Race Tonight - Silverstone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C3PO, Jul 14, 2013.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Race Tomorrow Night (Sat) - Silverstone

Hi Everybody,

I'll be hosting a 1 hour race featuring the ISI GT1 and GT2 cars at Silverstone. Format will be:

Practice: 60 mins
    Qualy: 30 mins (unlimited laps)
    Race: 60 mins (timed)

Server will be up at 20:00 BST (19:00GMT), so practice ends at 21:00 BST and the approximate time for the race start will be 21:35BST (if my maths is correct).

Looks like my server settings are working correctly so please pile in and let's have some fun. Server name will be: C3PO Silverstone

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  2. lamo

lamo Registered

CanĀ“t find server.

3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

You were too early :) Up now :)

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Just had the most spectacular race session :D

About half a dozen came onto my server, maybe 10 at one point for practice, and we were trading top spots on the times with myself, "lamo" and Jamie Shorting. Great session and really good how the tyres and the track gripped up with real road.

Qualy came and I was pipped to the top spot by an amazing lap from lamo. We went to the race and after a fast rolling start he shot off like a bullet. I thought "Jeez, no way will I be in this race..." My strategy was a simple two-stopper and I assumed others would try the same. Oh no. 15 minutes into the hour-long race lamo is pitting for fuel and (I think) tyres! Stormed past the pits to take the lead and with a gap of something like 33 seconds put some hard driving in in clean air.

I had been a bit reckless on a car with a full tank and hammered the tyres early on so they were not in their best condition or handling mode. I did as much as I could to maintain the lap and saw lamo hunting me down. I then pitted for full fuel and tyres and rejoined, by which time lamo had snatched the lead back again.

Then he pitted for his third stop and I was in sector three. This was going to be mega close. I drove like a demon past the new pits complex and saw lamo was already heading towards the pits exit. I jinked my GT-R right with more than I would have dared any other time, determined not to let him retake the lead. It worked! The car shot past him as he joined the track, I was in the lead again.

Fully puffed up and embued with confidence (you know where this is going ;) ) The World's Greatest Sim Racing Driver decided to cane it to eek out a gap to lamo, who was stupendously fast. All was going well until Copse Corner when for some inexplicable reason I lost it before the fast right hander and barrelled into the barrier. DAMMIT!

Lamo graciously slowed down so that if there had been no damage the fight would be closer again (how nice!) but I had bad damage. Two mins of pit repairs halted the chance of a race win but when I did rejoin I caned it as much as possible to close the gap. But two cars were already in front and Lamo crossed the line the winner. MikeeCZ came second with a great drive and I managed to get onto the podium.

In short, that was a fantastic racing experience. The track was as alive as I felt, with the rubber going down and affecting the tyres. Dynamic management added massive amounts of excitement to the race. There were no real issues, I did see in the replay during practice a car floating a little bit in the air but this might have been down to bandwidth issues my end (my wife was on iplayer at one stage).

I'm totally knackered and am going to bed. Thanks to all those who took part and I'll leave the server up overnight.

5. lamo

lamo Registered

Same here, I was shaking and sweating after that race and had to fix myself a drink and have a smoke to calm down. [lol]
    I never got so excited with any other Sim. All you need is a hand full of reasonable drivers and a working server. The rest is there, right now.

I hope there will be more races like that, apart from the usual 10 - 15 min short races. They are fine but honestly, the longer the race the bigger the grin in my face and the pleasure about RF2. 15 mins is too short to see the full potential of this lovely piece of code.

I LOVE IT!!!

Yours truly, Lamo

6. Jize

Jize Registered

indeed. 10-15 min races still have some arcadish character to it just because they are...short. it really is true with appreciation of the game potential coming from longer plays.

7. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Will be hosting another race tomorrow evening (Saturday) same server name/car/track and time combination.

8. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Feel like hosting tonight? :)

9. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I'm working unfortunately tonight!

10. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Sorry guys -- cancelled tonight's session due to other things :(