Realistic Tire Deformation?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by toebee, Jan 22, 2012.

1. toebee

toebee Registered

So I altered the rtrainers hdv to allow me to set the air pressure to 0psi. The problem is that the tire looks just like a tire with normal air pressure. 0-50psi and I saw no visual change. Is this the same for everyone? Will this be updated to be more accurate?

2. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Same with every HDV I tried. I think this part is somewhere in the .tgm, but I can't find it (maybe because I don't really understand this file :D)
    Does someone know where I can set the rubber harder or make the tires look like if they have a bit more air pressure?

3. toebee

toebee Registered

If you want to make it appear harder look for SizeMultiplier in the tgm file and increase the second number. I don't know what affects it has on physics.

My question is more about the tire appearance changing just from air pressure changes.

Edit: I wouldn't use that SizeMultiplier unless its small changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Try hitting R and see if there is change in replay mode? I have my doubts that there is something funny going on with either replay or live mode in this subject, with Meganes you can see easily difference there, but I haven't tested lower pressure for rTrainer.

But as it is not yet complete model, there is some things that will not be working yet, of course knowing what would be helpful :)

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\KnownIssues.txt

perhaps this has something to do with it?

6. toebee

toebee Registered

Ahh I missed that. Could be. Lets hope so.

7. Cubits

Cubits Registered

The problem is most probably caused by "SpringBase=40000" in the tbc file. Try reducing that to 4000, see how you go. ;)

A normal deflated tyre will actually visually deform under its own weight, a base rate of 40000 is ridiculous.

Note: The inflated spring rate may subsequently be too low. I can't be arsed working out the operating rates atm, but that value should let you see proper deformation of a deflated tyre. :)

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

But TBC is obslote now, isn't it?

But usually 240 000 - 320 000 total is range of those springbase and spring kpa, springbase is ok at 40 000 if there is enough springkpa and air pressure to support it, F1 tires had somewhere around 50 000, rF1 ZR had somewhere around 45 000 from my memory.

Total spring is springkpa * pressure + springbase.

However I think that you know that already and your point being that value should be more like 100?

That is at least how it is in reality with tires, but maybe there is something else in there that is reason why values always have been so high?

I have springs in my car that are 26 010 rFactor units, they support weight of 285kg each, that would be 2795.85 Newtons if I calculated correctly.

So springbase of 50 000 would be almost twice of that, I know for sure that pushing my car's spring to compressed is a lot more work than pushing empty tire to flat against ground, so why those values were so high, surely there must be something else to that?

Still, more to do with rF1 that with rF2 I guess as TBC is used mostly for AI in rF2.

Surely it would be easy to test, just to change in TBC value of 10 000 or so and check if there is an effect, but things like these always make me bit curious, why it is like that, how does it work.

9. toebee

toebee Registered

From what I can tell it uses the tbc for size and thats it. It looks like the a.i. uses the rest of the tbc.

10. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

Bear in mind that the rTrainer is only available in dev mode. The version that we have to use might not even be complete yet, lacking the features of the cars that we have been given free-reign over, such as tyre deformation etc.

11. Cubits

Cubits Registered

I wasn't aware that the tbc was obsolete, but then i've only had a cursory glance at the system in rf2 and didn't look too hard into the tgm when i saw the tbc was present. After having more of a look into it all i am far more impressed with ISI for finally dumping their old tyre model after some 15 years! I am far more excited to get back in the saddle.

At any rate, the base spring rate of 40000 in rF1 was wrong and unecessary, like so many numbers in a vast majority of the mods out there. There was nothing wrong with using realistic figures for the tyre spring rates (or the actual spring rates), people just never gave it much thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Even at Bristow's bible there was not much pointers towards that value being too high.

Great chat, I learned again something new, I did tested in rF1 putting lower value, still quite high of 13000 and I can't really tell the difference but that is probably as I did compensate that change with springkpa to maintain same level of total spring.

That tgm is really big thing in rF2, imo. Making tires is now totally different, below this thread is another called ttool and tgm or something like it, I think it is worth to look around at least and also tutorials thread page 4 and of course first post that has quick tutorial for using ttool, with those I got started with that tool. I think many here have more questions than answers at the moment, but at least I try to post up anything I think I figure out, but can't guarantee them being right ideas.

Hopefully those threads will give you bit of help to figuring out how tires works now, at least for me it looked first bit taunting, but after doing first tires it will be much better, just lot of parameters and no idea how to translate realworld ones to ones rF2 uses.