Poor performance with open composite

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oldgamergazza, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

My pc ran very well for the last couple of weeks using Open composite in my Oculus Quest 3, today it wont run smoothly, I did have 10% + headroom now I am gpu bottlenecked, any one else having this issue?
    I know there was small update through Steam, and the graphics card had a driver update.

2. Magus

Magus Registered

Yes having the same issue, GPU being bottled at around 60% usage and frames have tanked. I'm using a HP Reverb G1v2.

3. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

My pc is OK again, I uninstalled the Gpu driver with ddu and reinstalled, but I had downloaded a couple of new LMP cars from the workshop, unsure if they are the cause but they really hit my pc hard and I still get bottle necking of my gpu.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

You are always going to have either a CPU or GPU bottleneck. No game exists where the two are in perfect balance.

Oldgamergazza likes this.
  5. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

True, I always try to leave a little headroom tho.

6. Danny Wilde

Danny Wilde Registered

Are the Cars the Ferrari 499p and Porsche 963 from Advanced Simulation? This Cars decrease my Performance until 40%.

7. Magus

Magus Registered

I've been running rf2 in vr @ 90hz using the same settings for over a year. Something has changed now that where the gpu is bottlenecked. I've tried updating BIOS, GPU drivers uninstall/install, file integrity check and am still at a loss why it's being bottle necked. Only other possibility is w11 update.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  8. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

Yes, those are the ones, that’s interesting.

9. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

I think its because they have new super high res textures since their updates or something…

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes, for some reason, the modders felt using 8k textures would be a good thing. The original standard was 2k, then increased over the years to 4k. But 8k is REALLY punishing some systems.

11. Danny Wilde

Danny Wilde Registered

Why 8k textures when 4k looks amazing.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have NO idea, other than perhaps, these cars are test subjects for LMU and are being used to guage performance.

13. Magus

Magus Registered

So I got this fixed. Oddly enough, after my last W11 update I went and switched off all the Gaming enhancement options in the settings. I was not sure at what point (or which update) had switched these back on.

I was always under the impression that these should be off for better VR performance. It seems (for me anyway) now the opposite of this is true. Switching them on, I no longer have the GPU bottlenecked in rF2.

14. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Maybe he was using 8k textures while working on the skins to make aligning the various layers easier and forgot to reduce them down to 4k before packing as a mas file. I personally reduced them down to 4k and repacked them. Laurent Leceurs has recently posted some skins and they are also 8k. 8k skins are a big hit on vram usage and performance.

15. Danny Wilde

Danny Wilde Registered

I downloaded all skins from Laurent Leceurs. But in a test with the GTE cars 32 pieces I didn't have any FPS loss.

But with the Ferrari 499P and the Porsche 963 the FPS drops massively.

16. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

The Laurent Leceurs skins are definitely 8k I just downloaded and checked. There must be something else going on with the Ferrari and Porsche. Did you use the same track and number of cars and conditions for each test, if you used 32 Ferrari and Porsche that's a lot of vram used where as with the GTE cars you may have only had few of the 8k skins which wouldn't use so much vram.

17. Danny Wilde

Danny Wilde Registered

It's definitely the Ferrari 499P and the Porsche.

All I have to do is start a race with five of these cars and the fps drops enormously.