Put your VR settings here !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pilAUTO, Mar 1, 2023.

1. EricW

EricW Registered

You need to install the system wide open composite or the game specific one.
    For the game specific one, the OpenVR.dll needs to go in the bin64 directory of your RF2 install.
    Which HMD are you using?
    When it's a WMR HMD like a Reverb you should use WMR openXR runtime from the Microsoft apps instead of steamVR.
    (Straightforward routing)
    If it's a native SteamVR HMD, you only need to replace the DLL.

2. GGuthrey

GGuthrey Registered

Ok thank you for explaining that.
    I'm running HP Reverb

3. EricW

EricW Registered

No problem.
    The Hp Reverb is a WMR device which benefits most from the OpenXR performance boost when you bypass steamVR completely.
    The downside of this is that you can't use overlay applications like racelabapps etc.
    The raw openXR runtime environment does not support it yet.

4. GGuthrey

GGuthrey Registered

There's also a way of running open XR toolkit (just the application)
    through steam VR ?
    It was a while ago but I do remember messing around with the run time in the development section of steam VR
    I'm sure I've done that in the pass with the iracing and being able to use the overlays with it.

5. EricW

EricW Registered

True,
    When you use steamVR as the openXR runtime instead of the WMR openXR toolkit.
    The overlays are then forked in by steam openVR.
    But essentially with that routing you loose the performance benefit completely as the Reverb is not a native SteamVR HMD.

6. GGuthrey

GGuthrey Registered

Thanks Eric for clearing that up for me.
    I'm running 7800x3d, 3080
    My CPU frame time is running at 2-3 and GPU running at 8-10
    I'm hoping the performance benefit will really help my GPU.
    As it's not the smoothest gameplay right now

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

OpenXR toolkit is an essential tool for me, I started using it in MSFS when it first released and for that Sim it's been an absolute game changer, for racing sims it's helps loads too (especially AMS2). When the next RF2 update gets pushed (with AI fixes that I'm waiting for...) I'll come back and post my settings.

8. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

hello. looking for help

I am testing a RTX4070 right now on my rig, coming from AMD6950XT running Opencomposite on a QUEST2 and did not have any issue. Really smooth 90fps experience for most of the time.

now whenever I try to launch the Game in Steam (not steamvr) I am getting this error.

Do people here know what that means?

Do I need to reinstall opencomposite or edit some config files with the new GPU now?
    upload_2023-7-16_20-19-30.png

I could launch the Game in STEAMVR but the perfs are a disaster, barely reaching 45fps which is obviously not quite right.

I am not having a great NVIDIA VR experience right now so I am obviously doing something wrong, advice appreciated

thanks a lot

9. Radkappe

Radkappe Registered

I think you are on the system wide install of opencomosite, right? if so i quote here jabbah's comment:

Jabbah — 06.06.2022 13:12
    Every time SteamVR gets updated (with OpenComposite using system wide install) all games revert to using SteamVR again instead of OpenComposite. Loading OC and switching back and forth between SteamVR and OC doesn't help. What I have to do is close down SteamVR and Steam, making sure it isn't still running in the tray. Then run OpenComposite, switch to SteamVR and back to OpenComposite, then restart Steam. Steam will then show an error about OpenComposite and app type 6 not being supported. Click ok on that. Steam will close. Restart Steam again and all is now ok.

May be this is what you have too ...