Real rumble sound

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Frankysco, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Hi, I want you hear this video for example (since 0:35):

All times the car go over the rumbles, it´s the same sound, it doesn´t matter how faster go, everytime the same. Its totally false.

Now hear this in 1:03:

Or this in 0:48:

You can hear how the sound goes been more shrill with the speed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Actually, no, the pitch does change with speed. You can hear it in that (rF2) video.

The actual sound used is set by the mod maker, and quite often they leave something to be desired. It would probably be better if several samples could be mixed depending on speed, rather than a simple pitch-change of a single one.

Fair call on hearing rumbles when not on-board, but I think the sound engine has undergone only minor changes since rF1 and will probably be overhauled at some point.

3. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Hi Lazza, I´m watching onboards of the Marussia. The rumble sound is much better, but I don´t feel the pitch changes like in real or iracing videos.

0:22 for example

Or this in 1:24:

4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I do here the rumble sound as a spectaror at brünnchen at the Nordschleife in real live.

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Indeed if the sound can be made speed sensitive that would be great. The volume and pitch of it could be scaled with that as well, the maximum volume for it is indeed the modders' responsibility.

6. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

But in TV circuit cams, they never sound.

Edit: You´re right, in this video we can hear the rumble:

Thx!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're misinterpreting what you're hearing. When you compare the rumble sound when the car is travelling quickly, to when it's travelling more slowly, the pitch has definitely changed. (it was easier in the first rF2 vid you posted, but I think there's a kerb late in the first of the two vids above that has a lower pitch to it)

I would say it's too low (in pitch) for your liking in general, and that's what you're hearing.

'Even in rF1' the kerb rumble changes pitch with speed, so it's not that effect that's lacking (and you're wishing for). You just want a higher rumble pitch, but also probably a bit more flexibility with it so it can sound good at a variety of speeds.

8. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Yeah, I believe with both things you say, the rumbles sound much realistic.

9. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Hi Lazza. Before some tests, that´s not true. The only thing which change is the volume, but the pitch is all time the same; also in rF2.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Without pulling down those videos above, or recording some of my own in-game sounds, and doing a frequency analysis, I'm fairly sure you can hear a pitch change between kerbs at low speed and kerbs at high speed. I'm not saying it starts at the right pitch, or that it scales up as much as it should (though those two are surely related), but I'm pretttty sure it does change :)

11. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Listen in 0:39, 0:47, 1:02

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You haven't actually said what you're showing with that vid, so I'm going to assume you're saying the pitch doesn't change (as you were earlier) :)

I've cut out the sound at those points, played them separately, then put the rumble sounds together and looped them 3 times: (sorry for the RAR and MP3, but I'm not set up for youtube and this doesn't really need video anyway). Unfortunately the video you've used doesn't show the car speed so it's difficult to put these in context.

View attachment kerb sounds 1.rar

I still think your first video above was the better example because you can see the car speed and there is some variation between a couple of kerbs. I've done the same thing with sound from 0:33 and 1:02 (car speed ~230 and then ~160) - played separately, then spliced together and looped 3 times:

View attachment kerb sounds 2.rar

Here's the vid again:

To me that sounds like a pitch change rather than just volume. As per what I said earlier though, the overall pitch is probably too low. (running a low-pass filter over these makes the kerb sound more pronounced but I wanted to avoid any processing so there's no suggestion of tampering ;))

13. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Thxs Lazza! Definitely I agree with you; there´s some pitch change, but we need more range to get a real rumble sound.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Just wanted to bring this up again. Is it possible to increase pitch and volume with speed? Obviously there is the "Sound=rumble" in the *.TDF file but
    I don't think we can control the sound from that file. Would be nice if we can get a real rumble effect going on, it's already halfway there :)

15. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Check out these lines at the bottom of the Player.json

"Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMin":0.8,
    "Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMult":0.0039062,
    "Vehicle Roadnoise VolMult":5e-006,

"Vehicle Roadnoise VolSpeed":32,

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I haven't updated yet due a possible quirck with devmode not working anymore (thought I'd seen a topic about that).

Does that affect the rumble sound though? Will keep it in mind when I do update :)

17. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I only tested briefly and only tried the FreqMult but yes it does affect the rumble. At Silverstone I tried 0.0139062 instead of 0.0039062 (which is a massive change) and the sounds on the rumble strip and road were very different pitch depending on the speed.

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Awesome!!
    Thanks for pointing it out, and thanks for silently fixing this ISI :p

I could literally hear the pitch changing while accelerating on the rumble strip with the value you used, I need something higher for it to sound right but I don't know
    how the track settings affect this value.

edit:
    Wow, I'd thought to check something and what do you know, it was already implemented exactly the same way in rFactor 1! I never knew!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014