Real Road Shader

Discussion in 'Locations' started by R1CHO, Feb 1, 2014.

1. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

can anyone point me in the direction of where i would find info on the real road shader i am having an issue with the reflections on the road it always looks wet .. any ideas ;0

[​IMG]

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

3. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

thx luc now to make sense of it ;P

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Well, the good thing is.... looks top notch while wet!

5. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

rename your materials roada_wet, etc. this will fix the always wet look

6. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

aha the only thing i hadn't tried this isnt needed with the old shader .. thx m8

7. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

thx man yeah i thought the same the old shader doesn't look quite as good as the new when wet

@jim

8. OriK

OriK Registered

I've added the suffix "_wet" to the material and dry weather started with a dry road then but in return the road does not become wet anymore :D. Does it take a while when I start a raining session or should it be wet from the beginning? I've been waiting a few minutes but nothing happened. When I removed "_wet" again from the mat name all became wet again so the material itself seems to be ok. Tested in game, not dev mode.

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Is the racesurface marked as "deformable" in the scn file?

10. OriK

OriK Registered

Yes, in the gmt exporter deformable on the road surface geometry is ticked and also written to the scn file. I also just remember that the name of road mesh should end like _main or something. That was the first part I've set up so I can't tell for sure anymore. It doesn't seem to have an impact actually, when I see your example.

11. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

The important topis are,

- Object name must be Racesurface_xx.gmt
    - Material name can be RoadMain_wet (the importante is the _wet)
    - Tick "live mapper" in last material stage (Stage 7)
    - Deformable option in scn file

12. OriK

OriK Registered

13. OriK

OriK Registered

I've just noticed RaceSurface_ in my mesh name. Rewrote it to Racesurface_ and now it's always dry again :D. Waah, I'don't understand it :D.

14. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's an old shader, use Real Road Shader. And on another note, don't forget to check omni and gmotor normals

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I had something similar when we added mianiak's Newerburg to the Nordschleife. Some of the side roads were always wet (splitted the mesh by materials in 3dSimEd before, side roads were part of the terrain mesh). I checked the gmt's 10 times and finally figured out that I forgot to remove the old terrain gmt from the scn file. :rolleyes: When you load the same mesh twice with different materials strange things can happen. :D

16. OriK

OriK Registered

Oh, just imagine the real road shader in the selection list. This is actually the one I use all the time. Must have choosen this one accidentially when testing around recently but using the real road shader has no effect, everything is completely dry. Gmotor normals and omni activated but I guess this has nothing directly to do with the real road. All other settings from the screen grabs are still valid.
    Are there any limitations to the road mesh? My playground is a huge plane, 1000x1000m in size or is it possible that some texture maps not fulfill the requirements? When I see the wet surface in all weather conditions it looks right actually but apparently there is something missing in the entire setup.

17. OriK

OriK Registered

@Tosch
    Guess, I know what you mean. This issue happened to me already, too :D. But I get accustomed to the scene exporter in 3ds max which writes a clean scn file with all selected objects. Nonetheless I regularly take a look into this file and this time it's definitely clean. Must be something simple, that I overlook and I already see my face palm :D

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Maybe there is a limited projection surface? You can quickly "overload" the reflection mapper by including to many objects. In the same way you can only have a limited number of omni lights on a single mesh.

Just to be sure there is something to reflect (otherwise the road just becomes darker). Have you "enabled" the environment mapper in the scn file? You should see at least a reflection of the sky.

19. OriK

OriK Registered

My playground includes 4 objects only. One of them is the road surface and the reflections work perfectly, except for the car that randomly pops up and disappears but this problem is not my #one atm.

I just don't get it. The mentioned steps are triple-checked and it should work but there is only a wet or only a dry surface in all weather conditions (by changing the mat name, not by changing the weather). Is there something like the "reset the vertex color for the billboards" hint that is not officially documented? By following all mentioned steps there are actually only a few options to consider. That should work in the 2nd attempt at the latest.

I found another line in the TDF file that is apparently referring to the material (copied this one from Joesville): Materials=Road. I guess this one remains as it is. Do I miss another line that has to be set somehow? I'm out of options now except for giving up again. I'm crazy about starting off with the track but don't want to spend time into that without knowing that and how everything works.

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Try a smaller, more road mesh sized playground (100x20m) or split the large mesh in smaller pieces.
    Have you deleted all files in the cbash folder(\ModDev\UserData\Log\CBash)?
    Have you deleted all files in the shader folder (\ModDev\UserData\Log\Shaders)?
    Is your SDK up to date? http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/

The random car reflection is a reflection mapper problem with LOD switching. A car without LOD's works perfectly. You can disable LOD's for Some1's NSX and C6R inside the car tuning menu for testing.

About the tdf file.