POLL - rain physics improvement for 2018, including aquaplanning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dadaboomda, Dec 17, 2017.

?

Prioritize the improvement of the realism of rain physics and aquaplanning FOR 2018 ?

1. TOP - Essential for me (2018)

2. That is really important (2018)

3. I would like it (2018)

4. Why not, but not really my priority (2018)

5. I don't want it for 2018

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I speak about physics/alorythm/realism of WET TRACK (and rain).
    Not about the december release which focuse on graphics/visuals.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Serious? The rain update is not even released. lol

aguy0523 likes this.
  3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

weather improvements are always welcome.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Asking for the improvement to features even before those features are properly released o_O Just wait for the next Build to be released then see if any improvements are needed.

Ernie and aguy0523 like this.
  5. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Upcoming improvements are, to my knowledge, almost exclusively or totally graphic and visual improvements.

Unless we have a surprise ...

In RF2 we have a global realism above other simulations and much more realistic : physics car / FFB, official car content, realroad, different algorithms, day-to-night transition ...

...but the realism of the rain remains very indented. Have you already tried 350 km / h in slick tire on ultra wet track... I don't say that is 0% realistic, juste indented.

I do not know you, but all my races have between 20 and 40% of rain more or less intensive, so between 30 and 50% of the race at least partially wet.

I think that having a realism equivalent to the dry for when even 30 to 50% of play time during which the track is at least partially wet is a fair request.

Rui Santos likes this.
  6. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Agree, wet physics need a look, i doubt they will make it look better and "feel" the same, as it's a feature that makes all the difference, and with the best physics around, they really need to have a look at wet ones... i see people requesting this since the begginning!

7. dylbie

dylbie Registered

How can we answer a question about something we haven't even tried yet?

8. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

With all due respect, you did not understand ;) :

The release on the rain will focus on graphics and visuals !

That's what was announced in all.

My question and the poll relate to :

- Realism for wet track
    - Physics and rain/wet track algorithms
    - Aquaplaning.

I hope I have clarified things !

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Correct. Basically rain in rF2 today means lower tire grip + adjusted tire cooling and conductance for those cars that have been updated lately. It's fair to say that rain physics are "basic" compared to how complicated rF2 tire model itself is.

mesfigas and Ho3n3r like this.
  10. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Maybe I'm not going to create a thread or a wish list just for that, so I'm saying it here hoping that S397 is going through this :

I would like that when a car comes out of the sand or grass, it gets dirty the track and that it is integrated in the realroad.

This realroad can be saved or in autosave mode.

This is the same principle as the wet track and its improvement :

Having to adapt its steering more finely.

In addition visually it would be added in immersion ;).

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

With all due respect you don't know what S397 are working on behind closed doors but only what they have announced publicly, you're simply assuming they're not working on any physic related attributes.

Ernie and aguy0523 like this.
  12. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

That is right.

We can hope a good surprise.

But I really think that the poll is usefull, that's my point ;)

13. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I thought the poll was anonymous, actually no.

I have just seen something interesting :

Marcel Offermans voted "Why not, but not really my priority (2018)", the penultimate choice possible (4/5 choice).

I think he is prudent and prefer to study the question. This proves the interest of S397 for this subject, but does not give me too much hope on this subject !

In any case a good surprise accompanying the great graphics advanced rain and wet tracks should not happen logically.

I hope that S397 will think about it, and I think they will do so given the interest that Marcel Offermans brings to this poll.

Thank you all for your participation (the poll is NOT closed).

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was going to vote, but was disappointed to find no laser-scanned option...

In all seriousness though*, wet weather physics has been lacking forever. For the first year or so all tyres lost the same amount of grip (as a percentage) when the track went from 'damp' to 'wet' which can't even be seen as a placeholder. ISI seemed intent on an all or nothing approach which led to nothing most of the time. The hope is S397 actually makes stuff like this useable and believable once they get dx11 and the UI out of the way.

*actually some people would argue the track layout and surface irregularities should determine puddle placement and drainage. I'd almost bet my left one there would be complaints if we get improved wet physics without that. I'd say that's a nice future goal, but let's not get bogged down waiting for perfection and have nothing in the meantime. Nearly all games use smoke and mirrors and really most people don't care, we shouldn't be so elitist that we shun simplified features and have missing features because of it.

Rui Santos likes this.
  15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Physics improvements and new physics about rain and aquaplaning must be a pain even for ISI/s397 to be in RF2.
    i believe it must be a very difficult task because it probably need a lot of time and many ppl to work with it.
    i would like to race in the rain and having super duper physics but its gonna take time i think for us to have them.
    not sure if we also have wind physics on RF 2 ?.

16. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Tire model must be finished before thinking about rain.

aguy0523 likes this.
  17. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

To do things really well, it would take time indeed.

Small successive releases over 1 year or 1 year and a half would do the trick : a continuous progression from the first release?

For the wind physics, 100% agree. It may be a little less important and urgent, but I guess something good can be done in a shorter time.

Regarding the rain, the very bulk of the work would be rain tires with relief, real rain tyres... and their effectiveness on the puddles of water. For the track it would be I suppose the formation of puddles more or less deep according to the reliefs of the track ...

This subject would be complicated but surely exciting for S397 ! :)

18. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I think it will never be finished and it will always be in constant improvement (at the highest rate possible I hope).

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would much rather prefer dirt physics to be implemented. It could bring some new audience. We need the best physics for offroad racing.

Rastas likes this.
  20. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Both are important, but "urgency" so the priority is from my point of view the wet track and the rain.

Nevertheless, dirt physics could also be used on grass, sand, mud and gravels of classic tracks.

If a passage on the grass / sand dirtied the track in real time, integrated to the realroad, it would be great !

Unfortunately SPASKIS, I do not imagine S397 interested in dirt tracks ... maybe I'm wrong? :)