Pedal Dead-Zone on fresh install

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by James Defant, Mar 5, 2020.

1. James Defant

James Defant Registered

I apologize if this issue has already been raised elsewhere.

I have played this sim since 2013 - off and on over the years. I have always wanted to enjoy it, but the handling of most of the cars has caused me to quit in frustration - despite this being the single greatest thing that the sim racing community loves about rF2. I play other sims as well (iRacing, AC, ACC, Project Cars, RRE, KartKraft, KRP, Dirt Rally, RBR) so I have a basis of comparison.

I have a Thrustmaster T500RS, AMD 2600X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 970...

I fired rF2 up yesterday, and was immediately dismayed by how imprecise the brakes are. I check my settings. I've never really noticed the MIN / MAX buttons underneath the clutch/brake/accelerator pedal indicators before. Each pedal is set up with about a 5-10% dead-zone before the sim registers any movement at all, which, at the end of my pedal is 1-2cms of movement. Clicking the MIN button with the pedal depressed and clicking the MAX button fully pressed made my pedals respond in a linear fashion.

This completely changed how rF2 drives.
    Now it feels great - responsive, predictable. It only took me 7 years to figure this out.

I understand that real cars have dead-zones in their pedals before they do anything. You can, however, feel those points in your feet, in your back, in your inner-ear as you brake, accelerate, or use the clutch. Not so in a sim.

Being that you (S397) have been spending so much time reworking the GUI, you should very much consider a mandatory wheel config when the sim is first set up, or upon any controller changes. A good UI guides the user to set what is necessary to have a good experience. I can't stress this enough what a difference a few innocuous mouse-clicks have made to my enjoyment of this sim. Certainly kept me from racking up much time on it.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can't say I've ever had this happen. Strange one.

*I'll just belatedly add: I agree. There should be some sort of process where you are stepped through the controls and things are made to work correctly, so the game can properly be evaluated/enjoyed. This should happen immediately/automatically on first rF2 boot, and be an easy to see option at any time. Controls, multi-screen setup, FFB, all manner of things need to be up front and explained so people are judging the game based on how it actually is, not how some dodgy hidden settings are making it.

I should also check the new UI to confirm that's not already been added, but I suspect I would have seen something already.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020