Recurring fees and online features offered by ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cracheur, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

The end-user-price model of rF2 consists of 2 elements: purchase of game + recurring yearly fee.
    "STANDARD:
    Online services (including multiplayer and automatic updating) require the yearly payment to be made.

LIFETIME:
    Online services are free for the lifetime of the product."

While it's clear why you have to purchase the game, I was wondering what services ISI was planning to offer for the recurring fees? Automatic updates? Will you anyway get maunal updates on the standard version. Are we speaking about the core or new cars, tracks? Does this mean that we will get access to all future content officially released by ISI?

If you buy the lifetime version you get(or pay the yearly recurring) : "Online services are free"
    What services is ISI referring to? The ability to play online on private servers?

Anything else? If not, they shall simply call it singelplayer or multiplayer licence. For now I don't see anything that would justify the additionel fee.

2. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

ok... that's basically what I've wrote. The question was hwoever what features are we/you speaking about? ("all online features that will be implemented").
    For now I can only see:

- ability to play online multiplayer (on your own server > basically the right to go online)
    - automatic updates vs manual updates

So again: are there any basic features announced ? ie ranking system, hosting of races, hosting of mods, centralized voice-chat...

Thx

3. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Nothing announced. Buy lifetime version because even 2 years of standard version is more than lifetime version. And judging from rf1 and development rate...it will take many years before updates stop coming.

4. MJP

MJP Registered

I don't know whether you played rF1 but there was this thing called RaceCast, not really sure what happened to it, it just seemed to slowly die off. TBH I'm expecting something along those lines (RaceCast2?) to appear otherwise as you say what exactly are we going to get for the annual subscription!

5. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

that's the one I have but standard version users will still get the updates as well...just manual. So we're back on mutiplayer or not...

6. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I'm pretty sure that Tim has been talking about having some extras in the online area, but as far as I know it wasn't mentioned what it was going to be (maybe some sort of ranking, or hotlap or who knows what).

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There are planned to be quite a few things tied to it, but they are lower priority to develop at this time. And none of what you have now will be included except multiplayer and automatic updates. You'll be able to manually do everything, except the things impossible, such as multiplayer.

The fee itself is justified by us charging the fee and using it within the company to move ourselves forward, regardless of what is tied to it. If you want rFactor2, it has this pricing model.

8. TBolt

TBolt Registered

Greetings, all. I'm an rF1 customer, as well.

I want to support the developers; so, I am considering the full-priced one time payment. However, the economy/job market does suck here in the U.S.

My only concern is this ... if rF2 is replaced with rF3 within 4 years, it actually makes more sense, as a consumer, to purchase the smaller up-front price for the beta, and pay $12 per year afterwards. ($43.99 + 1 free year + $12/yr2 + $12/yr3 + $12/yr4 = $79.99 total vs. $84.99 one-time payment)

Is there any chance the $12 annual fee will increase?

Will rF2 evolve into rF3 with updates? Or, will we be purchasing rF3 in the future?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I had the lifetime package

I'm not really sure if that means much more than automatic updating etc
    But happy to pay it as I hope rf2 is a massive success

I've been wondering lately if here's going to be a centralised online structure for online racing
    I.e a race every say 2hrs with maybe a compulsory qualify session before & accident points system which awards the safer drivers access to the better driver servers etc

Would be good

There seems to be only one sim offering that at the moment

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I'm a staunch advocate of this new ISI pricing system. I absolutely love it.
    Whatever we get, even if it's just a few improvements/optimizations per year, will still be better than going out and purchasing a new copy. It's 'friendly' for everybody even simracing youngsters, who may not be able to come up with full price every year.
    I've always hated the Codemasters and EA Sports formula for game sales. Crammonds, when he was in the game, was a bit better.
    Nothing irritates me more than purchasing a 'new' game, (which in many cases is just the patched version of what is currently being played) only to throw that copy into the dumpster.

11. TBolt

TBolt Registered

Your post gives me the impression that you feel or know that we won't ever be purchasing an rF3. Have you heard something along those lines from the dev?

Thank you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Surely it would not be replaced in 4 years. Wiki tells me rfactor 1 was released in 2005 (7/8 odd years), and it looks to be going strong still.
    I bought the 1 year version, but now I wish I'd gone for the lifetime one, hopefully it won't end up in me paying a heap more.

Simbin I think ran the ISImotor engine for what seems like all of their games starting with GT Legends, or maybe even GTR.
    You can see the same with IL2 Sturmovik, that lasted for years and years, with gradual updates to the engine. I'm sure a company doesn't sink this much time into a project, to have something redundant after a couple of years...

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I don't think that at all. My belief is that RF3 will come at the appropriate time down the road.
    The boys at ISI seem to be 'pulling out all the stops' on RF2 and going for something completely innovative.
    If you look at the sheer number of features implemented, a clear pattern is emerging. I get the impression that they want to build the absolute best sim they can with this one...and one year of development just won't cut it.
    In a way that's good for everybody involved. They won't have to re-invent the wheel each and every year and we will get as close to perfection in a sim as possible, simply because they can go back and continuously fix and optimize things.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  14. TBolt

TBolt Registered

Alright, you guys bring up good points about the potential longevity & quality of the platform. Having owned rF1, I tend to be optimistic, as well.

Thanks, guys.

15. liebestod

liebestod Registered

Give me everything for free or I will get mad and the police will put you in jail.

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Im willing to pay up to 12.99 a month for a game that keeps me interested and rF2 is doing that at this stage.
    Timmy, send me a bill.

17. TBolt

TBolt Registered

I am NOT. If rF goes to a monthly payment plan, I'll be disappointed & gone. I'll just reinstall rF1 & competing products.

18. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I don't do subscription games either.
    $84.99 for a lifetime license seems like a great bargin to me.

19. TBolt

TBolt Registered

ISI can always install a Donate button somewhere - good for those who can donate monthly & good for ISI. Just isn't for me, anymore. Those days are long gone.

20. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

$12.99/year there.