[Physics Calculator] Aero Data Entry

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by rFactor2seminoob, Dec 15, 2019.

1. rFactor2seminoob

rFactor2seminoob Registered

Hi Guys,

I am currently really struggling with entering data for aero in the physics calculator. I know that an F1 car's front wing's drag coefficient is 1-1.3 but in the drag params, it says 0.083.

So how does the 1-1.3 translate to the 0.083? And if drag params are not the only data value that is different in real life compared to in the calculator, what are the other ones?

Attached Files:

2. Emery

Emery Registered

You're thinking wrong. Drag coefficient (cd) is only one part; you want the drag coefficient factored by area (cdA). While cd is dimensionless, area is going to be in metric units. It's also possible that drag is in total force at some speed; I'll have to check on that...

3. Emery

Emery Registered

From Bristow's bible:
    Thus it does look like cdA is the right value, with A in square meters.

4. rFactor2seminoob

rFactor2seminoob Registered

Is there a lift coefficient factored by the area? If so does it go into the lift params?

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Lift coefficient isn't factored by area; it's the lifting force, but you choose all the locations to apply lift (whole car, front wing, fenders, rear wing, diffuser). Remember that downforce is -lift.

Here, just look in Bristow's bible (https://drive.google.com/file/d/16bnK08bOgk_Ccjs5CSsqnc-3WQkS8aoW/view?usp=sharing). Even though it's for rF1 and a few things are obsolete, it's indispensable for trying to figure things out.

Yoss' old site is also worthwhile: http://yoss.free.fr/rfactornfr/Modding_Tutorial_Website/PhysicsGlossary.shtml