Poor performance with a Radeon 6800XT

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Antonello Mitrano, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Antonello Mitrano

Antonello Mitrano Registered

HELP !!!!
    I'm having a noticeable drop in performance going from a Geforce RTX3070 to a Radeon 6800 XT: same settings. How is that possible?
    I would have expected quite the opposite performance (I mean Radeon 6800 XT performing much more than NVIDIA Geforce Rtx 3070).
    The first image refers to the RTX 3070 performance, the second to the 6800 XT.
    As you can see, the Radeon performance is worse, as the card generates fewer frames (about 30% loss) than the RTX. Monitor resolution 3440 x 1440. Sebring at night with 50 cars. Intel i5 9600K at 5Ghz, 16 gb Ram.
    In VR, with the Hp reverb G2, things are even worse (running with 30-35 fps) !!!! What did I do wrong?
    Is the radeon a graphics card not optimized for rfactor or did I do something wrong?
    Anyone here with a Radeon? Would you suggest any settings for rfactor2?
    Thansk a lot!
    rtx.jpg radeon.jpg

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would be surprised if AMD even knows rFactor2 exists, let alone is optimizing for this title specifically. Similarly, I doubt S397 codes their graphic engine to meet every new card that is released. The drivers for the card are very new from what I've read. I would first make sure you are not over-clocking the card, then you may have to make changes in-game to improve your performance. Two of the biggest changes can be reducing shadows and turning off rain particles.(improves fps even on sunny days)
    Keep us informed with your progress with this cards, I would imagine there are many users who might like to see more information of the AMD card with rF2.

3. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I'm pretty sure @Remco Majoor has this video card and uses VR (not sure which headset). Maybe he can offer some suggestions.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I use a 6800xt indeed with the index. I run it at 90hz though, since the change between different frame rates is really noticable and distracting.

Last vec race I ran both medium and low (due to low framerates), but it didn't seem to do any different. This is with a full field of cars though. In the comp system I can run high settings with low pp.

What kind of performance do you get out of a 3070?

5. Kahel

Kahel Registered

If you didn't use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) when you switched from the 3070 to the 6800xt... you might want to try it, alongside basic test on other games just to make sure it's only an rf2 issue.

Good luck finding out the issue... that's very disappointing performance otherwise.

6. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Cant talk about radeon, but connected.
    How many visible cars do you have? If you have 50, im pretty sure that will kill it. I find with anything more than around 12 visible FPS drops rapidly. Thats with a 3080 and a g2
    When lower than 12, I can have most other settings on mid to high values depending on track etc

7. Antonello Mitrano

I made both tests with 15 visible cars. Same settings for both tests. Did not change anything.

With a RTX 3070, depending on the track, in VR i usually run with 10 to 15 visible cars.
    On steam VR, resolution per eye 3152 x 3088 (100%) and from 60% to 80% per-application video settings, motion smoothing desabled, reprojection disabled.
    Running steady smooth with 90 fps with RTX 3070

Andy Bonar likes this.
  8. Antonello Mitrano

Yes, I used DDU

9. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

The only thing i do differently to that is run steam vr at 100% for both main res and per app video. I do lock it to 45fps though, as I dont see much difference between 45 and 90.
    Doesnt really answer your question for the 6800 though

10. bester

bester Registered

jump from a 1080ti to a 6800XT few weeks ago (cpu amd 5800). Work like a charm with a reverb2 at 60 IPS, 100% in steamvr settings, 60Hz in VR windows setting and high settings in rfactor. The 60hz setting was horrible with the 1080 but with the 6800xt i don't see any diference with 90 hz ! Try it ! I'd never seen Rfactor VR without stutter before, it's now a pleasure. :)

11. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Just stopped by to say that I get a 6900XT myself, to pair with a 5800x, and what pleasure to play at 7680x1440x60hz with 4x AA, everything maxed out, with 30+ cars and 60fps all the time without any stutter.

I saw this thread before buy the GPU and became afraid, but there's no reason for that. ;)

rFactor 2 was already the best sim, but now its even better! LOL (I come from a 1080TI)

Have a nice week :cool: