Physics Engine & control input frequency to lock max frames to (or multiples of 60)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Jul 18, 2012.

1. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

To complicate things a little more you have to think that the optic nerve signals arrive faster to brain than those of the hands... ;)

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yes.. 22.5" 2304x1440@80Hz.. pure sex

3. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

Yes, and very hot too. :p;)

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This is what I always thought.

physics rate=400Hz
    FFB rate=100Hz

Info like this really should be in the Wiki. Not sure why it isn't as it's a common question from the experienced sim racer.

5. Bill Zimmerman

Bill Zimmerman Registered

I think RF was/is approximately 800 Hz or so in physics and 110 Hz in steering if I remember right? It's been awhile but I think that's what I remember

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

So we know physics for sure is 400Hz but FFB rate seems to be up for interpretation. :p

8. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Just done a little playing with an internals plugin, I can confirm that both control inputs and force feedback outputs are at 400Hz in rF2.

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Cool, finally this question got answered. Thanks!

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sweet thanks, are they locked together or is the ffb/control input frequency running in its own seperate thread like in the rF1 1150 update?

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Curious how many times you may ask for the same thing.
    BTW are you sure that input freq and FFB update freq has been separated in rf1?

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I said it, TechAde verified it, and its clearly in the rFactor 1150 update build notes, and in the plr settings. So, curious, how many times have you clicked on this thread without properly reading and researching.

13. TechAde

TechAde Registered

As I understand it there are two main threads, physics & graphics. The physics thread encompasses controller polling and FFB output, the graphics runs on it's own thread independent of physics.

14. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

From rFactor 1150 change log:
    But from my experience, graphics, physics, ffb and input were all tied together in rF 1. That is very noticable at low fps conditions (like 15-20).

In rF 2 both physics and FFB/input works at 400Hz and they are separated from graphics, so your fps have no influence on physics engine.

Also what is interesting - when doing some tests with AI (29AI @ Mills and me at the back. Full formation lap), only 2 threads are beeing used. On the other hand, when doing solo tests (just me in F3 @ Monaco, one full lap), I clearly see all 4 cores are beeing used in almost 100%.

15. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Are you using a Sony CRT?
    I have an FW-900 with that exact max. resolution and RF2 looks so much better on it than anything else I've seen...including triple screen.

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

She is my baby. Actually one of my babies. I have three that I switch out in two months intervals. I recently took this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgs_-PxfzBA to see if I could visually see the lag on a cheaper LCD. Not much lag to my surprise but the ghosting is insane. Super distracting. 6minutes in I pause it showing the issue pretty well.

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I run mine at 1900x1200@85Hz for regular desktop browsing. I run every single game...san RBR (which does not allow that resolution) at 2304x1440@85Hz.

I turn everything on and to max settings in RF2. I sync video in the settings menu for my two GTX560Ti cards. The framerate is locked at 85-86 fps....and super smooth. I'll be very unhappy if this monitor dies anytime soon. It has served me well over the years.