questions about rF2 features - AI brake light brightness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backmarker, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

I bought rF2 and lifetime sub about a year ago. I had game/hardware issues that caused me no end to frustration and I stopped playing the game after a few weeks. I revisited the game over the weekend with a clean OS and rF2 b946 install and all seems to be well. :D

I am enjoying the Skip Barber Formula 2000 car at the new sepang track. I am an iracing member and it is interesting to compare the two models even if I do not know if they are based on identical cars. They are quite different, but I am enjoying both cars. In my hands the iracing skip barber tends to oversteer quickly compared to the rF2 version. I find the rF2 version easier to handle and correct any mistakes without spinning out.

I have several questions about the game that I cannot figure out. I searched around the forums but did not find any specific answers. Any help would be appreciated.

I find the AI brake lights to be quite dim. Is there a way to edit the brake light brightness on cars? I did a search and could not find any info.
    Thanks.

1. I noticed the HUD overlay gear indicator does not flash until the engine RPMs hit the rev limiter. Is there an easy way to set the HUD overlay gear indicator to start flashing much sooner (say at the 90% level)? That "bouncing rpm" sound is driving me nuts! :p
    SOLVED! Thanks, John!
    :)

2. AFAICT, we cannot move the HUD overlays? Is this being addressed by ISI so we can move them around in the future?
    SOLVED!

3. Is it possible to Turn off the vehicle mirrors, but keep on the virtual mirrors (that set of 3 mirrors)? When I cycle through the option using the '3' key it will only let me have the virtual mirrors on at the same time with the vehicle mirrors.

4. I am getting some jaggies on the track and weird artifacts with driver helmets even though the graphics are set to max (Nvidia GTX670 card 2GB). Should I be looking for a nvidia inspector profile? will that help with the game graphics?
    Not critical to my enjoyment of rF2 and I can live with a few jaggies

5. What settings are recommended for a fanatec CSW V2 wheel? Overall, the FFB feels good after turning DRI to OFF and from the "optimal FFB thread" I increased the min steering torque from 0.005 to 0.1

current base settings:
    Sen: OFF
    FF: 100
    Sho: 100
    Abs: 85
    Lin: OFF
    Dea: OFF
    Dri: OFF
    For: 100
    Spr: OFF
    Dpr: OFF

in the profiler
    Sen = Value changes to whatever car is currently selected in rF2
    Dampening Strength: 100%

game
    car specific ffb mult = 1.00
    ffb smoothing = 1.00
    min torque setting: 0.01 (only tested on one car and still playing with this feature)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
  2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

Great! please post a pic here of your rFactor2 settings in Nvidia inspector. Thanks!

4. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

great! thanks. I have been spending most my time with the 370z since it does not do this "rpm rev limiter bouncing." Hopefully, I can that bit in your quote to work on my system.

Moving the HUD overlays is not critical, but would be nice to customize the screen layout.

:D

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It isn't all that hard to take one of ISI's HUDs to use as a template and then change the X,Y concordances of the different elements to place it anywhere on the screen and then package it back up with your own name. It's not as easy as drag and drop like in AC. But not as hard as many may thing.

For example, extract this file:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core\HUD\arcadestyle.mas"

And then take a look at this file in notepad:
    ARCADE STYLE HUD.INI

You will see a section like this for the tach:
    Code:
    // tach parameters
    HUDTACH_SCREENXPOS = 0.660000
    HUDTACH_SCREENYPOS = 0.749000
    HUDTACH_SCREENXSIZE = 0.348000
    HUDTACH_SCREENYSIZE = 0.248000

HUDTACH_SCREENXPOS * Screen_Rez_X = X position in pixels

Once you're done editing you just need to rename the INI to something like "My Custom HUD.ini" and then pack all the files back up into a new mas file called "My Custom HUD.mas" and then use MAS2 (Or my tool) to make a HUD component using this mas file.

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

The in depth knowledge on this forum astounds me sometimes ^^^^^ Thanks Noel, I might try this.

7. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

Can anyone help me and get me closer to finding this trackmap files? Apparently this pathway above no longer exists in the install of rF2 b946? :confused:

There are only two rFactor2 folders that I can find on my computer. One in documents and the other under Program Files (x86). Neither of these rFactor2 folders contain this plugin folders. I found a couple of other plugin folders but none of them have this trackmap folder or trackmapconf.txt file. I did a search on the computer using the search feature at the windows startup button and it does not find any trackmapconf.txt file on my computer. thanks.
    :confused:

View attachment 16363

View attachment 16364

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  8. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

I tried the recommendations and do not see any change in image quality. In particular the jaggies on the paint lines. see screenshot below. Is this normal to see jaggies on the white lines and kerbs?

Is is possible I am using the wrong rFactor application file for my nvidia inspector profile? What/where is the rFactor2 file used in nvidia inspector? I chose the "Launch rFactor" file for my profile. thanks
    View attachment 16365

View attachment 16366

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yours looks like rF2 controlled still.

mmmm The NV settings I gave you are what I use.

Like I said still have jags but they are less prevalent.

If you look at Malaysia loader you will see jags in background on white lines too.

P.S. Don't forget can depend on the circuit modelling as well

CLiCK TWiCE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  10. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

Hi,
    I followed your directions in the PM and did not see any change to image quality and still have a lot of jaggies on the white lines (see image). Did you see my post above? I thought we have to associate the nvidia inspector file with an .exe (in this case the exe used to start rF2) so when the game starts up the profile is loaded? what is the .exe file you are using for your profile?
    thanks!
    View attachment 16384

11. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

thanks! I did not need the hud overlay screens to move so I did not look at that link in your part 2 of reply. :p

OK, I did it! Unfrakkinbelievable since I am a spaz with software! All seems to be working for the upshifting indicator after I edited it to flash at 95%. Now I need to research how to operate this amazing plugin.
    :p

Thanks so much, John!!
    :)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

B, you start with a " default" nvidia inspector"

Scroll the list you will find rFactor2( exe)
    Click "apply changes" ( for the heck of it )

Now make changes to AA and Negative LOD bias = clamp

Try different combos of AA

ANY changes you make click "APPLY CHANGES"

The "elevated " profile will be used anytime you start rF2.

[​IMG]

Click the arrow to the right of the "Home" icon you see any elevated profiles.

No need to run Inspector or such but if you wish you can leave it open in background to make more changes ( rather then open/close/open ) yadda

13. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

OK, it looks like I did it correctly. I cannot seem to get rid of the jaggies on the lines, but that is ok. I'll revisit this topic in the future if the jaggies really get to me! haha
    :cool:

14. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

New question
    I find the AI brake lights to be quite dim. Is there a way to edit the brake light brightness on cars? I did a search and could not find any info.
    Thanks.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Lights are mod/car-specific setting that needs repackage of mods to change, in other words you need to change mod version which will make it incompatible with others online.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The only way to get high quality graphics in rF2 (lack of glaringly obvious jaggies), unfortunately, is to use super sampling. On NVIDIA, SGSS works well. There is at least one super-detailed thread already just about NVIDIA optimal settings. Go read it and have fun.

Although you will be very happy with the image quality results of SGSS or regular SS, be prepared for a massive FPS performance hit from using it.