Question about sounds management

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smbrm, May 25, 2012.

1. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I am not sure where to post my question.

I am wondering if we will be able to selectively turn off or turn down certain sounds, or modify the sound file without creating a mod mismatch.

I particularly have a problem with the wind noise sounds. Its just the wrong frequency for me! It is usually way too loud and overpowers other sounds. In rfactor1 you can turn down sound effects, but that turns them all down including skidding which is useful to hear. In rfactor1 you can delete the sound files associated with wind and all is fine. Will we still be able delete sound files without creating mismatches? Or would we have to substitute a wave file with only silence to ensure the same file name is in place for file to prevent mismatches?

Just trying to understand?

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

How loud most SFX sounds are should be editable in the .PLR file, and won't cause mismatches.

Personally I don't think the wind noises aren't in anyway too loud, perhaps not even loud enough. Open-wheel cars have insane wind noise when going fast and even tintops without proper sound dampening tend to suffer from insane howling. In many 80s cars you had to start shouting if you wanted other people to hear you going just motorway speeds, and it gets exponentially worse the faster you go.

3. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I suspect it is all relative. I have been in a 1968 Can Am car and didn't notice that is was overly loud relative to other sounds.
    But sounds take on greater importance in a sim because we don't have inertial feedback. However, the idea of managing in the .plr file provides an option for adjustment. Thanks.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In bold, that and AIW files, Talent files etc....yes I'm repeating myself over and over again, just hope ISI get the message! We need the freedom to edit certain files that wont affect the main core of the Mod and thus wont require a new Mod to be created.