Real road for non tarmac

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Woodee, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If realroad can affect tarmac for grip with rubbering in with added wet and dry states, what happens with offroad materials?

Could grass have a normal texture but when a car runs over it (like tarmac rubbers in) it would reveal a muddy underneath?

Does this make sense?

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Yes, something like this is possible, in theory.
    In reality, if you'd develop Real..Grass and RealDirt shaders and the underlying tech, you'd hit some limitations:

• Non-tarmac meshes would require higher poly density just like RealRoad works better with more road polys than in previous products;
    • These would require tables stored in memory, just like RealRoad;
    • and they'd have to be synchronized between server and clients. You'd be asking the netcode to process and send the data that any other game uses + RealRoad + more Real'Terrain' data.
    My personal guess is that we will see something like this at some point in the future, a few sim generations from now.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Way to burst my bubble Luc!

Is it just not technically possible in Rf2? Surely if there is dirt tracks and deformation planned then it must be something that could attempted nearer the end of Rf2's lifecycle?

It would be good to at least try it to see what computers could handle it right now.

4. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Anything is possible :) .
    Technically, you could do it right now by increasing the mesh density of the grass surfaces and assigning the RealRoad shader using grass maps and calling the object RaceSurface_Something. It wouldn't exactly look or behave the way you'd want it to, but it would react just like the road does (it would BE a road!).

Then invite some of your friends to go crazy on any part of the track and wait for the groove/marbles to synchronize. It's a lot of data, especially on a longer track :) .

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well it is an idea at least :)

6. dandar

dandar Registered

Don't worry Woodee ! ISI promises to do the most realistic Nascar mod ever ... spinning in the grass at the end is a must :D so they will eventually do a RealGrass ...

Oh boy ! I think my comment has posponed the mod release time by a few sim generations from now :p

Damn Luc was right ... again !