Private multi-player racing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davedontmind, Jul 27, 2013.

1. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

My friend is considering buying rF2 so that we can mess around with a bit of racing.

How do we go about setting up a multiplayer game for just the two of us? In rF1 it was pretty straightforward, but I can't see how it works in rF2. All I can see is a list of public servers I can join.

Is there some separate software required to host a game, or am I missing something?

UPDATE: It seems I was missing the "Host" button on the launcher. D'oh! You'd think the multi-player options would be together.

Supplemental question: does the $12/yr online service charge affect the ability for me to host a game and my friend to join it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013
  2. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Dedicated server is a part of rF2, it even works without paying. One of you can host dedicated server with password that only you two will know. Start rF2 launcher and press "Host" button.

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

you are maybe able to host without having paid the online fee but you can join the server yourself then. Set the server private by setting a password that only you two know.

4. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

But my friend still has to pay the $12/yr if all he ever does online is join my hosted game? That is rather annoying. I know it's not a huge fee, but when it's just a private "party" it seems rather excessive to have an additional fee on top of the cost of the game.

5. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I think even a hoster joining his own server has to pay yearly fee or have lifetime license to be able to connect. It may still count as connecting through ISI server-checks. It would be good to have confirmation from ISI on this.

Actually I think "Online" option will not be available at all without yearly fee or lifetime license.