[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks pleclair! But please find some other place to host your downloads, PLEASE!

2. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Amazing track, thank you! This looks absolutely fantastic. Tech question: I get a solid frame rate, but I find things lock up temporarily at certain points on the track. Anyone know how to solve this?

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I was just about to say the same thing. Really annoying micro stutter or whatever it is called. For me it's all over the track. Doesn't matter if I drive official ISI cars or mods.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

Great work! Still getting very good FPS. I do think the track surface should be a bit darker, but it looks fantastic as is :)

5. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Yeah and I tried different graphics settings to no avail. Is it a RAM issue?

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is a great step forward in many ways, but sadly there are some serious lighting and shadow issues and the tarmac colour issue that many have mentioned.

The tarmac colour is pretty easy--just match the colour on the track splash screen! Seriously, there are so many pics and other examples to look at, but the one you chose doesn't seem to seem to come from anywhere related to the real track?

Anyway, you know I am big supporter and have faith in you! So keep up the good work.

7. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Well, I don't know. I've got 16GB system RAM and 2GB of GRAM. Not sure about the GRAM though. Could be less. I honestly can't remember.

8. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

Thank you very much for this!

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Very annoying!

Please fix this :)

Or maybe it's up to ISI? Because I've seen that Camaro is always placed much further back in the garage than other cars, so with some tracks it penetrates the garage wall behind it too...

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Well, for some reason, not sure why at all but I`m getting seriously bad fps with this version of the track (v0.97a)

Like 12 - 14 - 20 tops... big stuttering slide show, unfortunately it`s not possible to drive it like that.

What changes were made to this version pleclair that may be causing this?

11. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I guess it's texture res changes causing it, see:

I too sometimes and suddenly get very low FPS <15 with lots of different cars and driving directly behind a EnduranceRacingX car. Guess my 2GB GPU memory gets on its limits too.

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh right, thanks vittorio, I must have missed that information.

I guess that explains it.

Time for that upgrade I think...

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I feel 2gb should be sufficient atm as other current games stay way within this scope AFAIK. But even when this issue is related to the texture size, its good to have these big sizes for people who do have the PC power:)

14. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Can you monitor CPU usage while driving? I had my corsair cooler monitor running and CPU usage at points around this track hits almost 100% on 4, yes 4, cores!

I don't really see this reproduced with the CTRL-C option in game.

I run TrackIR and use Nvidia GFX card which will explain some of the extra core usage but still seems a bit odd.

This was with an earlier version of the track.

View attachment 10404

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Not really monitored this stuff whilst driving before kaptain, maybe I should have been though.

I`ll check it out and see...

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Ok! I'm a lumberjack now!

Hehe!

Apprentice, that is, but we gotta start somewhere!

I thought the grass was hard to make properly, and it was, but the trees are even worse.

I spent the whole day yesterday (my gf and son were at her mother's) on them, and it was either too dark, or they would glow in the dark.

At some point, I had my test tree looking good under no direct sunlight, wasn't too black, but under sunlight it was out of proportion.

Getting the texture and specular maps to work just right takes a whole lot of practice, but I'm getting it now, I think.

I've studied the trees from Mores, and I remembered a feature in photoshop I rarely needed, the histogram. I used it on the luminosity channel, and I understood why my trees were problematic.

I remade them (yet one more time :p), and now they are starting to look pretty good, I think.

The thing is, my 24in samsung died a couple of months ago, and I'm re-using my 10+ years old 19in.. its like a 2nd generation lcd but it is still working. I've lost or broken the stand over the course of time, so its sitting flat on the desk, held by my old 24in in the back. A ghetto setup!

I calibrated my monitor (or I think I did, im no pro in this domain) and it resulted in a loss of brightness and contrast mostly.

I'm currently uploading a new version to Mega, it should be ready in about 3 hours or so. I'll post the updated version with new trees (changed a few too) when online.

I'm not sure I'm 100% spot on, but I'm a whole lot closer now, I wish I released this version instead of the last one first :p

I also want to thank you all to be patient with me, and not turn the thread into some sort of whatever when I make mistakes like the trees and stuff. I never did any of this before, so I got to learn a whole darn lot to make something decent out of it!

I'm sure you'll have a more pleasant drive with this new version I'm uploading, I just did a 2 laps run in the 1960s F1, almost, got caught by darkness, 4am to dark, 60x time acceleration, was about 4-5 corners from the main stretch. Even tho I had little time to really stare at the trees while driving this, they appeared much better with everything else... a whole new scenery :)

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Regarding performance, the track is highly un-optimized at the moment... when I fixed uv channel 2-3 of the road mesh to make the grain smaller, I had to merge the track into one object, since it seemed an edit poly modifier resulted in hanging... as it might have been too much to handle.

So when I split the track back into section, I didnt wanted to do 120+ sections like before, only to find out my edit didnt worked... so I split into 32 or so parts. I'll merge them back later, and split into more parts again, and other stuff.

But right now, optimizing is not a priority. But I'll get there, no worries.

As for myself, performance are still very good at max settings with 16x AA. Had to go from 32 to 16, but other than that, everything is maxxed out.

FPS is between 50-60ish on the lowest sections, and in the 100-120s at most or so. Averaging I would say around 70-80.

But since I'm using my 19in, I'm also playing at 1440x900, instead of 1920x1200, so thats surely helps :)

EDIT: 17% done, 1h52 remaining to the upload, going faster than expected :) If you are eager to try it out, dont plan anything in about 2hrs or so :p

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Hi pleclair,

I did a lot of testing with the new version. I replaced some tree textures (TREE_LARGE_02.dds for example) with brighter textures from other tracks and tried some stuff with normal maps. All I can say is that normal maps don't work on your billboards. The other problem with the billboard trees is that they have more than one rotation axis. Can you post a screenshot of you 3dsmax settings for the trees?

Here are some screens from Essington at different times of the day. We used modified Mills trees and modified normal maps for this. Maybe these trees are to bright for the Nordschleife but look how they react on the direction of the light source.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

1h52

That is just enough time to watch... The Patriot Games!

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I'll get to it soon, but, the track splash screen was way too dark, many said it was inky black at the time :) (proves again that you cannot please everyone :p)

I'll darken it a bit, but asphalt becomes very light under direct sun light, and very dark when not lit. You only see that kind of black tarmac as in the loading screen when the asphalt is brand new, and again, not all asphalt are this black. But I've seen some that looked like this when brand new.

If you look at videos on youtube, you will find the track is quite light actually...

It is obviously darker, but much closer to what we have now, than it is on the loading screen.

The tatoos are bleached, when I edited them to remove contrast I went a bit too far on the desaturate side :p I'll bring some saturation back soon.