Questions from a new player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by A_A_G, Aug 27, 2021.

1. A_A_G

A_A_G Registered

Greetings everyone, i want to start by mentioning that i am totally new to simracing and just got into following F1 since the Silverstone GP, i got rFactor 2 and also 2 DLCs (Formula Pro and Monza) and have been running just that practicing for around a week now, and i have many questions that mostly will sound dumb so sorry about that in advance.

1- In the Difficulty settings, i have Invulnerability turned on, does that mean that my car will run the same throughout all the practice laps? (im only doing infinite laps of practice alone to get the hang of things for now), including the tyres and everything?

2- As for the DRS, afaik you can activate it only in certain areas of the track and also if youre within 1 second behind someone else in real life (or so i think from watching couple of races), but in my practice i can activate it whenever basically, how can i know the exact areas that im allowed to? (Monza specifically), also is there a way to make it not activate wherever? like it only activates to my command only if im in the right area/time
    3- This will sound dumb i believe, but is the Fomula Pro basically the F1 or? if not, where can i get the exact F1 202 in this game?

4- The setup section is such an overwhelming menu that i really want to avoid for now until i really learn how to drive super well, is there a common/best setup for Fomula Pro that i should use, or just stick to the default for now?

5- Where should i learn from to get to the next level and make progress? its only been a week but i havent seen progress in my timings for a couple of days now.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@A_A_G Took a while for that to show up because you're new, but here we are :p

1. Invulnerability stops you from breaking things off your car and killing the engine. It doesn't make your car 'static' in any other way; for that you want to edit the Session Settings when you're setting up the 'Race' weekend.

It looks like this:

upload_2021-8-28_12-0-25.png

If you set time scale to none, fuel usage and tire wear to Off, and in the Practice 1 section set Realroad Time Scale to Static, you'll have a completely static car with static conditions. So tyre temperature aside, you have the same potential laptime on your 50th lap as you do on the 1st.

4 and 5 are a bit linked: generally most default setups are fairly good, and if you're new to simming you'll make more time in your driving than in setup. But F1 being as it is, you'll definitely want to adjust downforce for different tracks, and that can potentially lead you down many paths adjusting and optimizing ride heights vs downforce vs springs and then damping and diff settings etc etc etc.

But I suspect that if you find some laptime comparisons with other (human) drivers, you're probably a second or two away from normal competitive laptimes, and 3-4s (a lap!) behind the really fast guys. Unless you're a bit of a freak and have really hit the ground running, in which case I can offer zero advice :D

The other questions I'll leave to people more familiar with the content.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

2) DRS it depends a bit on the track and if it's equipped with DRS zones but if it is DRS will be available in those zone at all times in practice and qualifying but only in the race when you are within 1 sec (behind) of a competitor at the previous detection point.
    It will never operate automatically, you need to press a button. To bind a button do that to "rear flap".
    To practice and improve your driving I recommend watching the brilliant Skip Barber video "Going Faster" I will link here. Ignore the fashions, physics hasn't changed. Watch it at least twice all the way through and then practice. Probably best to start off doing that in a slower car on a simple track as you get more time and twice the distance to practice each skill. The Tatuus Formula cars on Skip Barber track are ideal.

Setup: When you want gradually to learn about it I made a series of videos and wrote a guide. I will link the first video here.
    Have fun, you will get faster!

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

@A_A_G
    Have the above posts been of any help to you?