive mode?
    By this I mean: In the race log, tons of information is available about how the race went down (lap times, incidents, overtakes?, final standings, pit stops etc.).
    Having an interactive/selectable list of "events", to allow you to jump to the correct time with all cameras pointed, would be priceless.

Now the biggest win
    2. Develop a tv style replay function which automatically combines these events with track and camera position.
    Allow for simple checkboxes like "Include all incidents", "Include overtakes", "Include top 3-5 crossing the finish line", "Display 2 seconds before and after each incident from cameras xyz", "Exclude AI cars", "Engine sound volume", "Enable special effects", the list goes on.
    After selecting your preferred settings, the replay should then kick off and play as usual fully interactive. You could then control the whole thing (reverse, slow, change camera if you made a mistake or wanted a double take on something) and grab and export using your favourite tools. In my view, it is best if the exporting and the "video" editing parts are left to other expert tools (Adobe, Sony, fraps etc.).
    The replay control however must come from rFactor 2.

3. Alternatively, develop an API for the replay and log file (this one is text/xml and easy to parse already), so that someone else can "plugin" the above functionality?

After a great F1 or V8 race in the real world, you get a good replay with all the action (depending on tv channel of course). I am sure the same is true for the serious sim-racing leagues.

Anyways, thanks for a great product so far, I am enjoying my lifetime license!

2. hammad800

hammad800 Registered

Good to know that I am not the only one who likes to watch the replays after every race and tries to make a video to upload on youtube :p
    And I would love to see these suggestions being implemented.

3. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I with the option to center the camera on a vehicle with the free movement enabled me satisfied.

Now it is impossible to get decent and fluid shots.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

If you use a different profile for making video you could set your wheel to left/right panning, that works quite well.

5. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Good solution for lateral planes, but what happens when the planes are vertical or diagonal? Or when it's a long shot and the camera are moving in all directions and zooming? Also while recording or editing livestream usually not be behind the wheel, is a keyboard and mouse work.

Do not know if it would be very difficult to include this option, but it sure would be helpful.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Rfactor 1 inbuilt editing & replay function is excellent

For rf2 they should enable higher resolutions for exporting ( & get rid of the export bugs sound problems etc )

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Well i fully agree on getting some default rf2 functions for us to play with. would certainly help us get where we want.

As for vertical/diagonal and camera's having a mind of their own, you can release any camera so that it does not go through its own routine of following a certain car etc.
    From the top of my head this is done with the PageDown key, press it multiple times to release it.
    Then use U to go manual.
    With this you can correct any unwanted movements as well.

What i do is use it all at once, released camera's, using pedals for zoom, wheel for panning + mouse + anything else i can think of and i go in and make the shots i need. takes me a few times to get what i want but with (allot) of practise it becomes natural.

check out this video, expecialy the first few scene's and some later on. there's some jaggyness going on but sometimes it actualy helps the scene with these old cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1361aYTjis&feature=plcp

But this would never work with livestreaming i think, way too shady to get it right in one go.

8. Mulero

Mulero Registered

It will change the camera and activate the free movement by pressing U. :p I meant only to movement of the camera when we are in free motion.

I recorded a video so you can see better what I mean.

Would not it be easier and look better if it had an option to set the car in the center of the screen and the camera automatically follow that car?

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

It's good idea. Also it would be nice to have some smoothing option for free movement camera.

10. mfaarup

mfaarup Registered

I just think it would be a huge advantage if rFactor2 hooked up the race logs to the replay. The time stamp for anything that happens is in the log, so all it takes is a "GoTo" function for the replay control.

All the camera views, car trackers etc. I hope will improve as well. There are choppers flying around on some tracks, so someone should really give them a camera... (why else would they be up there?)

11. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It would be nice to have a feature like iRacings follow leader and best battle on track. Leader one follows the leader all the time, and best battle will focus on the closest racing on track automatically. Not sure if it's possible in the game though.