Please ISI move userdata to core folder (or separate userdata from installed data)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SPASKIS, Nov 3, 2013.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

I don't think you need to do so. Doesn't win7 write under user documents just when installing under programm files ? I don't need to seperate userdata or do something special than installing on any partition outside the programm files and rf2 uses directly the userdata from core install folder not the one already exist from the official build. I need just to add a shortcut on the desctop. The only thing where i don't look yet for is the ability to set one package folder for both.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

I don't think you need to do so. Doesn't win7 write under user documents just when installing under programm files ? I don't need to seperate userdata or do something special than installing on any partition outside the programm files and rf2 uses directly the userdata from core install folder not the one already exist from the official build. I need just to add a shortcbut on the desctop. The only thing where i don't look yet for is the ability to set one package folder for both.

Edit: you where faster than me. Ok you are saying it is possible to set one specific package folder for mutible builds than ?

Sorry double post, don't know what happens.

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Just to clarify:

I already have a shared package data for all my installs. This is easy to do since there is the possibility to do so.

In mod manager you specify where the content to be installed is searched for in "package" format and where it will be installed in "folder" format. The are of the screen where content is presented does the work perfect. It shows all the components installed in the specified data folder + the uninstalled componenents in the specified package folder. Functionally perfect. Unfortunately this is just a content installer tool and has nothing to do with what happens in the game...

rF2 launcher also specifies which data path is using and can be easily changed in the advanced sheet. However when you change it, not only you are specifying where tracks and cars are, but also everything under userdata. I really don't think it would be that hard to have the following structure within the launcher. It would prevent me for example from continuously having to redefine screen resolution and control assignation when I swap between racing using 1920x1080 to doing other stuff with the laptop at 1366x768 and keyboard (without wheel) and TV for replay editting and so.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6587895/userdata vs installed.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  4. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Your request is too personal (my opinion), I think it is not worth the hard work, which oblige ISI to implement, all of the editing and proofreading.
    Realistically, the system is a priori very well, I admit a few bugs, they will be paid in the future ...

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

@SPASKIS

Good to know. I don't make me further tought's about since the last unstable build installation but i have no problems with mixed user data because the second install seem to use the user data from root install folder already. So there seems to be just the issue with the double package folder or not ? At least it looks like that for me.

6. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

The shortcuts point it to the correct exe?

You just set your configuration once in each launcher and the guard (if it points to each installation)
    On build330 build339 and this is how I did.

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes the shortcut is right. I set it manually and not with the install process because it will replace the first one. After i did i rename the second to unstable and start the second install from there which is directly on c: installed. It just uses the root folder for me and when i could link all installation to one package folder, i'm fine with it.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Told people to do that since day I did, I did , I did ! lol

But why have everything in a single folder, messy ugh ?

Packages -ISI , Packages -Cars , Packages -Tracks as my example is neater , easier to find stuff in years time.

In your ROOT Packages should be nothing but temp skins, mods you use and your jsondetails >>>> imho

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  9. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

I use Mklink, a 7 feature to virtually move my userdata from the core folder, here is how i did it:
    1. create a folder "rf2" in another drive than the core, let's say "e:\rf2" , my game core is on the ssd "S:\rfactor2"
    2. move the userdata folder from "rfactor2" folder to "rf2" (if you are not safe, you can also copy then rename the original "userdata1")
    3. open the command line as an admin (start, programs, accessories, rclick, open as an admin...)
    5. type mklink /j s:\rfactor2\userdata e:\rf2\userdata
    It works if can see the folder in rfactor2 with a shortcut icon linking to e:\rf2userdata

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  10. canastos

canastos Registered

Yes, that's the way to get around this; but shouldn't it be /D instead of /J?

byyyyyyyye

11. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

With /J windows will treat it as a folder, /D is seen as a shortcut to a folder.
    I didn't try to understand the differences since /J works fine for me. :)

