Questions and wishes regarding AI

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by SPASKIS, Mar 9, 2018.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Question
    Which tire/physics model does "own car AI" (when you press I key)?
    I understand it uses rF1 model for both since several log channels are empty when you check telemetry.
    Wish
    It would be nice and useful if it used the same tire/physics as when you drive so that you could yield conclusions regarding telemetry changes.

Question
    Which strength level does own AI use?
    Wish
    Include some setting so that we could change this. It would be nice so that offline endurance races made sense and you could pass your car to own AI for "his stint"

Question
    Is it possible to put latest official released cars into devmode?
    Wish
    Include the possibility to use normally installed content into dev mode. It would be useful to adjust AIW for those cars having problems at a specific venue.

Question
    Is it possible to use any of the "learning methods" to redefine (and hopefully improve) AIW?
    Or are the learning methods based more on changing driving parameters to best fit fast path?
    Wish
    Implement this possibility to the learning method that fits best with this feature.

Question
    Which learning methods are currently available in latest DX11 build. Number 1 is not working for me.

Wish
    Bet for the learning method that you feel could provide best results in the future and remove the rest. Actual system is a mess.

Endurancer, bhendrik and Louis like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

First question, yes, it uses rF1 style physics. I think there is/was an option to run the AI with player physics (for the player car) in devmode, if I'm not just getting confused with the option to use the old tyre model for the player.

I think generally it's true to say that developing AI for a more complex physics model is more difficult, and the AI behaviour is already not as good as it could be (see the other recent wishlist thread regarding their braking, which I'm sure we've all seen). If rF2 had no third party content I'm sure you would see more believable and balanced AI performance with a much simpler AI model (with performance (and strategy) tweaked to suit each type of car). The difficulty is doing that with unknown content that people can install.

Regarding telemetry, I wonder how relevant it would be for more than the basic tests you can already quickly do as a player anyway. Even two real drivers may need quite different setup tuning to suit their style, so using AI for that finetuning would require the AI to also have your own particular style.

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For people who play more than 90% OFFLINE like me, it would be great if we could have an AI "Ultra Realistic".

It seems to me, if I'm not mistaken, that this represents a majority of users (definitely not those who go to forums I presume).

Let's hope that RF2 will soon have better performances with AI.

Louis likes this.
  4. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

The option is to drive AI physics in dev builds.

I wish there was an option to make the AI drive with player physics just to see.

5. Louis

Louis Registered

What is basic steps to tweek Ai settings for a better performance?
    Is it possible to a modder assign different values of aggressiveness and strength for 2 drivers at the same team?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I had to go back and check to work out what I was remembering.

So there's an option in the player.JSON to drive with AI physics (could be a devmode keyboard shortcut too, but not sure), and there's also the option to drive with the old tyre model (definitely a shortcut for that, it's mentioned in one of the old tutorial PDFs as a way to check tyre size/deflection against the .tbc values).

What's not in the JSON (from what I can see) is the Ctrl-I shortcut, which drives the car with player physics. "HDVehicle under special control" or something like that. If you check Ctrl-C you can see it's using CPU just like when you drive the car yourself. It's a sort of half and half as it ignores session timings and you have to disable the pit limiter yourself (both those based on a test I just did; could be wrong as I toggled between special control, normal AI control, and player control a few times testing shortcuts).

So give that a go @SPASKIS (obviously it's intended more for car development, rather than baseline setup testing for the end user)

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Im not interested in driving AI physics. I would like AI to drive human physics.

Edit: i see you point that it is possible as well. Only for dev mode?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@SPASKIS You should read that again.

*Post-edit edit: Yes, devmode only unfortunately.

:D

SPASKIS likes this.
  9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I did and edited while you replied ;)

10. caravan_driver

Tested the "hdv under..." and the AI was 5 seconds slower compared to AI physics with I key.
    Also there is no controls log in the telemetry unlike the conventional AI control.

One interesting thing that I noticed is that with hdv under... the AI inputs are similar to human.
    And even more interesting is the fact that the brake and throttle positions used (looking at the replay overlay) are similar to mine with same setup. Which is at odds with IRL telemetry from Silverstone with a similar car to the FISI. The pressures used IRL are always higher. And the throttle IRL is way more agressive than mine and AI's (the AI in this special mode just cant manage to accelerate properly).

EDIT:
    And the CPU usage is not that high. So I think they could indeed run more than "5 cars" like people say out there. Unless the bottleneck is elsewhere like in some system bus.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    SPASKIS likes this.
  11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For me :
    aggressivity= 25 % (standard)
    Force = 100% (normally that is the realistic setting)
    ai limiter = 0% (irrealistic)

Louis likes this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Louis in the player.json : ai mistakes minimum 1 (more human)

Louis likes this.
  13. Louis

Louis Registered

I thought any value diferent from 0% would be unrealistic

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Depends on what you consider realistic. Going 100% of your possibilities is not the best option if you are leading by 10 seconds and a few laps remaining.

Some real drivers manage their advantage better or at least differently than others.

15. Louis

Louis Registered

Well, so i didn´t understand what this setting does. I thought it was to "artificially" keep the pack together.
    like: ai limiter 5% = last place Ai wont be 5% slower then the first place

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

And it basically packs the group by reducing the path of the leader.
    IMO a small percentage of AI limiter represents real life where the leader eases off to save fuel or tires in case for example a SC is deployed. If set too high it gets unrealistic.

DrivingFast likes this.
  17. Louis

Louis Registered

hmm, i thought this was mod related. Like modern f1 could be driving on the limit much more time than old f1. Like related to damage.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

CPU usage for me (by which I mean the Ctrl-C physics graph) is identical to driving myself, which for my old CPU means 55-60% at minimum. Normal AI control is something like 6-7%.

caravan_driver likes this.
  19. caravan_driver

I forgot there is a minimum system requirement.
    They just cant raise that without releasing a new title I think.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

My CPU is certainly on the low end, but from what I've seen even the fastest CPUs aren't much below 15-20% on the CPU physics graph in rF2 (which would make sense given their performance relative to mine as far as overall efficiency and clock speed). That usage isn't something you want to max out as rF2 runs at 400Hz including input, which means you don't just need to get a certain amount of stuff done each second - you need to get 1/400th of that stuff done every 1/400th of a second, so any little spikes in use can put you out of realtime. I think 75% use would be a practical limit, I know if background processes are pushing mine to that level I'm bound to have some issues occasionally.

So I think the quoted 5 cars probably isn't far off, even allowing for some overhead. Plus, the only real benefit - which isn't insignificant in itself - would be the AI cars being able to use the same physics files directly, meaning no player/AI performance mismatch. The problem, apart from CPU power to run a full field, which obviously no one has, is writing AI code that makes best use of that vehicle performance because to drive the true physics you need to make them drive like a person, which isn't easy. Overall I think it's better to keep the AI model simpler (perhaps even simpler than it is now, though that's just guessing) and add enough logic to make their performance vary in response to conditions and wear in a similar manner to players.