Re-create great races from the past?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Blair, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Mike Blair

Mike Blair Registered

Apologies if this has been discussed.

As I was browsing along and watching an old F1 Season Review DVD this morning I had a thought...

It would be really cool if we could 'go back' and race some of these classic races in a sim. I know that there are great F1 mods that have tracks/cars from the past and GP Legends sort of did this, but I'm thinking along the lines of something that is a bit more tightly 'scripted' (for lack of a better word).

An example could be last week's GP in Korea. I'd love to download a sim 'race' (which loads into rF2) in which I could drive Alonso's car as Webber crashes out and then Vettel's Red Bull blows its engine.

I guess another, smaller scale possibility would be to be able to drive Gilles Villeneuve's Ferarri against Rene Arnoux's Renault for the final laps of the 1979 French Grand Prix (one of the best on-track battles I can think of). The sim could set it up and then you would get to try and drive it and re-create historic results.

I'm not sure if this concept is similar to anything out there now, like RTR for example.

Any-who, I think it would be fun... what do you think?

:cool: :D :cool:
    Cheers- Mike B

PS: I do realize that this would probably only be possible in a new game, rather than an rF2 'feature'...

2. O11

O11 Registered

But then you'd already know what's going to happen. I don't think it would be entertaining.

And you'd have to take care not to change anything. Like you can't block a car in the first round because then the epic final lap battle may never happen for example.

Or you just ram the wrong car of the road.

Or you win the race instead of Gerhard Berger and your parents won't meet and kiss for the first time at Berger's celebration party, so they don't get married and YOU'LL NEVER BE BORN!!! Stuff like that.

3. Cris_Ace

Cris_Ace Registered

The only thing sure in a race is your starting grid position...even the starting time is unpredictable ;)

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You could possibly do something like this with ghost cars, that's the only way I can really see it working... So that you can't modify the outcome and can still directly perform against the real result. Not sure about this one... Great idea though.

5. Mike Blair

Mike Blair Registered

I knew it was a really vague idea. I see now how it would be a difficult balance between just being a 'replay' of a historic race/on-track battle (which was not the intent) and actually being able to have an influence on the outcome of the race.

The game could just set up the 'situation' and then the AI would take over from there for the competitor's cars. Although this would probably only work for very specific situations like the second original example (Arnoux/Villeneuve 1979), setting aside the idea regarding the Korean GP for the time being.

So, you'd be driving Villeneuve's car, just against the AI, which would not be 100% historically accurate. The differences in performance of the cars would be there, say how the Renault was much faster than the Ferarri once the turbo spooled up on the straights.

The only guarantee of a historically accurate result would be based on your driving skills behind the wheel of the Ferarri in the sim.

Anyhow, I realize that this is most not anything which could reasonably be incorporated into rF2... I suppose it was just more of a general simulation concept that I think could make a cool game or feature someday.

Cheers :cool:

@Tim W - Thank you for replying, I never thought of doing it with Ghost cars - which is an interesting thought. Any news on a stand-alone Commodore 64 Server edition? - lol, just kidding.

@Cris_Ace - Are you the Stig? :confused: ;)

6. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

Not sure if you guys remember, but F1 World Grand Prix on the Nintendo 64 had an excellent 'Challenge' mode, in which you had to take part in famous (or infamous) racing events like having to drag Fisichella's Jordan back to the pits at Hockenheim after suffering a puncture whilst racing for a potential podium position in 1998, or driving as Eddie Irvine and holding up other cars so that Schumacher could go onto win the championship at Suzuka.

Not exactly what you were getting at, Mike, but I think the concept was superb. On of my fond memories on the F1WGP series...

Edit: Here's a video of one of the above examples on YouTube...

7. Mike Blair

Mike Blair Registered

@JWRPayne - Yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Thank you for replying, I had wondered if it had been done before and now I know :)

8. buzard

buzard Registered

One of the NASCAR sims had a series of historic situations and you had to equal the real results.

buzard