Replay fidelity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bruno Carneiro, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Bruno Carneiro

Bruno Carneiro Registered

Hi!

I'm new to Rfactor 2, and I've been playing long endurance races (Enduracers mod) with the AI, using the resume from replay feature to resume where I had to stop. In the settings, you can set "Replay Fidelity" from "minimum" to "full". However, there is no indication of what that actually means! It seems like, when in Full, the replay files are larger and it takes somewhat longer to record the replay when leaving the session. But, otherwise, it seems nothing is lot when resuming a replay from "Minimum". So, what does it actually do?

Also, for someone with experience with resuming from replays: Whenever I resume from replay, my tyres are cold (as if right after leaving the garage), my delta best is gone (I guess, technically, because I didn't set the best time in *this* session) and, also, all damage is reset. As in, any damage I had is gone from the vehicle status hud, but it still shows visualy. Is that normal? Is it the same for the AI (damage reset)? Then, if I use instant replay, damage is back again!

Another problem: it seems that, if I resume the race within a few laps of the AI being about to pit (low fuel), it seems they can 'forget' to pit and run out of fuel on track. It seems it takes a lap of two for the AI to realize they are low on fuel, after a resume from replay. Is that kind of problem normal with resuming from replay?

Thanks a lot!

2. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

I've been doing the same thing with resume from replay. I've noticed a couple of things. My mirrors always get set back to the default. Hitting CTRL mirror-adjust-key will snap them all back to where I normally set them. I had an entire race where the Pit Limiter was on when resuming. I lose all damage just as you do. The settings in my pit menu also reset to defaults and aren't what they were when I paused and left the game. Before I actually un-pause, I go through a routine of resetting the mirrors, resetting the pit options and getting my finger ready to hit the pit limiter button just in case it is on.

3. Bruno Carneiro

Thanks for the reply! I've also had the pit limiter issue. Seems to vary from track to track, it seems. At first I thought my pedals had broken and the accelerator wasn't working!

Any luck on the Replay Fidelity setting?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Bruno Carneiro I think fidelity is more about the rate that events and car movements are recorded at. So a low fidelity replay might make car movement (and especially steering wheel movement) more jerky, less smooth. You can set player fidelity higher for that reason, so you can watch the replay in the cockpit view and the wheel movement will look very close to correct, instead of 'clicking' between positions roughly. Things like engine sound, turbo whine, tyre squeal, will all be captured more accurately because each of the items that generate those (RPM, turbo RPM, car speed / tyre rotation speed / grip loss) are more accurate. So it's a lot like 'fidelity' in sound - the same stuff is captured, but with better quality.

As far as resuming, I wouldn't expect anything extra to be saved in a high fidelity replay vs a low one. The track state (how wet the track is, how much rubber there is, all around the track) should be consistent either way. I'm assuming it still works like it used to, so you should play a minute or two of the replay so the track state is fully updated, before you resume (or you end up with patches on the track as it slowly updates over time). Your car condition and tyre condition should be captured and restored just the same - which may not be perfectly, but either way it's the same.

5. Bruno Carneiro

Thanks a lot, @Lazza. I usually resume just where I stopped, so I've never tried playing the replay for a minute of so before resuming. I'll try that and see it if works.

Do you have experience with that and can confirm it works like that on your end?