real road and real life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaux, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Just watched this video of Verstappen tackling the new Mexico circuit pavement.

It remindes me of the struggles you face when racing real road's "green track" setting.

There are not often video moments that capture it that visually so I thought I lead you guys to it.

Have a great weekend.

[video]https://youtu.be/DWKRxJVDUTA[/video]

2. Alejandro1

Alejandro1 Registered

I thought the same.
    Brazil last year comes to mind too.
    Apart from the fact that the dirty side has very little grip and apparently marbles are not cleaned when using saved realroad profiles, it seems great for me.

But RealRoad helped to create a lot of criticism among my colleagues where I live. Because 1, 2 years ago they would go to a green track and say "Rfactor 2 is like driving on ice". And because one other product on offer at the time had a extremely high grip profile by default, none of them came back to revisit the game.
    "This physics guy from product B says that it should not be hard to drive on the limit and over the limit and he knows this because he drives the car. rFactor 2 uses an old philosophy that product B is trying to overcome"
    Its really sad what good marketing and first impressions can do to tarnish the image of a great product.

3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Well... tbh I wasn't prepared to talk about any other sim than rf2. :p

So...let's keep it like that.(?) ;-)

4. Alejandro1

Alejandro1 Registered

Yes, I received the memo too on twitter about what the trolls have caused.
    That's why I only referred to it as "product B". Which is also really great.
    But going back to topic. Really great feature... that put a lot of people away.

But some like myself think that the dirt side without marbles should have a little bit more grip like on other games?

5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hmm. Hard to say. Especially online, where people drive so many different lines, that the hole track is rubbered in after a hole session. Haha.

Anyway..I like realroad. Rf1 is quite boring without it...

6. Alejandro1

Alejandro1 Registered

Oh, you nailed it. Thats what make the difference in realroad in single player and in real life.
    But, interestingly, if you had the opportunity to download the Silverstone mod from FSR 2015, theyve made a profile with rubber everywhere after some discussion that the outside had much less grip on the original.

Heres a screenshot of that realroad:
    http://i61.tinypic.com/15p48px.jpg

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

So...that's basically regression to the static tech where the track is uniform...wow XD

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

lol

When a mod is set up so green means green - not just the start of a weekend - it seems good practice to throw a layer of light rubber over everything in devmode and then do some rubbering for the various presets. Not fun leaving proper green off the racing line.

But yeah, that's very different to heavy rubber everywhere, that would be a waste :)

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

"simulations aim to be as realistic as possible, recreating real-world conditions whether or not it makes the experience more or less enjoyable.

Games, meanwhile, place an emphasis on, well, having fun. And if you're a game developer wanting to maximise enjoyment for the player, then compromises on realism will almost certainly be necessary
    ."

Good quote from a recent article. These so called "hardcore" leagues are just gamers after all. :)

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, even among simmers most will try rain a couple of times as a novelty then just get annoyed with it. I think even the majority of real race drivers who talk about enjoying it are just positive self-talking or enjoy the opportunity to hopefully take advantage of it to beat others, rather than actually enjoying going much slower and having to concentrate harder, not able to see properly, etc.

*But for realism, as a league admin I see that as an obligation to force the possibility of rain and slippery tracks on the drivers, whatever they may think of it :eek:

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

Oh I thought that looked like a heavy layer over the track, my mistake XD

12. Alejandro1

Alejandro1 Registered

Will the newer tracks from ISI themselves feature this kind of profile with light rubber everywhere for green and then have the medium/heavy/saturated being the additional rubbered racing line on top of that?
    Because, I don't remember Portugal being like that.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I just said it seems good practice - I don't know what they'll do :)

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well you'd have to ask yourself what you mean by a cleaned track - a permanent circuit that's been swept? A street circuit that's been swept as much as it can be? What about a recently (re)surfaced track, like the Austin F1 track in the first year where people were sliding around everywhere? For me a sim should try to allow for reasonable scenarios, and that greasy new tarmac should be considered.

Of course you quickly get into splitting hairs (does a track represent a particular moment when it was more greasy, or broken up, is a track in a dusty environment, is it never really cleaned properly, ...) and more recently ISI have lowered the gripping up effect of rubber on their tyres, which makes the green feel a bit less green than it used to. I just find it's better to lay some light rubber down everywhere to get a better base (representing a normal race weekend) and am using similar rubber & marble values to ISI, so I think that's a good idea. In my opinion. I like to think I'm usually right, same as everyone else does ;)

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

rF2's green track is freshly laid asphalt, though also akin to dirty, very dusty surface (think Albert Park FP1).

16. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The reason that FSR offers some pre set RR saturation levels is that starting fresh and with a green track results in one very grippy line and NO grip offline. It doesn't make for great racing/passing.
    The usual practice is to use the 25% pre set so there is some grip off the racing line.
    IMO it works well. I did a club race recently and in one key braking zone the line was so tight that getting one side of the car off line made it want to spin. Made passing ultra hard, not always fun.

17. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Rosberg said from practice to the end of the qualifying the track got 7 seconds faster! Sounds much heavier than difference from green to rubbered in rF2.

18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Could have also been temperature-related! And at least can be Rosberg-related ;)

Ever really tested differences with F1-mod?

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Yes I did it once on Silverstone, but not recently. I didn't remember the exact difference but I'm pretty sure it was less than 7 seconds. But could be Ozzy-related [emoji6]
    But nevertheless the track was in an unusual condition with fresh tarmac which wasn't completely dried. This might not be the typical green state.

20. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

In real life track is very, very rarely "green", unless you are driving brand new track (like Mexico) or on street circuit without recent racing sessions.

In rF2 track builders mostly assign "Light Rubber" setting as default, so driving in the begining is not like "on ice" until rubbers starts to build up.