Please Help; Can't take this awkward cockpit view/perspective much longer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, May 14, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've felt this for a while but never bothered to say anything but I just can't take it anymore...

The sides of the cars (cockpit view) look and feel like they are getting lower and lower the further to the sides they are from you. For example in the Eve F3; The dash and the clear plexiglass above it look like a nice proper height relative to the in-game viewpoint/camera/driver's eyes, but the further to the sides I look on my triple screens the more and more it looks like the physical car body gets lower and lower relative to me. When I look to my right side or my left side the clear plexiglass stuff looks like it is as low as my lower stomach rather than about shoulder height. The cockpit, from centre screen to your sides, should hardly if at all look like it is getting lower. It should be an almost, if not perfectly, consistent height all around you like in real life. As it is now, I can't even see the cockpit AT ALL half-way past my outside monitors. Totally messed up. I can't lower my view anymore because, like I said, on the centre screen it is already low enough and very good.

When I look at the car body on my outside monitors it looks and feels like I have my in-game seat elevated up to the very top of the cockpit lol, but when I look forward my dash and the plexiglass over the dash make it look like my seat is nice, low, and realistic.

Or in other words it looks as if the front of the car is pointed upwards and the rear is pointed downwards (as if it's on a steep uphill) relative to my vision & body.

Or in other words it's as if the rear of my seat is massively lifted up real high while the front of my seat is proper height or something.

The further back and to the sides of the car, the lower, relative to me, the car's body looks and seems, rather than wrapping around my body at a consistent height/level like it should.

It's driving me crazy and COMPLETELY killing the immersion and feel of being in a cockpit and having bodywork wrapped around you.

EDIT: I am using 0,0 for my seat settings, FOV 25, multi-view on (triple screens).

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I changed the seat pitch in the PLR to 5 from 0 and then because of that I had to lower my view or else I couldn't even see the dash at all. Once the view got lowered to near the same amount as on the default seat pitch then the car body wrapped around me much more evenly and much better, but now the problem is that my in-game eyes/perspective is as if I am staring up into the sky/trees rather than straight ahead.

Something is not right. Does the cockpit have it's own separate view apart from the driver and the rest of the game-world? Because all things being even, and with a perfectly leveled seat/eye pitch (when using the default seat pitch of 0) there is NO WAY the cockpit should look like this. I looked at the cockpit from the external cameras and it is obviously modelled just fine, so I don't know why we experience this weird view/perception when in cockpit view (unless the seat pitch is totally down facing then that would explain it, but I have it set to the default 0 which I am assuming is perfectly leveled front to back).

Extremely frustrating.

3. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

My guess is that the angle your monitors are at is different to what the game expects, I don't have triples myself but you may wish to look for a setting that deals with the angle of the monitors relative to each other.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Can't help on the 3 screen bug, but F3, Eve your eyepoint should be above the pexiglass, probably higher in Spark then Eve as you appear to sit more bolt upright in it.

Unless you a pygmy . hehehe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to look through the pexiglass myself in Eve but it is feels too low for the vehicle besides then you cant see the tacho redline when you sit too low..

Just to see redline I need to use a narrower FOV then I really like for a single screen

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Na nothing to do with the angle of my monitors. It has to do with what is being rendered on screen and the perspective/eyepoint/camera from which it is being rendered from. Moving my monitors won't change that.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

My eyepoint is just slightly over the plexiglass, but the further along the sides you look the further downwards the plexiglass olong the side of the cockpit looks like it is getting, rather then staying at the same height. When you look at the side monitors you can see the top edge of the plexiglass from an angler that looks like its being rendered from the above the roll-hoop or something, but on the centre screen it looks fine. It's as if the rear of the seat is massively tilted upward or something because the side of the cockpit looks as if it is getting lower and lower from your eyes the more to the side you look.

You can see it in almost any pic or youtube video. Even on a single screen provided the FOV is high enough.

7. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I don't have triples, but when using TrackIR to look around the sides of the cockpit look fine, perfectly level. Seat pitch 0. Are your screens at eye level? Please post some photos of your setup.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

[​IMG]

Instead of the cockpit going in a downwards angle (red lines), and looking like the front is sticking up in the air relative to the rear, or in other words making the car look like its back-end is going through the ground and sitting 5 feet lower than the front-end, it should look like the green lines, so that the car looks like it is just about level height (as it should be obviously) front to back relative to the driver.

9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Actually I think hariseldon is correct. Your monitors are angled more than the game expects. If your virtual view is anywhere between looking straight ahead or 90 degrees it is correct for the monitor to display something like the 2nd or 3rd image below, the edge of the plexiglass will not be parallel to your monitor's edge. But it should look correct from your perspective if the monitors are angled correctly.

View attachment 12718

View attachment 12720

View attachment 12721

View attachment 12722

10. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

It would only look like that if your eye level was level with the metal top edge of the cockpit. You are above it so it looks like this

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I think it is pretty accurate tbh. I've made a picture of rl sitting besides a table.

View attachment 12726

as you can see the edge of the table is looking higher. where i sit the table is at shoulder height and i tried to look horizontally.
    As long as your eyes are positioned higher than the object you are looking at it will always look as if the line is going downward. On the other hand if your eyes are lower than the object....the line rises when coming closer to you.

12. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It has nothing to do with my monitors. I can sit 5 feet higher than my monitors or 5 feet lower than my monitors, that will not change anything being rendered on screen. The onscreen image will be displaying the exact same perspective regardless where I sit or how my monitors are setup.

The effect is still happening in your picture, you just don't notice it because you aren't seeing a large enough image because your FOV is relatively low for a single screen and you had to over-lower your seat view as well.

There is something gimped.

On the default seat pitch (0) with a FOV of 25 degress and seat position at 0,0 the cockpit is completely gone and not visible for the outer half of my outer screens because of this "car is getting lower and lower relative to your view" effect.

14. Eddy

Eddy Registered

[​IMG]

sorry for me not being able to say exactly what i mean in English but maybe the above picture will explain what i mean. (some perspective basics in drawing)

Or is that not what you mean....

15. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

According to your settings that sounds correct. This is what you should see:

View attachment 12727 View attachment 12728 View attachment 12729

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

I have no idea but I share his feeling without multiview in use and with only one screen I had this feeling also, for example, I feel the same even with AC. I can't remember well but I think this feeling I had with the older sims already and something seems to me in the FOV theory and its use faulty in general.

17. TechAde

TechAde Registered

There's nothing gimped here, rF2 is rendering the correct perspective for the given eyepoint and FOV. If you want the edge of the wind shield to be rendered horizontally then you would have to set your eyepoint at the same height as the edge of the windshield, as in Barf Factor's images in post #12.

This is clearly demonstrated by Eddy's image in post #14.

18. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Please don't be offended by the suggestion about the angle of your side monitors. I know you are convinced there is something wrong with the way rFactor 2 is rendering things, but according to your settings, the side monitors should show a downward sloping edge. The way this appears to you will be affected by your monitor angle. If your side monitors are angled too much, it will exaggerate the appearance of a downward slope. If angled correctly, the perspective should be the same as what you would see if sitting in the real cockpit.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

See what I mean with which I agree is decent POV

Why have a tacho to see 7 grand.

Needs this done please Tim. :)

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

As I said I have no idea, so I will not comment further but what is it then what are we doing wrong, change of eye position?

I can not see any setting in game but AC offers that and it does not help, it looks even more wrong. :confused: