KNOWN Please some detailed info about mod related crashes

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by ops, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ops

ops Registered

Hello,

first of all, I'd like to say: great game! I really enjoy it.

Unfortunately, working out how to get a bunch of cars and tracks added to the game, is somewhat of a pain. The CTD issue when starting a race seems pretty common, unfortunately the game gives no error message at all.

Maybe you can help me to find what's causing those crashes with some more detailed info:

1. Is the trace.txt all you can get as debug info? I launch with "trace=1000", are there any other useful debug parameters? Just *anything* to narrow down the problem (also mod or dev tools)?

2. Even a fresh install with just the official ISI content installed gives a good bunch of errors in the trace (see bottom), can those types of errors be ignored? (as the game runs fine with no 3rd party mods)

3. Are there any types of errors in the trace that clearly indicate a reason for a crash?

4. Can a mod overwrite/remove a file of another mod when it's installed/uninstalled? Does the order of installing mods matter?

5. I've read that the number of AI drivers can be a problem, is this true? The game runs fine with 29 AI opponents on full details, using official content. (With mods I get also crashes on practise mode without any AI)

6. Can the graphics settings be a cause for those crashes? If yes, which graphics settings?

7. Do the cars produce those crashes, the tracks, combinations of them, or just anything?

Thanks for any help, I still wonder why the program can't give us a simple error message telling where the problem was ;-)

----

Errors from fresh install: (see 2.)

setup.cpp 1575: Livery file _-17655_SPARKF3_71ALT excluded from list on account of being too long
    setup.cpp 1575: Livery file _-17655_SPARKF3_72ALT excluded from list on account of being too long
    setup.cpp 1575: Livery file _-17655_M2009_01ALT excluded from list on account of being too long
    setup.cpp 1575: Livery file _-17655_M2009_02ALT excluded from list on account of being too long
    setup.cpp 1575: Livery file _-17655_M2009_03ALT excluded from list on account of being too long

tire_manager 1370: Non-existent tire brand ""

util.cpp 1045: Unable to adjust texture for material: ...

setup.cpp 2567: Could not find <Trackname>.svm
    setup.cpp 2567: Could not find <Trackname>.race.svm

pitcrew.cpp 341: CUBE error loading animation file HOLDLEFT.ANM: Error locating animation file HOLDLEFT.ANM
    pitcrew.cpp 341: CUBE error loading animation file HOLDRIGHT.ANM: Error locating animation file HOLDRIGHT.ANM

driver.cpp 477: unable to find RCD file for driver of Group4 class car

setup.cpp 2567: Could not find <Trackname>.ini

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Unfortunately, tough to track. There was a 96 mod issue which is fixed in the next build, other than that, we're having trouble tracking down mods that cause crashing to be able to see what is happening with them. We obviously don't have every third party mod, and can't possibly test them, but I think this is part of the reason we might be starting to release some test builds to the public as well as the regular ones.

Remember you don't need to be driving on a car and track for the sim to be loading/scanning it. Otherwise it couldn't list your cars and tracks in the menus.

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I heard it would be only devmode version. Is this true? If so, will the content structure format be changed to match single player and online component structure formats? Right now it is completely different and you cannot directly install rf2 content without tweaking the files.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

4. 88mphTim

The unstable releases? No.

5. ops

ops Registered

Thanks for your reply. Nice to hear that you're aware of those problems and working on it :)

I think a big problem is that there's no error message, so it's very hard for players to report buggy mods. Also, the crashes seem sometimes a bit irregular (e.g. first I was doing a race, worked fine, then same car on same track and practise run, and it crashed), so it can happen that you install a mod, it "works" first, then install few others, and suddenly the game crashes and it was actually the first mod's bug (not sure about this but that's how it seems to me).

If we have a strong feeling about a certain 3rd party mod to be buggy, is there a place in the forum to report it?

6. 88mphTim