Random RFACTOR 2 crash - rfactor 2 has stopped working

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Jän Hahn Liang, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jän Hahn Liang

Jän Hahn Liang Registered

Everytime I'm racing(in the race, not UI), at some random point of time, RF2 will suddenly crash with error message: Rfactor 2 has stopped working.

This has been happening not only during the latest build, but also previously when I was on all other previous builds.

There's no specific track or vehicle when it happen, it just happen randomly.

I've tried reinstalling, also tried installing with lite installer, and till date it still happens and can't solve it.

This time I went to Windows Event Log, here are the information I'm able to get:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only plugin I have installed is realheadmotion, other than that its all clean.

Please help as everytime I race, my mind just keep hoping the sudden crash don't happen.

My pc spec: | i5 2320 | H61M/U3S3 | 2x Corsair 4GB DDR3 RAM | FSP Hexa 500 | GeForce GTX 650 Ti | Samsung S27A550H LED | Logitech G25 | Running on Windows 8 Pro

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Does it crash without the plugin?

3. Jän Hahn Liang

Yes I've tried without the plugin before and it did crashed too..

4. 88mphTim

If it's always while you're driving, is there any specific timing to it? For example always 15mins in?

5. Jän Hahn Liang

Thanks for replying.

Nope, it can happen as early as during the formation lap, or even mid race say lap 18.

I will try the next race without any plugin again to see if it works, anyway is NetCommUtilPlugin.dll a default RF2 file in the plugin folder or can I delete it?

6. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Maybe this will help, I just built a new system and I experienced random hangs on build 240, display for rfactor2 would freeze. I would have to kill it within the task manager. What resolved it for my setup thus far was to set the max frame rate to 120FPS.

I run without vsync and my 660Ti (latest drivers) would give me anywhere from FPS at 80 at the start grid with 12 AI @Silverstone, all the way to 150+ FPS in other areas of the track. rF2 seems to be a bit unstable if the frame rates bounce around too much or get too high but that is just a best guess. So far with frames capped I haven't had another freeze.

FWIW - I never had a problem with my GTX555 card but then again that would never see much over 90FPS on its best day.

7. Jän Hahn Liang

thanks for the tips will definitely try it out, recently did a clean uninstall of driver and install the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia, with no plugin running, and yes it did happened again. Will try capping the frame rate and see whether it works.

Anyway I've resorted to another solution(yet to test it out thoroughly so yet to experience the random crash again) by perform clean uninstall of nvidia driver in safe mode, then upon restart, let windows automatically choose and install an nvidia driver, which turn out to be installing an old one in fact, and then click no to any driver update notification afterwards. So currently I'm running with old driver, hopefully this driver did solved the problem as there are positive signs spotted after I downgrade to this older driver, I no longer experience crash or stutter or freeze while playing Starcraft 2, hopefully this sign also means I run rfactor 2 without any problem anymore be it running with old nvidia driver.

8. 88mphTim

When you install the nV driver, it should ask you if you want to do a clean install and remove older settings... You might have to select advanced install to get that option?

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Are you overclocking? sometimes does funny things to your cache.
    Do any other programs suffer random crashes?
    Also check if your overheating, rf2 can heat up your gfx and cpu pretty well, maybe try just basic graphics first.