Reduced Top Speed after Damage and Pitting

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Sachmo-Aus, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Sachmo-Aus

Sachmo-Aus Registered

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem with rFactor 2 whereby after I repair my vehicle (panel/aero damage) in the pits my maximum speed is reduced by a few kmph (eg. instead of 292kmph my top speed is 281kmph). Is this a known bug and is there a fix? Or am I understanding this feature incorrectly? I have tested this repeatedly and get the same result each time.

Steps to replicate (Bathurst track, FVR V8 Supercars):
    (1) Have Invulnerability set to OFF, and Damage Multiplier greater than 0%
    (2) Do a lap of the circuit, noting the top speed (undamaged car)
    (3) Do a second lap, causing moderate damage to the front of the car (eg. wing, front and corner panels). Note the top speed, which is often still the maximum.
    (4) Pit, repairing all damage
    (5) Do a third lap of the circuit, and observe that the top speed of the repaired car is reduced.

I have also tested pitting when there is no damage to the vehicle (tyre changes only) - the problem does not occur in this scenario.

I have also tested with an invulnerable car (Invulnerability ON, as well as Invulnerability OFF with Damage Multiplier 0%). In this scenario there is never any damage to the car, and therefore only tyre changes in the pits - the problem does not occur in this scenario.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Sachmo

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I have noticed this before and believed it accurately represents the impact of body/aero damage that is hastily repaired in the pits. Bit of quick bashing with a hammer, some race tape etc won't make it perfect.
    So the guys that avoid damage will have a higher top speed.
    In my view it's more of a feature than a bug.

Sachmo and Guimengo like this.
  3. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Thanks for the speedy response David. I like the way you illustrate it! And I agree that it would be a good feature - but the way this currently occurs leads me to think its a bug (rather than a less-than-ideally executed feature). For starters, after getting damage the top speed isn't necessarily immediately reduced (unless you do substantial damage that the tyres aren't straight, or a tyre blows, etc) - top speed only reduces after going into the pits. Also, it tends to only show itself in the high end speed that is capped... acceleration before then is fine, and so is the aerodynamics and feel of the car (these feel tip-top 100% after being in the pits). If there was to be some residual, unrepairable damage, I think as a feature it would include reduction in these characteristics. Hence I suspect it is a bug. But again, I totally agree with the concept of, in certain situations, damage that is beyond the state of repair.