Problems with hosting rFactor 2 server

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by maatriks, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

First thing I would check is that your ports are actually being forwarded to your server.
    There is a nice little program here that will do it for you...

http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

2. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

where is the configfile located?

3. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

If your ports are all set and forwarded to the correct machine and all, I would definitely check firewalls and especially AV programs. The latter will muddle things up.

I'm assuming you have the ports. I think they are slightly different than with rFactor 1. Take a look in your player ini file to see what you need.

PM me if you need a little assistance. I know I had trouble, until I dumped AVG, which was like freakin' out my system.

There is a small, itty-bitty program called TCPView which will tell you, also, what ports the dedi is listening on, etc.

Alan

4. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

I've just been fiddling about with settings online .I set up a sever and tried to join ,got the server fail option .Then i ticked the local connection button on the bottom left and it let me in .
    @bluenoes can you look for worthy1066 test server and see if you can jion with or without local connection ticked since i know your up coz I live in Manchester myself lol

cheers

5. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

That is a LAN connection, machine to machine. That way will pretty much work all the time. Someone from another area will not be able to connect WAN if the ports ain't right, though you would be able to connect through LAN quite easily.

Alan

6. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

the only reason I said that was because i tried connecting to a sever i couldnt earlier on and was able to while having that lan connection highlighted......clutching at straws at the moment

7. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I server other than your own? A WAN connection? That's interesting.

Alan

8. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

thats what i thought

9. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

where is the config-file?/ how do i know the port my game uses?

10. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I use XP, so it's ../my documents/rFactor2/userdata/player

You'll find the multiplayer.ini in there. Not sure with Win7: do a search on file.

Alan

11. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

12. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Hi let me try and help some people here with hosting I have quite a lot of experience more so with hosting from your home the first program I will tell you to get its free is called SIW once installed start your rf2 server wait a few mins then start your SIW then click at the top open ports shortcut in SIW, then a list will come up click on the progs to put them in order and you will see the rf2 server running, what you look for in the list as there will be a few different lines with rf2 the reading from left to right on each column it tells you the local port rf2 is using and whether its open or closed you must use that local port mine is 192.168.0.2 so I went to my router and used dmz for that local ip for rf2 restarted my router and then restarted rf2 server then SIW and now I see that port is open make all open this way and people will be able to join your server :)

13. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

BasJon, thank you very much. It was very helpful for me

14. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Sorry for ressurecting an old thread but I am having no luck setting up a server for build 156. I have port forwarded 44297, 54297 and 54347. Checked ports are open via FPPortCheck util to make sure both TCP and UDP are accessible externally via these ports. I have added rfactor2 and server exes to win7 firewall with both internal and external access ticked.

My server turns up in the server list but I cannot connect to it without ticking LAN option. Obviously if I can't connect without LAN option ticked, then no-one else can either.

I have tried just about everything I can think of. Even temporarily disabled firewalls, virus checker and tried DMZ. No luck. Are there any other tips doing the rounds?

15. Diablo

Diablo Registered

FWIW, you don´t need port 44297. This post conatins a generalized list of ports and which protocols they are. Check your Multiplayer.ini to see, which numbers are in use.
    But since putting the server in the DMZ and disabling the firewall also does not help, I suspect a problem with forwarding to the wrong IP address.
    I think first of all, you should make a backup of and then delete the UserData\player folder, to make sure you use the default settings, and the4n try again.
    If it still does not work, check your local/private IP address and compare it to the entries in your router for port forwardings. Also, some routers need to be restarted to put changes to firewall and port mappings into effect.

Cheers,
    Marcus

P.S.: Disabling a personal firewall program can have the opposite effect as one expects. There could be security setting that causes the network interface to be locked down, when the Firewall gets disabled.

16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Thanks for the response. As it turns out, I have to connect with Local connection, but remote clients can still connect. I wasn't using local connection so I could test that remote clients would be able to connect. Guess it doesn't work that way. Anyway, all good. Cheers

17. Spadge

Spadge Registered

???

18. 3lrsc

3lrsc Registered