Rally and us...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Since there is no sign of rF2 having gravel/rally content, not that I would expect it to anyways, and it being so long since anything rally related was released worth mentioning, I went and did some re-research about the recently released WRC3.

The out of box experience seems to be as it was at the day of release... worth 6-7/10 depends how much you appreciate the licence and rally itself.
    Now the reason why I bought the game is a very simple one, and rF2 being the uncrowned king of modding, it fits for the forums here that the reason is all about the spaniards from Ecsimhardware who created Advanced Physics Engine and Advanced Plugin mod for WRC3, before the game developers got out one single patch or bug fix. (which is yet to happen)

It is absolutely brilliant how they turned a mediocre game into a pure blood sim and I dare say so that it actually can compete with RBR.
    Its hard and fun and has very interesting content, the presentation is still kinda hokey and lacks the simlike feel to it but the drive itself is truly great. I can recommend this to everyone who just wants to get their hands on a good modern rally sim.

http://ecsimhardware.com/?page_id=2108
    Download all the content from the 2 links there, copy/paste them to the WRC3 folder and youre good to go.

Now, rF2 rally and gravel content. I sure do hope that there is going to be rallycross, its something that is totally absent from sim market.
    I know I know, not on top of the list, but not really talking to ISI right now, more so to the modding community who might just have a tingling sensation that would turn into gravel tracks with crappy cars from old beetles, volvos, fords, etc... everyman racing type of vehicles to the monsters they race with in USA.
    Does it require for ISI to make something with the physics engine and tire model so that the gravel can happen, you tell me? If so, just do it.

ps. bring working clutch for the gold. thanks ;)

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We actually do expect to do some work with those kind of track/road surfaces. But it'll be a later (free) addon, I expect.

3. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

The main problem with WRC3 for me is that the stages seem veeeery dull. At least based on some youtube videos. They all seem like large flat airstrips. There just doesn't seem to be any challenge which one can find in RBR stages and most importantly in real life. The game has so much potential because of the license to use real WRC stages but all they do is take a random stage name, like Jukojärvi, and make rubbish probably even without visiting Finland.

Just look at this video. A small plane could land in the middle of the forest becuase the road is 2.5x too wide! :D It's sad really because Jukojärvi is such a great and demanding stage irl.

I don't know if there are any usermade stages to WRC3 but if there is (preferably over 10 kilometres in length :p ), I could perhaps give it a try. All I want is a decent challenger for RBR who's already at first grade in school. He's so old already! I really really really hope ISI will make one :)

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I do agree that some stages are too wide, but the boring ones I just simply skip. The handling is so much fun that you dont even notice the stages not being real half the time tho.
    Its a young game and I really hope that the rallysim community takes it in and starts to devolep mods/stages/cars for it and that the game developers push some patches and work to improve their product and not just go with the "done sold next" route, which in turn encourages the community to act.
    This all ofcourse requires for people to get the game and try it with the advanced physics and see for them selves that it is worth to work on.

I remember Tim there being talks about all that and was it confirmed or not but it also needs modders to get their hands dirty.
    I appreciate the reply, nice to know that there is a post-it note somewhere on the noticeboard. :p
    Getting this kind of content to rF2 would just excel it to be even cooler franchise than it already is, and thats saying alot.
    Rally with these physics and ffb, all I can come up with is wow!

Edit:
    NoGripRacing has some skins and stage updates, I havent tried any of them yet, but atleast theres folks working on some.
    http://www.nogripracing.com/files.php?maincat=14

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  5. 88mphTim

ISI devs seem to prefer scribbling on a whiteboard. :)

6. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

have you guys heard about Grally? ( Google it) not much about right now but is in alpha, Its from a rbr modding team apparently this could be our next Rally sim successor to the Benchmark that is Richard Burns Rally

7. 88mphTim

It's good to see the genre being catered to. It seems largely overlooked.

8. Davox

Davox Registered

I hope to see something like this in no more than 2 years...

9. Max

Max Registered

RSRBR 2013 If you want rally, look no further, and updated too. Those that know, know RSRBR 2013. A must have for any fan of rally

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Heck. Yes.

Bloody brilliant stuff by them.

11. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

totally, although i haven't dl'ed it i plan to very soon..... once i get my e brake mounted

12. Max

Max Registered

some of the BTB tracks are over 10 km.. Great driving. Tons of cars and tracks, it's 25 gigs all installed.

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

RBR is dated and passe. I played RBR for years, stopped and picked it up again this past year. It has not aged well. It has issues with many controllers, the FFB is poor, the graphics are horrendous, sound is terrible. It doesn't support FSAA or AF. 2d sprites.

It's time for rFactor2 to put RBR to rest.

14. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Well I suggest you look at RSRBR...if you are keen on the actual driving of a rally car, nothing comes close.
    If you are keen on flashy graphics...well yeah ;)

It doesn't really look crap to me anyway...but i think this debate may have happened before...XD

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have RSRBR12 on my PC. Part of the problem too though is all the BS you have to go through to get it working on a modern system. It's a PITA. That, as much as anything, is why I put ti down for good :( I have a lot of fond memories of RBR, but at some point it's time to move on.

This is as much of the reason I got rF2 on the first day the beta dropped as anything. When rallying is ready on rF2, I'll be back on dirt.

17. osella

osella Registered

RBR is still the best rally sim when it comes to car behaviour on any surface, not just tarmac and variery of well madestages.
    Unfortunately it's really annoying to use with mods like RSRBR and yeah, very aged today, FFB and sounds are pretty bad. Also the physics engine isn't even remotely flexible like gmotor because it was specifically developed for very specific range of cars, which is early 2000s WRC with 4wd and smart differentials, low pressure turbo and wide rpm range.
    So although you can drive pretty much any rally car ever made with RSRBR, no other cars besides those intended feel that well, be it fwd cars or group B.
    One day I want to see rally sim properly doing these unforgettable cars :eek:

Walls of spectators would be a must for simulating 80s rally, back then there were millions of spectators on some rallies!

18. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Crazy people! :D

19. Golanv

Golanv Registered

*drool*

20. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I installed the good 'ol RBR and RSRBR 2013 again. My goodness thats a good game, I mean its just scary good to drive and just ages so well its not even funny. Big thanks for that obviously goes to the modding groups that have kept up with it for so long.
    As a Finnish person you dont take your hat off too easily for a Swede, but here it comes off and I'll be happy to eat it or give it away or what ever the Warthog folks want me to do with it.