Please help; what triggers the sounds?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

I'm busy with some sounds and some of them; I can't get to work.......
    I realized it's not coming "out of it's own" and (I think) has to be triggered.

I figured; the sound.sfx file says where to look for -lets say- a rumble sound when you go over a curb.....but HOW does the game/sfx file know WHEN do execute that sound?
    The same for brake his and the same for turbo whine.......
    I can just put the turbo whine in the sfx file, but it doesn't know when to play it.

So; there should be a file saying when, right? (I hope so! ;) )

Would someone please enlighten me? :)

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

The TDF has some influence in the sounds generated from terrain contact. For certain material:

"Sound=dry"

Would then reference from the SFX:

VS_INSIDE_ROADNOISE_DRY=TMTires\roadroll_in.wav
    or
    VS_OUTSIDE_ROADNOISE_DRY=1.60,TMTires\roadroll_ex.wav

(depending on what camera was selected).

These are the normal surface noises available:
    Judging from the structure of things when collision (meshes touching) occurs a condition is examined: If normal, then surface plays; If skidding, then skid sounds play.

Specifically for brakes there are lines in the SFX to specify at what speed (m/s) the sample plays at full volume. These are lines from the 370z:

Code:
    //------------------
    // BRAKE-HISS
    //------------------
    VS_INSIDE_BRAKES_LOW=370Z_GT4\brakes_low.wav
    VS_INSIDE_BRAKES_HIGH=370Z_GT4\brakes_high.wav
    VS_OUTSIDE_BRAKES_LOW=370Z_GT4\brakes_low.wav
    VS_OUTSIDE_BRAKES_HIGH=370Z_GT4\brakes_high.wav

// Note: all speeds are in meters/sec: 50.0 m/s = 112 mph = 180 kph 
    //
    // Lower BrakePressure numbers will cause the volume to ramp up faster with less applied pressure, and will be more steady at higher pressures.
    // Higher BrakePressure numbers will tend to make the volume more dependent on applied pressure.
    //
    // Temperature effects on brake hiss volume are not implemented yet. 

BrakeRampSpeed=3.0            // volume ramps up to this speed
    BrakeBlendSpeeds=(8.0, 23.0)  // blends between low- and high-speed brake hiss
    BrakeFadeSpeeds=(23.0, 42.0)  // fades out high-speed brake hiss between these speeds
    BrakePressure=0.20            // defines how brake pressure affects brake hiss volume
    The main trigger is if the brakes are applied. View and speed also influence how and what is played.

I've yet to look into turbo.

3. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

If a sound is not played perhaps you are not using the right wav file format. Use only 44100hz 16bit samples to avoid issues. And make sure the sample volume is high enough, of course!

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

It's a bit more clear, thanks for that!

The main issue I'm now having, is the brake sound that is already in the sfx but doesn't work and I try to implement the turbo sounds; just putting them in the sfx doesn't work.
    So I figured; there must be a trigger for that to put them "on".

@Raintyre,

Sorry, just read your post after I posted. But see what I said just now in this post; there has to be a trigger for the turbo; brake would be okay as it should be in the mod already, but turbo is not.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  5. lordpantsington

What ISI vehicles have been released with turbo sounds that make you think there has to be a turbo trigger?

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thats a good one. I thought the Skippy and modern F2, right?
    It's not so much that I compare, but just common sense tels me the sound is not going to play because it's in the sfx; something has to tell the sfx it has to do that.
    Like you said: "If normal, then surface plays; If skidding, then skid sounds play.".........so.........something has to tell the turbo too.

But as I said; "I figure(d)" and I'm far, FAR from being an expert. If you know or even think it's otherwise; I'd be happy to follow your train of thoughts.

Thanks for sticking with me mate!

7. lordpantsington

***This post got the whiteout, so someone coming back through isn't mislead***

Looked in the Skippy files, indeed the engine INI has some physics things in it for turbo.
    There is nothing special in the SFX for turbo. Conclusion: if you hear turbo sounds in game for the skippy, they are mixed with the engine or some other sample.

