Rain & Puddles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, May 13, 2020.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

rF2 simulates the depth of every part of the puddle with the puddles map. The darker parts are deeper. You have to use a tablet to make the puddle map, because the texture is huge. Otherwise the accuracy of the puddle map wouldn't be good. It's needed to be very precise.
    I'm not saying that the system is ideal. I don't defebd the system, but you can do what you want with enough time and work.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't think that puddle map texture has any deciding power over physics. It is just for visuals. And afaik rF2 doesn't simulate depth, but percentage of some arbitrary saturation of how much the tarmac is able to "soak". Which at the end gives similar feel to wet road, but without many physical effects that happens in real life. So for example no dynamic hydroplaning, no viscous hydroplaning, no reverted rubber skid, a lot of other things.... also tarmac roughness parameters very likely works incorrectly for wet conditions.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, i don't explained correctly.
    Puddles now don't afect physics, but it's supossed that the depth "painted" in the puddles map will interact with physics.
    Now can be diferent depths in one puddle but it's only visual.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Important that we're clear: mine and mantasisg's posts refer to what happens right now. Further layers of interaction between the puddle maps and the physics were on the radar when the puddles came in (3 years ago?) but hasn't happened yet, so for the purposes of a discussion about rF2 in its current state they are purely a graphical item.

(if something has happened in the background and there actually is some interaction I'd love to be corrected by a dev - though I'd also like to see some TGM parameters that can then differentiate a slick from a wet tread tyre for the purposes of aquaplaning...)

lagg likes this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, i totally agree with you. I'm not defending the puddles system. English isn't my native language and it's difficult for me.
    Nowadays the puddles only have graphical influence.
    But the way that they have implemented sugests me a future implementation with physics.
    Otherwise i wouldn't understant so complicated system.