Problem: rfactor 2 Detect Full RAM?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drako90, Aug 29, 2012.

1. drako90

drako90 Registered

sorry for my English, I used the translator.

Hi, I'm Drako90, and I have a little problem with the rfactor2 and RAM.

I have an AMD with 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz gskills and graphics is a ATI 5770 1gb.
    Well, the screen where you have to put resolution, language, HDR, FXAA, and stuff,
    rfactor2 puts the wrong amount of memory used by the graphics, it puts in 747mb,
    and that can not be because of two things:
    1) the graphic card is to 1GB GDDR5.
    2) i have 8gb and a 64bit system, system information windows7
    says clearly, 8gb system RAM, graphics memory available 4863mb

As I said the information Windows gives everything right. i think is rfactor2.
    and worse is rfactor1, that says I have 0GB of ram.

before putting pictures, I have to say that my father did the test, and it has been the same result.
    He has a Intel i7, 10gb kingston and an ATI 6000series 2GB
    as I say, the same problem, it detects 10gb of ram, but gives 2gb graphics, when I should give more.

Photos of my rfactor2 and PC: (Windows seven 64bit)
    View attachment 3763 View attachment 3764

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Hey,

it's not a rF2 problem but a 64bit OS problem....and it's a know issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2026022

Unfortunately there is no fix for this problem in W7...but windows 8 64bit seems to work correctly with Vram.

BTW ISI said this problem do not affect the game...but imho this is not 100% true as it affect the video ram available during the game. Infact, if you start the game in a 32bit OS you'll see different available vram values....:)

PS: we've already talked about this here;

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6465-frustrated-by-specs-required?p=80546&viewfull=1#post80546

1 person likes this.
  3. drako90

drako90 Registered

Thanks for reply :)
    i used the "dxdiag" in windows7 64bits and the memory used for the graphic card is 747mb
    (problem mentioned in mi first message)

OK... now, I installed Windows8 64bit in my second partition and i used "dxdiag"
    the result is: works correctly.
    My ATI 5770 1gb now use 4008mb, and ofcourse, rfactor2 now detected the vram perfect.

But, I play the game (rfactor2) and the FPS is the same (i think)

Sorry for my super english (traductor)

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Hmm.
    I'm using W7 64bit with 16GB of RAM (with swap disabled) and GTX680 2GB
    DXdiag as well as rf2 config shows 4GB of RAM allocated for video

5. drako90

drako90 Registered

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

They did say that the game doesn't actually do anything with those figures though.

7. osella

osella Registered

I can also confirm that these RAM readings have no impact whatsover in rf1, so I figure its the same in rf2, for a long time I thought it did have some effects when loading huge grids but it was all placebo, all that matters is your actual RAM/VRAM not these numbers.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Lots of games read that incorrectly (such as GTA4 with me). I think it's to do with the info being pulled from Windows being incorrect, as it happens so often.

9. MrPix

MrPix Registered

+1 ... the proof of the pudding....

My video ram is reported by rF2 as 1721MB.

I have 4096MB of Video RAM on the card.

If I pump up the AA to level 8 and run HDR, I am using 2771MB

..so all these theories that you can only use what is reported... are bolony... the game doesn't seem to use the max reported for anything apart from echoing what it 'thinks' you have based on the parameter passed to it by the OS...

ArmA2 suffers the same so it must be grabbing the same variable as rF2, has no effect there either :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think you mislead 'available' memory and 'used' memory.
    Available memory should be shown before running game (for example in rf config). You can force to change it using some tweaking software, but then restart is needed to apply changes (as far as I remember)

11. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I have changed my wording so you can understand what I am writing. Actually, I'd be suprised if the video ram was being used by anything other than the game once playing in full screen mode... what else could be using video ram?... so it's completely irrelevant what is in use before going to full screen in game and loading the track and starting to race. If the card has 4096MB on it, then that IS what is available for the game to use from the Graphic card!

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is not true. VRAM may contain (and usually does) both RAMs: the one build on gfx card and some part of system RAM. But I don't know how much system memory is allocated for vram in case of 4GB gfx card. I have 2GB gfx card and additional 2 GB are ready to use as part vram (4GB in total)

13. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Why do you have to argue every post I make lol?

OK.. have reworded it... geez

Are you actually referring to directx9 and it's need to reflect/mirror the VRAM into system RAM, this is a different issue I believe.... or maybe the OS'es need to use system RAM for Aero? (when not in game obviously)

I will test it out by using 2771MB from the card (reported my MSI directly polling the GFX card, so absolutely no system RAM in this figure (AA @ Level 8 + HDR on Mills in the Megane) and see if my system ram useage increases by a similar amount.

14. osella

osella Registered

I vaguely remember something like that being true but don't see how relevant it is to this topic. Again it sounds like you want to argue over something pointless, can't help it.

Bottomline is, even if you set your rfconfig to read 0MB RAM and VRAM, rf1+2 works exactly as well as when it is set to correct numbers.

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

This is true.

GTL, GTR2, Race07, rF1...... they ALL get the system numbers wrong and setting them to correct values seems to make no difference.

16. Tuttle

Changing manually the config.ini does not change anything but my personal experience said the wrong memory diagnosis can affect the real memory available during the game.

With rF1 in a 32bit OS I've more vram available (I checked with both CTRL+F and Afterburner).

I'm not asking to trust me but this is what happen with me and I can prove it when you want...:)

17. osella

osella Registered

Hmm but what happens when we run the config to redetect? It reads the values from somewhere and saves them to the .ini. Nothing else happens imo. So it should be the same as when we edit the config manually.

Btw my config reads SystemRAM=0, VideoRAM=2804 lol and I didn't change it manually (correct would be 8192 and 1024 for my pc).

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I'm on Win8. Mine shows the correct system RAM (16GB), but it shows 4GB for VRAM when I only have 1GB.

19. osella

osella Registered

I run W7 64bit btw.

^Those numbers are rf1 from months ago; my rf2 config reads correct system RAM (8192) like buddha, but VRAM only shows 747 (really strange number).

20. Tuttle

As already said something happens as I get different INGAME values using 32bit OS. I'm not sure where the config.ini take those values, but I guess it's calling for a sort of dxdiag or something like that....

Furthermore this is what the official Microsoft bug said about the issue;

"You run the Direct-X Diagnostics tool, and it reports that you have an unexpectedly low amount of Approximate Total Memory on the display tab.

You may also see issues with some games or applications not allowing you to select the highest detail settings."