Render distance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JParra, Dec 17, 2023.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

Render distance.
    I have observed that, even on official circuits and with all graphic settings on ultra, there are certain moments, such as shadows from the bars of a fence, that render in high quality very close to the point of view, something that completely ruins the immersion.

Are there any parameters in the files that are not in the GUI options that could help me improve this?

Thank you.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Shadows are something that S397 has been attempting to improve for 3 or 4 years. So...no...nothing now that will change how shadows are drawn. It IS a known item and IS being looked at....so maybe someday.

JParra likes this.
  3. JParra

JParra Registered

Thanks for the explanation

4. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Rendering shadows is a big framerate killer so all games have this issue. Shadows are rendered in a few cascades and while you can make the transitions between those a bit smoother, one you've seen them they are hard to unsee. Same for the furthest cascade ending. This is not something that can be solved unless you accept a huge hit on your framerate.

JParra and Highlandwalker like this.
  5. JParra

JParra Registered

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

I understand the impact of shadows on performance, in fact, after years fighting with and against rFactor2, I know very well that this setting, the reflections in the other cars and the number of cars visible on the track, are where I should attack if I have performance problems.

My question was aimed at, just as for the rendering distance of the rearview mirrors we have a parameter ("Rearview_Back_Clip" if I'm not mistaken) in the player.json with which we can do tests, maybe there was a parameter for, under our responsibility and FPS drop, we can increase the high resolution rendering distance of shadows.

Now I know that it does not exist and that the issue is much more complex.

6. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

There are obviously different settings already for shadows but since they are rendered in a way that is much more complicated than a "back clip" it's not really possible to provide this to end users in an easy way beyond the settings that are already there.

If you are interested in learning more about how shadows works, this article is a good starting point:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ommon-techniques-to-improve-shadow-depth-maps

And a follow up article:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dxtecharts/cascaded-shadow-maps

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Always good to hear from Marcel, Happy Holidays!

Marcel Offermans likes this.