Reccomended car setup parameters

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Chosa, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Chosa

Chosa Registered

Hello everybody,

I drive historic car in many diving simulation, and usually I'm able to set up the car to my driving style changing every single parameter in order to obtain a specific effect...and also with the historic RF2 I have no problems doing it...

However, trying modern car, like F1 or megane for example, I notice that there are many parameters on which to intervene with a choice of very wide range...

But I ask you should a real contemporary driver be a mechanical engineer?

It would be nice if there was some sort of recommended range of parameters for each car in the game, and the recommended ratio of them (such as between the stiffness of the suspension between front and rear).
    In this way we can play instantly with a more realistic car setup and instead of adapting the driving style to a not-realistic car setup to go fast...

Thank You

2. Chosa

Chosa Registered

UP!
    Nobody cares?
    In Assetto Corsa when you point a parameter (e.g. "Rebound" for the left rear ammo) there is a description of what are the effect generated by changing a paremeter...it's not really what I was asking but it helps...

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think it would be interesting to explain which are typically the effects of moving up or down each of the setup settings in physical parameters that can be later checked (with motec for example). However instead of providing a range of parameters for each setting, which I see it difficult to implement, I would prefer just a stable average-track-tuned default setup which would serve as a starting point.

Actually, if three default setups were included (I would expect low, medium and high downforce) it would even more useful. It could be seen how to move the rest of parameters to balance the car correctly.

Looking for the excellence...
    It is typically said that default setups are typically real competitive setups. I do not agree. There is something crucial missing: Tracks are seldomly symmetrical. Default setups are symmetrical. No clue is provided of how to equalize suspensions to balance temperature, wear, ... under non symmetrical conditions. It would be great if requested defaults could have a left or right handed version.

I know that for each track we will stil need to fine tune it. However, I think it would be much easier, provided an example where you can compare which values need to be typically readjusted and in which magnitude for compensating an adjustment in Tyre pressure for example.

enviado mediante tapatalk

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Have to agree with OP, would be great if we would see some sort of info on what things actually do.

Mostly because it would help new/novice users (or lazy ones like me) to have a better entry into the sim, and/or enable people to progress when track-time aint improving anymore. That would help people enjoy the challenging sim quicker maybe. I suspect too many people either ignore them or randomly change things hoping it will improve something.

And no, we should not have to be race engineers.

5. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Totally agree we should not have to be race engineers. I haye this aspect of sim racing, id rather spend time perfecting my driving than figuring out how much caster to throw at it or what packers are needed......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's a nice idea, but the more accurately you simulate a complex machine like a car the harder it is to simplify tuning its operation. If a perfectly accurate sim were possible, and were made, you would need engineers to build the cars and engineers to tune it.

On the other hand, the finer setup adjustments are worth much much less than a skilled driver. Most people seem to think the majority of the 2-3 seconds a lap they're losing to a fast driver is setup, when in reality most of it is their driving.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Bingo XD

If you are driving well and are driving near as fast as you can, a good setup will find you a small amount of time and may make the car easier to consistently run with. It won't cut 4 seconds off your time.

I also don't see how those little "tooltips" on each setup parameter can be definitive either. There is far to much variation with tracks and what effects the parameters will have, and therefore there is not enough space to properly explain each setting and how to use it best. I think having a seperate printout of a setup guide would be much more useful.

8. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Depends how one 'plays' the 'game'. I race in rF2 as part of a team. I'm a crap driver. Watching me attempt a hot lap is like watching Webber's airborne moment in ultraslowmo... you just KNOW it's gonna end badly and inevitably look away from the screen. My friend however is a fairly fast and consistent driver in rF2. Our sessions are done realtime in single player. We'll spend Friday eve and Saturday in open practice - he bashes in the laps, I sit in front of iHud on a pair of iPads, and Excel, and act as race engineer - I handle all setup changes / tyre decisions etc. Personally I wish there was a way to remotely join a single player session as engineer with access to cam views and ability to adjust whatever can be adjusted via the garage. Saturday night is quali, Sunday is race day - 60 laps...

For me the 'garage' side of rF is the most interesting part. For him, it's driving. We started racing this way with rf1 & GP79 thanks to the bonus docs supplied with the mod, some detailed setup matrices (found on here somewhere iirc)... I start by cross referencing these, then head to my MotorSport Magazine collection & Google when they fall short.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlsz7fxgwzaq5ra/rfactor-f1-setup-guide.pdf
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rck75yu8aujkjhi/SetupMatrix.pdf
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ba5if0uaq...ge in English France Spanish Italy German.pdf

Once we've got a good setup dialled in that I don't think we can improve on, I'll start adjusting brake bias on a per corner-sequence basis. Too difficult to do accurately if driving due to lack of ability to set bias presets and a rotary encoder... but when you've got a race engineer you can spend time nailing the bias for each sequence of corners. Silverstone (for instance) is a great circuit to do this with and be able to see impact of those changes...

Eventually I'll get bias mapped to an axis - am modifying an old midi controller's pitch bend wheel for this with adjustable notches - so we can get it controllable by him on a clicks-forward / back basis with the notches shifted to equivalent presets positions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk