Perspective - Track Conversions

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by JRS, Aug 19, 2023.

1. JRS

JRS Registered

I am going to try to convert an rF1 simple of simple tracks to rF2 to learn a bit.

Question is 'Perspective'.

How is this handled or done?
    i.e. Some tracks, converted tracks, when in the driver's view look okay, then from the external view, trackside, the cars look too small on the track. I notice it most on street circuits. iDT Toronto is a good example. I know that track inside out and the view as the cars come through turn one and out to Lakeshore, the long view, the track looks too wide.

Noticed this with the Belle Isle that's on Steam as well? I think it's on Steam?

Is this a modder's error or is the track done incorrectly to begin with? I'm doing a simple DDT but perspective still must factor in.

Anything is appreciated.

Regards.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Track sizing can be done wrong, but it's about the size of things, not perspective. If there's an apparent mismatch between what you see from the car and what you see externally, it's probably just the way you perceive the size with your settings. If you aren't running VR or correctly setup triples, you're always looking at some representation of the scene rather than real life dimensions of it. There's also the element of car height and cabin/cockpit size that can affect your view of the track around you, with incorrect seat position potentially playing a part.

It's probably fairly rare for track sizing to be very wrong, but width can certainly be questionable with some tracks. Laying out the ribbon as a single width is probably the usual way to begin, with modifications for specific sections needing to be done manually afterwards. If there isn't a good reference indicating certain parts of the track are different width to the majority of it, the modder might simply miss it.

Cars would/should very rarely be the wrong size, as if you're going to model a car you usually have pretty good references for its shape and size.

3. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Perhaps the FOV of the external cameras?

4. JRS

JRS Registered

Thank you.

I thought I saw a second reply here but it seems to be gone.

Triples here and almost certain they're setup correctly. I've calculated the correct fov, set proper widths/heights/bezels, eye distance, etc.

Either way, a light went on. Particularly fov. I'll guess some of these tracks have cameras setup in a way where a 'fisheye lens' kind of effect may be distorting perspective.

As well, I guess the 'ribbon', I think it was called, the road, as long as that follows the rules of track width it should work. ?? I'm most likely using the incorrect terms but I think I get the idea.

I'll play with that for sure.

Appreciated!