Realistic weather/clouds video

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Racefreak1976, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Since I've seen the clouds in Arma3 alpha, I was wondering if ISI could maybe consider TrueSky as a solution for realistic weather and or sky effects (clouds).

See for yourself here, if you don't have access to Arma3 alpha:
    TrueSky

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If only!!

I wonder how much computer power would be left over to do the car physics ;)

Not to mention how much it would cost to license!

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Well, they claim it is easy on the CPU/GPU. The cost might be the biggest factor here. I have no idea how rich Bohemia Interactive is. But I believe ArmA didn't sell many more copies than rFactor 1&2 did. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I wish FSX had these clouds. Even REX can't reach this level. I've literally spent hours watching these clouds build up and move across the sky in ArmA3. It never gets boring and they really look as real as you can probably have them in a video game today.

4. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Some of us are more lucky than others and have oportunity to use tracks modified by K Szczech. ;)

Check out his clouds for rfactor 1*

As you can see, it works fine with rf1, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with rf2.

*he can do this in much higher quality, but he was limited by rf1 engine**
    **check out his old OpenGL project.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I would take that video with a pinch of salt.... it's all clever marketing ;)

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I look forward to his work on RF2 then ;)

7. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

You know, feels, if video game characters (would) have the ability to think and philosophise, if they (would) be concious of themselves. Then you people would be, to them, what Zeus and all those other guys were to ancient Greek. :cool:

Wait...are we living in a video game!??? :rolleyes:

8. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Judging by its the rich level of development on physics side, wouldn't be impossible to ISI achieve results like that. The main issue is if they're willing to do it or not. Right now, we can assume they're not. But who knows! That would be awesome!

I just wish FSX actual clouds were lighter. Damn, optimization passed far from the minds of the developers! ;)

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I'm sure this isn't just a case of copying and pasting code ;) If it was, they would have done it I'm sure.

This probably would have needed to be in the development cycle from the start, impressive as it is.

10. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

It's been quite a while, since I've seen a line of code but I'm pretty sure this thing comes as some kind of modul. Meaning you have to integrate it in a library or something and then link to it. No copy and paste. I could be wrong though. ;)