Q2 2023 Release Candidate Update is Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by John Ratcliff, Mar 31, 2023.

1. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

2. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

During the fast rolling start, I noticed the following.
    I start from place 3, mostly!
    the two in front of me drive about 50-100 m away when logging into the rolling start.
    I can't react, only after about 2-3 seconds can I follow, at a distance of 50-100 m.
    this was not the case before the update.
    Tested at LongBeach/Sebring/Brands and Barcelona 2023
    Always the same!

3. Binny

Binny Guest

I know VR does not get much updating but would like to see it have its own section in the full changelog & known issues, would be nice to see what needs fixing and what updates have been done if any.

4. Mauro

Mauro Registered

thanks van osch

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    grudevart and Bernat like this.
  5. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I hope for an improvement in the physics of these cars (I'm thinking of the new tires).

Although that seems unlikely to me.

I wouldn't use these cars any more in the meantime, given that the number of official cars generally up to date at the physics level exceeds 30, I'll be happy with them for the moment.

I still hope for a physics update of the majority of official cars made since 2016.

People will probably still tell me that it's impossible! Impossible is not possible gentlemen.

AlexHeuskat likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

not impossible, but IMPROBABLE

pilAUTO likes this.
  7. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Yes unfortunately it is unlikely!
    And yes "improbable" in french ;)

8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I don't think all the cars need to run on the same tires, specially these historic cars. I don't like everything becoming the same thing just because it's more pleasant, sometimes cars are harsh and unforgiving. There are many types of cars, tires and driving styles. Please, let historics be historics, don't make everything a GT3 car.

Emery, mantasisg and Mauro like this.
  9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

That's not at all what I meant :).

There have been a lot of advances in physics over the past 2 years, which for them to work must be incorporated into the physics of every car.

I am thinking in particular of the many things learned by S397 which can be used to improve the tires of all cars since 2016.

I would like them to do it but it is very unlikely.

On the other hand, I don't want to water down or make the dynamic behavior of historic cars easier :cool:

mantasisg and Mauro like this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

In case of McLaren I agree. In case of March I disagree. I don't remember how the Brabham is, but it was released together with March so it probably is great too as it is.

I think McLaren M23 is different because it was released separately. I wasn't totally happy about MP 4/8 either. So cars from Historic McLaren F1 pack would probably benefit from kicking tires logic a bit up to date. But for example March 761 is fine in my opinion.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Didn't Michael Borda mention in his blog about the tires, wich was about the 70s tires that it's rather difficult to find good data on these old tires? For modern tires as used on all the modern cars in the sim it's propably alot less of an issue. I think the BT44, M23 and 761 allways felt great to drive. It's just a shame that there isn't proper h-pattern modeling for them and that the sound is still quite bad. And aoverall it's a bid of a shame that they haven't released more of these great 70s F1 cars. The guy who did the models had quite a few more of those in the works.

TJones, Mauro and Bernat like this.
  12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

They have more data about modern tires and cars, but that doesn't necessarily mean they know how to improve older cars, unless improving them means making them drive more like modern cars. And I don't see how improving modern cars could make older cars worse. They felt good before and they feel good now, I don't compare them too much to modern cars because they're very different.

I want these cars to have more attention too, and even better that they brought more of them. If they can get more detailed data of older tires and mechanics then I'd like to see them updated with that data but I don't want them to morph into modern cars with old looks. I think we're on the same page about that.

And I also want to thank Gert-Jan van Osch for updating the cars.

Emery and pilAUTO like this.
  13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Please guys, do a physics and tire update to the Formula Renault 3.5, one of the best cars ever in rf2 that never received the importance it deserved..

grudevart, Magus, Kahel and 6 others like this.
  14. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

I don't know what happened with my favourite sim but I am offcially done with it becouse I don't know what system specs I need to run against 19 AI and all of them visible to have normal race. Going below 60 fps on Daytona, Algarve is ridiculous with i5-9600k, 32 gb ram and rtx 4070.
    I am so sad becouse I updated my system mostly to enjoy rFactor 2 bit this is so bad. Got almost x3 fps on other sim titles but not on my beloved one. I think I should look elswere until sim is accomodated to work properly on today's standards.

15. Herve_Versabeau

Herve_Versabeau Registered

your system is not balanced
    i5-9600k too weak with your 4070.
    personally i have no problem with i5-12600k and rtx 3080fe

16. darkojovanoski1986

Yeah I have around 20% bottleneck but this is not that much if you see recomended system requirements. Again all other sim titles I see x3 fps even on AC which is almost 10 years old even with csp and sol at max. But rFactor has some strange stuff in it, need optimising a lot!

17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Some strange stuff = best physics simulation.

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Data is a bit overrated. It is very important, and extremely helpful. But the most important thing is having an eye and logic for how they should approximately work and behave. Also there are some things that are common for all tires through history, basic principles of operation are same for all of them. On tarmac through all of the history tires behaved like tires on tarmac do - static friction is much better than sliding friction. It is just that tires becoming stiffer and greater at static friction made them relatively less controllable at sliding, racing tires since 70s probably weren't as much improved as they were optimized for some exact way they are meant to be used, on exact kind of surface, at exact temperature, basically all windows just got narrower, more specific. 60s race tire was good in all conditions, they worked well in great range of temperatures and were very durable, they sometimes just changed to narrower tires for heavy rain. I suppose if in 60s you'd tell someone to do a tire that has surface as soft as bubble gum, just to keep changing it each 30km, they would just tell that you are a fool, but now it is how racing works. And then also insane influence of aero made the cars even more dependable on staying "on rails". It just begun in early 70s, but it was already set on the modern path although they were still cars and tires were still rational. Downforce + slicks changed everything. And if some fast guy from Goodwood revival tells that old crossply tires feels like driving on gravel it isn't very accurate, perhaps if gravel is very compacted and smooth :D

19. Bernat

Bernat Registered

rFactor 2 physics simulation is based on data. That's why it's more dynamic and accurate than those based on aproximations made by eye or logic. So data isn't overrated when it comes to rFactor 2 but it might be the case for other sims.

20. darkojovanoski1986

I agree about best physics part but it seems only high end pc can handle this sim. With system specs I posted I can't go below 60fps on ACC on epic preset with 23 ai cars on all weather conditions and we all know how heavy is actually ACC on the system. From other posts on the forums I see other users have issues with fps also on even better systems than mine.
    To be precise single core speed is not what we need, S397 changed that to use more cores so that is not the issue anymore. We needed more VRAM, I guess 12gb vram is more than enough for any track in game becouse if you exceed that fps will go down, so that is not the case. If physics cannot run on recomended specs which my pc exceeds than I don't know why they are even mentioned.