Reduce Tire Wear in Physics

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Felipe Augusto, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Felipe Augusto

Felipe Augusto Registered

Hi guys,

I was looking here on the forum and didn't find anything talking about reducing tire wear in the physics files. Is there any specific parameter to make this reduction? Because in the game settings the lowest type of wear is "Normal - 1X" and I was wanting lower values such as 0.5x, 0.3x etc.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you can get to all the files to repackage, yes. (DLC, no)

In the TGM, Abrasion will do physical wear so is probably the main one. Degradation is thermal ageing/hardening. If you multiply all the values in those curves by some value you will get a scaling of wear without affecting anything else.

Felipe Augusto and mantasisg like this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There is also WLF stuff in .tgm file realtime section, but who understands that !?

Surely tuning abrasive wear steps should be all you need. If I recall correctly the step values goes from hottest to coldest temps. So you can change only hot, or very hot tire wear for example.

Also. That is just my observation, not backed up by any reasonable method to prove. When you change abrasive wear, you also change how tires grip, or lets rather say how rubber of tire grip to the tire. And it probably will change dynamics of a car.

Felipe Augusto likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've forgotten the parameter names and don't have the files in front of me - I was thinking the grip effect of abrasion and degradation, rather than the volume of each of those. To hopefully reduce side effects.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't remember exact names of parameters too, and have to look at files. There are lines for overall tire performance loss for abrasive degradation and thermal degradation. But also the abrasive volume itself instantaneously affects the way tires grip during sliding, sliding is always part of overall grip anyway. So there are three main grip components to tire really - static friction, sliding friction and rubber shearing friction.

But I have not made any proper methodical testing to back this all up properly. I only remember some wild parameters testing few years ago, and remembering that wildly different abrasive volume parameters also resulted in very different car handling and feel fresh out of garage.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Felipe Augusto so just to clear it up, I was thinking of
    DegradationPerWearFraction
    DegradationPerUnitHistory

which determine how much grip you lose from physical wear and overheating. These are 1-based though, so you'd need to multiply each value's difference from 1 by some factor of your choosing. And now I think about it, I think the multiplied wear (in game) actually increases the wear (abrasion) volume anyway, and putting that between 1 and 0 probably won't affect handling much if at all.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Easy to test in devmode.

8. Felipe Augusto

Thanks guys

I'll do some tests on these parameters and return the results later.

mantasisg likes this.
  9. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Best way to do it is modifying 'AbrasionVolumePerUnitEnergy' numbers at [Realtime] section of TGM file. Decrease numbers and you will have lower wear. If you multiply the figures by 0.5 you will obtain 50% instant wear. However, the tire may last more than double laps because the effect feedbacks on itself.

There have been some threads about this... :
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....to-reduce-tire-degradation.46639/#post-776333

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    Felipe Augusto likes this.
  10. Felipe Augusto

I did exactly what you said. I multiplied these values by a wear factor that I wanted and it solved my problem!

These functions could be in the game menu, instead of just adding consumption...

Anyway, thank you everyone!