Puntures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rayo_McQueen, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Rayo_McQueen

Rayo_McQueen Registered

I remember having read something related to punctures (correct me if I'm wrong). It was something like after the launch they would implement punctures, but I am not sure.

Anyway, I would like to ask if the punctures will exist in rFactor 2 and I don't refer to aleatory punctures (I believe that they are not necessary), I refer to, for example, when the front wing of a car hits the wheel of another and have a cut (those cases almost always end up in puncture).

Thanks and sorry for my english.

2. blaknift

blaknift Registered

English is pretty good man, And thats a good question. Cant wait to hear an answer. I would imagine that it would be way easier to program punctures from contact than a puncture from running over debris for example. Perhaps the tyres could have their own collision model.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, full deformation of the tire is in the works but that (and some other things) won't make it into the beta early on.

4. Rayo_McQueen

Rayo_McQueen Registered

Thank you, of course, it supposed that it would not be in the version Beta.

I want to ask another question, but I think that it is better to open a new topic, for the good organization of the forum.

5. navorsky

navorsky Registered

One of the things that i´m most impressed about, is the tyre physics. Really, punctures would make a TOTAL difference in online races. People would actually think before attempting crazy undertakes...

6. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

Hopefully there's permanent damage to tyres if you flatspot and maybe a slight vibration through the wheel also. Random punctures would also be pretty cool though, as long as they did'nt happen too often to me :D

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Hell no to random punctures. I'm in favor of punctures if they have a cause (running over debris or something), but random is a no-no.

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Random punctures would be fun if they were switchable, I think it adds to the excitement if your car can crap out, especially in a way that might end violently.

9. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Random punctures and random mechanical failures would make long races interesting.

10. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yes. One of my most memorable races was in GP2, full race distance at Aida. On lap 82 of 83, with a 50 second lead, my transmission failed at the third last corner. Luckily it was partly downhill giving me enough momentum to coast into the pits; transmission fixed, stormed back out to scrap in front of the 2nd placed car and won by just 1 second.

11. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I hope the tire cpmpletley starts ripping apart and damage the fenders And then you can see it flapping around from in the cab!

12. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That's the dream. I love the idea that one day we'll have a sim where the car needs to be treated with respect and has all its real life fragilities - crumpling suspension, ripping, shredding tyres and cracking, denting bodywork... one of the most fun races I've been involved in I was cheated out of my best result in the league I was driving in by an engine failure about three laps from the end. To my mind, immersed in the race as I was it was frustrating but believable drama and really added to the experience once I'd parked the car grudgingly and finished complaining over the chat.

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I'm really not sure I want to drive 20 hours just so that the game can at some point decide, with no reason whatsoever, that the engine has to blow up right now.

I'm all for mechanical failures and punctures provided there's some sort of logic behind them, like an small crash early on in the race leading to vibrations that slowly mess up the driveline which then gives out at some point. If my engine blows up or I get a puncture just because a random generator pulled a particular number out of it's ass, that's another story altogether...

14. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

That sort of stuff is great, and immersive. With a random system it wouldn't matter how much you baby your car though, it could always go wrong "just because". A damage system that makes you drive and treat the car carefully is a good thing though.

15. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Random failures do happen though - manufacturing faults, material impurities, installation errors and good old fashioned obscure software bugs. Did you know Mika Hakkinen retired from the 1998 San Marino Grand Prix because a part from a Mercedes road car was accidentally installed in his gearbox?

Sometimes it's not much you can really help too, I remember one race at the A1 ring where the Prosts retired with an engine failure caused by brief over-revving as the rear wheels left the ground over a bump.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Where are we on this front with regards to punctures?

Thinking about it I've never had a Mechanical Failure in RF2, I've got the option set to Normal so maybe need to whack it up, anyone else had proper Mechanical Failures? am I missing out? or do they simply not exist?

17. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

they do in devmode...ive been stuck in 4th gear...not sure about the normal modes

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

At least there's engine failures (is this mechanical failure?). And I remember one time somebody had brake failure.

But really looking foward to punctures, would make tyre saving driving style even more significant.

19. Jani_76

Jani_76 Registered

Yes TIG you remember correctly, I had brake failure with FISI. Track was Palm Beach and I think it was a 15min race and it happens end of the race on that long straight and when I hit the brake the car start turn right and I think that maybe tire has damaged. I didn't know that it was even possible to lost only one brake. I check the brake temperatures and left front brake was 0 and others was normal. It really surprise me and was really cool thing.:cool:

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

cheers guys, I'll turn it up a setting or two next time ad hopefully something happens....or should that be hopefully not!?! haha :p