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I understand SPASKIS' problem and it really isn't related to UAC. He is simply saying he wants a way to isolate the "Installed" and "Manifests" folders from the other UserData stuff so they can be in a common location. He is right too, these two folders aren't build dependent and pointing ModMgr to a common Packages and common Installed folder would be a big time saver. So far cubbi's sugestion of using mklink seems like the best option outside of one supported by ISI. So basically you could have a common Installed folder for all your builds... Then in the ModMgr when you install content, it installs across all your builds. But I agree with Lazza that this would be a more advanced setup. With rF1 we had problems with mods conflicting from time to time so we were forced to do separate installs. But the goal of rF2's new package system is to avoid the need for multiple installs. There will be some people that want to test the stable and unstable builds but I am thinking that anyone that is interested in beta testing is probably the type that doesn't have a problem with linking their common Installed folder in to each build using mklink.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Here is what I suggest. Install rF2 in the default locations (Core in the Program Files folder and The Datapath in the Docs folder) but append "\<buildnumber>" to the end of both the core and datapath. So you end up with:
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\342
    C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\342

But then create this folder by hand:
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\Common

Place your Packages folder in that folder.

Then go into the ModMgr and point the "Packages Dir" to: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\Common\Packages
    And the "Working Dir" to: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\Common

Now install a car (Only MutiCmps and rfmods appear to create the Manifests folder). Now when you look in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\Common you will see three folders, Installed, Manifests and Packages.

Now say an unstable build with the number 343 comes out. When you run the installer put the Core in C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\343 and the datapath in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\343. When your done installing, go into your datapath and delete the Manifests and Installed folders and then go to a command prompt and run these two commands:
    mklink "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\343\Installed" "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\Common\Installed" /d
    mklink "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\343\Manifests" "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\Common\Manifests" /d

Going forward all you will need to do is install the new build into it's own folders and then delete the preinstalled "Installed" and "Manifests" folders and then run those two mklink commands (with the correct paths). Not a perfect solution but probably less work then installing all your content over and over and wasting a lot of storage.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I didn't know mklink but it is the easiest from what I have read. I don't know what manifests contains either so I am not sure if it should be related to each build or to common content. In any case for the manifest I could live with having one per build.

Thanks everybody for the help.

A little offtopic but related: getmod feature places content under default package folder. At least it did in previous builds. I think it is related to only specifying it in modmgr and not in the game. This might be problematic when permanent content downloads properly work, since it would split package folder into two. Right know it is not a problem since only vmods can be typicallly downloaded and those are not as important as other content.

Finally I insist that everything commented should be able to de defined within the game. Having to mklink with every installation sounds time consuming. Installed content is static for definition and not really build dependant. Anything that the core is generating or modifying should be placed somewhere else to avoid problems. Remember this is an evolving game and build release is and will be usual. Besides it will ease up a lot the possibility of having different profiles in terms of resolution and graphical settings, control assigns...Right now this is not supported and thats why plr files should be able to be saved and loaded.

Take it or not. It sounds really easy to implement and the flexibility it provides will not harm anybody but benefit and save time to some people like me and hopefully others
    Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The Manifests folder is not build dependent and it is mandatory that it goes along with the installed folder. For our league we toyed around with the idea of mandating that all our members do a stand alone install just for the league and then use a tool to synchronize the installed and manifests folders (we used simsyncpro) as a way you avoid the packaging system entirely. It worked perfect but we decided to embrace the package system rather than hack our way around it. Now, with the Get Missing Components button working our members simply connect to the server to get the latest content. It's working perfectly.

16. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

So much difficulties when having a double OS setup solves the problem! And 2 HDD of course! ;)

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes and for every single user a installation is reqiured, just to edit and setup a specific player profile. I can't see a option for multible player profiles in game as it was with older software. Is this feature dead because of user authentification purpose in game and online ?

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You can do profiles for hosting servers (just copy the player folder by hand and give it a new name along with the PLR file) but not for the client.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thank you for the info Noel. Not that is very important, at least atm but it is annoying when switching driver, like my doughter sometimes gets ambitions to drive when i'm sitting in and it is annoying to setup everything forth and back. It was nice to be able to switch profiles in game.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

speed1, I totally understand because my son drives and in rF1 I had a profile for him too. He is 6 so he uses some aids and I have a second set of pedals that are closer to him which needs to be mapped. I am going to try using a profile in rF2 because it DID work several months ago but someone informed me this was disabled in resent builds but I haven't verified this myself.

I will report back in a few mins.

Edit: Just as I suspected, profiles still work. Just copy your original "Player" folder and name it "Daughter" and then go into the "Daughter" folder and rename Player.plr to Daughter.plr. Now when you want to let her play just click the advanced tab in the Launcher and add this option to the command line:
    Code:
    +profile "Daughter"