Proper rain animations Please

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by PRC Steve, Apr 25, 2015.

1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I just stumbled across a rain mod for RFACTOR ONE. How can the rain look better, the spray look better, the sim have rain on windscreens, and get droplets on the ground etc and over 10 years later in RFACTOR TWO we have none of these yet.
    Its a wip and not released but come on, we should have at least this by now.

2. msportdan

msportdan Banned

must admit I just installed the great weather mod for rf2, and I was thinking this badly need some good rain effects. Having just played pcars, the fear of driving in the rAIN REPRESENTED visually is just not there in rf2. I would say this is a priority in rf2 over any new content as it kills the immersion and need for wet weather. Having said that the physics outweight the immersion but all the same... :)

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Weather effects in pCARS is great though still needs work on tyre spray and fine particles and get rid of those rain smudges on half the lenses. hehehe

SMS head has hinted at pCARS2 already and said to expect further info after pCARS release.
    DX12 would further improve GPU workloads, better Mantle performance, yadda........

Mere speculation but I think they have seen the error in not making physics more primary.

Why ISI don't have major investors I can't fathom.

Only remains to be seen who is last to jump and leave DX9 behind, iRacing or ISI.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

durge

hiya -do you gave pcars ? how's the ffb/physics ? ( compared to rf2 )

I'm not buying any other title without first trying a demo after getting my fingers burnt with AC

5. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I not the best one to ask about FFB I tend to have it all over the place
    rF2 I like best of the 3.

Physics it is like AC for me, if you drive pCARS cars "within limits" like say a track day they can feel okay to very good as does the FFB.

When you push harder both AC and pCARS seriously I don't feel the tyres underneath me.

If you took all the best of rF2 and put the leftovers of pCARS you would have a great sim imho.
    ( assuming ISI engine/physics would translate to DX11-12)

That is what I am hoping rF3 is and not too long after they finish pCARS2. ( yes pCARS2 and they just announced Nords licence. )

Mod Free: I like that about iRacing/pCARS ( no hassle)

I love mods but I can use them in other sims.

I will be signing up first thing for pCARS2 too, just hope they can up the physics game.

Apparently Codies saw the error of the ways with F1 2014 and say 2015 is much better ( but we heard that before too )

ISI need to do the opposite, all they need is the eye candy that brings in honeybees = more resources

It is okay for hardcore simmers to say the GFX are fine, that will never make ISI more popular.

If I had a second sim to muck around with when bored waiting for players in rF2 room .......it would be pCARS.

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Despite driving pCars over and over and wanting to like it and seeing it improve I simply cannot recommend it as anything other than Forza killer. That is not to say that physics are not better than Forza but Durge is spot on regarding not feeling the wheels. One thing I WILL say is that at least some pCars vehicles fight some rotation techniques less than AC which IMO is a major flaw in AC physics. I'll also say that my impression of pCars is that there is much less physics detail.

Neither of these titles is in the same universe as rF2 so you should ask yourself why you are needing another sim. Perhaps going deeper into rF2 is a better choice although everyone has his reasons.

Last thing about pCars is all the game elements seem OK for people who need that but it disturbs me somewhat that as a more serious and independent sim racer I don't even know how/whether I can analyze my results, I.e. Laps, sectors, gaps, ANYTHING which is a 100% deal breaker for me because data is the output of what I do when I race so if I don't have the output then why race? Even if that is/becomes possible the lack of physics detail is a killer for me anyway and I never spend more than 30 minutes or so driving it whenever I do because of that but if I had stats maybe I would be motivated to push harder and then might discover something worthwhile but I doubt it.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Besides the fact that rF2 rain-visuals are horrible or simply not there, I can´t see much advantages in this vid.
    I can resign this rain-"drops" that blops up regulary on the windscreen. Or I say it like this: Do it at least like in pCars, or let it be....
    Rainspray is not really to be seen on this video.
    I for one don´t want the things to be seen there in rF2.

First step would be to introduce some proper rainspray!
    Some time ago I drove with my mate in private room where he droves behind me and asked "why is your car smoking? Engine overheat?"
    I have to say: "No, this should be rainspray...ugh"
    But I for one don´t hold my breath for anything rF2 related anymore,- in five years when pCars 2 gone gold we maybe have raindrops and such....

I wonder why ISI even doesn´t try to reduce the "horrorbility" of some things by tweaking them to a reasonable amount as long as they didn´t replaced it!
    Would be a 20 sec coding thing to at least dump down the actual "rainspray" to a amount that is somewhat realistic!
    Cars barely produce any at speeds of 60 km/h, or even at 80-100. Checked it at times with rF2 in mind on the Autobahn.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I agree mate although I can't say for coding and such.

Last night I did some wet shots of pCars, Lemans night LMP1, from in car perspective the immersion is pretty overwhelming, all I could think of is " .........if this had rF2 engine.....oh my " lool

I miss the old days of the GTL/GTR/Race and too a lesser extent rF, the familiarity in feel and cross over modding success with improvements in physics and cars from dedicated modders translated well.

Did I just say I rather ISI did engines for AC and pCars. :p

Or is someone going to tell me they don't have enough staff to do that either. :rolleyes:

Or is it Kunos and SMS would lose subscribers because it was too hard to drive. :rolleyes:

hehehe ;)

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Personally I'm pretty content with rfactor 2 as a whole. But let me clarify that.

Here there is a base for pretty much everything one would need from a sim, that I can think of.

Knowing the base is there to build on and that ISI are showing no signs of slowing or stopping their development to me is the most encouraging thing.

AC is limited with what it can do and always will be due to engine limitations, iracing is striving for everything we have here but they don't have a lot and to get it are having to extensively re write core code. PCars while apparently pleasant in all aspects seemingly lacks "full sim" depth and fidelity. Race room is great for a bit of fun but still behind. Game stock car is brilliant but lacks a lot of what's here.....

The only thing that's ever......worried me here is that due to development constraints, ie the size of the team, is that other sims may catch up, iracing namely.

I think the things we want will come in time. Better graphical and simulated rain stuffs, VR support when it's deemed ready to support and anything else.

There is a lot we rightly want improved but I feel sure isi will deliver, eventually. I just like contrasting what we do have over what we don't.

Ever the optimist.

11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

That is what I was wishing for, but the thread has gone off on a complete tangent like every other thread.
    If a modder or even ISI released something like the faked rain on windscreen, little splash pools on the reflected standing water and improved spray, just like the video, I think everyone would jump all over it and it would be a vast improvement on the very poorly implemented and graphically poor effects we have now.

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I'm almost sure when someone mentioned the background on the new UI Tim made a comment about things being worked on behind the scenes.

I'm sure there are many things in the pipeline, even in development that we will love but they don't want the hype train to start too early.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Agreed. The 2010 WIP shots are still better than what we have today and include things that aren't implemented in the game.