Right now there is nothing defined for turbo sound, and no parameters defined to control what would be played. I don't think what you are looking for exists.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Adrian

Adrian Registered

[MENTION=92]lordpantsington[/MENTION] It sure does exist and works fine for me.

[MENTION=5153]Navigator[/MENTION] Can you paste your .sfx here, i'll figure out whats going wrong for you.

Code:
    ------------------
    TURBO
    ------------------
    // inside
    //VS_INSIDE_TURBO_WHINE=0.11,Default\turbo_whine_2. wav
    //VS_INSIDE_TURBO_HISS=0.6,Default\turbo_hiss_2.wav
    //VS_INSIDE_TURBO_DUMP_1=0.15,Default\turbo_dump_low _7.wav
    //VS_INSIDE_TURBO_DUMP_2=0.15,Default\turbo_dump_med _7.wav
    //VS_INSIDE_TURBO_DUMP_3=0.15,Default\turbo_dump_hig h_7.wav

//TurboWhineRPMRangeInside=(8000,103000) // volume and pitch both ramp up between these RPM points
    //TurboWhineLoadVolInside=(0.5,0.75,0.25,0.8) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    //TurboHissRPMRangeInside=(8000,103000) // volume ramps up between these RPM points
    //TurboHissLoadVolInside=(0.5,0.75,0.35,1.0) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    //TurboDumpVelocitiesInside=(0.06,0.09,0.12) // thresholds between dump samples (NOTE: magnitudes depend on vehicle)

// outside
    //VS_OUTSIDE_TURBO_WHINE=0.04,Default\turbo_whine_2. wav
    //VS_OUTSIDE_TURBO_HISS=0.1,Default\turbo_hiss_2.wav
    //VS_OUTSIDE_TURBO_DUMP_1=0.1,Default\turbo_dump_low _7.wav
    //VS_OUTSIDE_TURBO_DUMP_2=0.1,Default\turbo_dump_med _7.wav
    //VS_OUTSIDE_TURBO_DUMP_3=0.1,Default\turbo_dump_hig h_7.wav

//TurboWhineRPMRangeOutside=(8000,103000) // volume and pitch both ramp up between these RPM points
    //TurboWhineLoadVolOutside=(0.5,0.75,0.25,0.8) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    //TurboHissRPMRangeOutside=(8000,103000) // volume ramps up between these RPM points
    //TurboHissLoadVolOutside=(0.5,0.75,0.35,1.0) // min normalized load, max normalized load, volume_mult@min, volume_mult@max
    //TurboDumpVelocitiesOutside=(0.06,0.09,0.12) // thresholds between dump samples (NOTE: magnitudes depend on vehicle)

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, thanks for the help!!

I thought long and hard, read about it, thought about what you guys said and the conclusion is;

Fill in the turbo in the sound sfx AND the engine.INI..........and now I got it working! :)

I'dd rather not put my sfx or engine.ini in here as it is a private mod but based on an existing one. Some things might carry the name of the Original and I don't want that to be shown in order to avoid people starting and......well, you know ;)

But I made a new sound.mass, put the skippy lines in the engine and sound files and off course, the turbo sounds are in the mass.
    Sounds very nice btw!!

Thanks again folks!

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The code? As I said; the skippy. The lines from the turbo in the engine.ini and the lines from the turbo sound I put in the SFX file.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Just one extra question;

In the file there are some numbers when it says what sound to play. In the example of Lordpantsington:
    VS_INSIDE_ROADNOISE_GRASS=1.60,TMTires\grassroll_i n.wav
    VS_INSIDE_ROADNOISE_DIRT=1.20,TMTires\gravelroll_i n.wav

The numers "1.60" and "1.20" ....... what do they mean?
    Do they multiply that sound?

12. dandar

dandar Registered

They are an optional volume multiplier, but i' can't tell you what is the "measure unit" (could be a PCT % or dbm and they could be linear or logarithmic :( ). So trial and error is my best approach.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Got it, thanks Dandar.
    It works as a multiplier and got the thing working as I wanted! :)