[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Crashes, or looks like its frozen? Cause if it looks frozen, just give it time... it can take a while to load on first loading.

I haven't heard of any crashes as of yet. It is possible the track is now too heavy for the settings you currently have. Try to lower texture detail a notch or two, and try it again.

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Different bump map. :D I have tried to create a map with the standard tools, but they are all wrong. I will paint a bump map in PS.

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I know, thats what I was telling you in my last pms yesterday :)

This is what I have done btw, I have made the normal map myself using gradients on shape layers.

But maybe you can further improve them, I dunno, it was my first time doing that kind of stuff with a normal map. I figured after I sent you the screenshot of shadermap... I thought, hey, I can do this with photoshop too, so I took the normal sphere and did it. The thing with shadermap, it doesnt constrains movement as of now. Most likely a feature that will be added, I've seen it suggested in the forums.

EDIT 2: Check your PMs!

4. whiplash

whiplash Registered

It crashes (rf2.exe stopped working...) after 75%, even on the lowest settings. Normally i use maxed out texture and circuit detail... 760GTX 2GB here..

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The thing I'm thinking you will do, I made the gradient defining the kink a bit too round, and not enough defined, could it be so?

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

try deleting your player.plr file (saving it before elsewhere) and start rf2 again... it could be a setting that is resulting in the crash, cause you are the first to report such thing with a computer that should be able to run at max... I got a gtx580 1.5gb and I run everything turned max/full and 16x AA. can run 14 ai or so this way..

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The problem with the bump map tools is that they can only guess the shape by looking at the shaded and bright areas. A guardrail has no edges on the road side, so the color transitions should be smooooooooth. :D

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Ok, so I made them too defined then? :)

9. whiplash

whiplash Registered

Thx for the tip, but that didn't help either... :( is there any log-file for ctd's?

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Not sure, never had to look for it, but I checked quickly in my installation, and found a log dir inside userdata... you might wanna check up there?

Another thing you could try, install another rF2 somewhere else, and see if this clean install works with nord installed?

I wish I knew a clear answer...

11. whiplash

whiplash Registered

You gave me the right hint at least, i deleted the ring-cbash files and now it works! Gonna give it a try now :D THX anyway Pierre!

12. hoover

hoover Registered

I think there's a problem with AIW fuel calculations... just did a 1h qualifying with 8 ai at 3x fuel usage, and none of the AI cars managed to finish a lap (neither 3790z nor Nissan GT-R), they all coasted to a halt on the right side of the long straight after "Antoniusbuche".

Cheers, Uwe

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@Pledair and Tosch... Thank you.
    You guys have done great work rebuilding and lighting this track.
    It was good before...it is now great.
    I just drove my first laps on the 0.97J-1 release and it is spectacular.
    It's difficult to describe the feeling as you start the downhill section and look over to see the valley floor off to the left.
    The sense of elevation change is amazing.
    Everything about this... from the new trees, to the buildings off to the left along the main straight are superbly done.
    Excellent work.

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Thanks Uwe,

I believe it's about time to create a new AIW file and update the fuel calculation. The old one has lots of errors. I will have a look at this.

Edit: New normal map is ready to test.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Much better now, thanks Tosch!

[​IMG]

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thank you for the kind words :) Much appreciated!

The downhill section you speak about is one of my favorite part of the track as well. Nice scenery, awesome downhill slalom, reaching top speed in a blink! I also much like the triple apex corner a lot!

Actually all the track is awesome, there is zero weak part for me. Love it all! Can't say that much for most other circuits. Actually, since I driven nord like I do now, I can't stand other circuits no more. Racing should be about speed. Most modern circuits are so slow, with a 30 km corner every 30 sec. Seems they are made in a way so the track can be seen by large number of spectators. And give them the best view of the circuits.

Circuits back then were made for the race driver. That's my view at least.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

For hotlapping yes. but try this track with a full grid and actual close competition, whole different ballgame all together.
    I found in the league races i've done on The Mother that avoiding close racing would at least enable me to avoid crashing 'because Nordschleife' :p

So much focus go's into just staying on-track and on-pace, with 4 in front and 6 in the gearbox its fuel for disaster (or at least unhealthy stress levels)

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

You may be right :) I haven't really "raced" it, but done tons of practice sessions. I often run with 8-14 AIs to have a bit of additional fun, but I find the AI a bit too weak to actually race it. At the moment, the AI isnt bad, but it slows down too much in some corners, that its hard sometimes to predict which one and remember them to brake earlier and avoid them. Otherwise, they brake in your face, and you haven't planned braking just yet, and boom!

I just had a look at the new AIW guide. I had noticed it but haven't yet had a look at it. I tried to record a new AI main path, went the fulll way around at painkilling low speed, took like 20 minutes around the track, and when I was done and saved, I repackaged, and the track crashed on loading.

I know by following the guide, I should have back up my AIW and start from fresh. But I didnt wanted to build a temp path just right now. Was more curious to see how it goes, and if it would still work overwriting old one.

Turns out you probably need to start from fresh :p

However, I can't believe we have to build a temporary road from 0,0,0 to the track. It seems a bit archaic to me. A setting in a config file for fallback location should be used instead. So you enter the x,y,z values you want this to happen, and there you go...

19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

This is really getting awesome, pleclair! The new work with the trees shadowing and reflections in J were one thing, but it is really marvelous how smoothing the guard rails made the perfect cherry on top. It is really a tribute to your diligence and tenacity. I thank you very much (and a lot of others do too!)

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

It's been a while I wanted to start working on the wet reflections. It's one of the last feature of rf2 that isnt into Nord, not counting animations, there isnt much to animate, except a balloon, atm. I'd like to figure a way to animate the gate, as the red light, so it would be down when its red, and up when green. I think it would be awesome, but have to figure this whole thing.

So, since I did the alpha mask on the road texture, and found out my materials needed to be named with a _WET suffix, and renamed them, I knew I was ready for the reflections to work. Only needed the planes.

However, I'm a bit puzzled, and would like some pointers.

I'm reading in the guide that I need to setup a global reflection plane for the object without a local plane defined. Everything is fine. It is also mentioned that sort of plane is great for flat track. You know how flat nord is, right? So how can I set up a global plane in there? There is no way it can be close to all the track at once.

So I thought I'd forget about that, and do a bunch of local planes, for every segments of the road of the same angle. So I can tilt them and have them fit with the road.

My question is, do I put these plane right above the road, directly on the road, under the road, and if above or under, does it matter the distance. Also, is it mandatory for it to be perfectly aligned to the road? Cause it wont be piece of cake if so. I'll need to learn about aligning tools... maybe I can find something to help in this regard.

So, right now, I create a plane, large enough to include the paddock area, and the road in front of it. And here how it looks in dev mode, with wet turned on the tarmac.

[​IMG]

So, if I create all these local plane, covering all road surface, do I really need a global plane?

Many thanks in advance.